Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2016, which one of these cities is the most Southern?
Dallas/Ft Worth 1 1.59%
Houston 9 14.29%
Atlanta 53 84.13%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:02 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times

Advertisements

"Texan" is just another brand of Southern to me. I'll concede that it isn't "typical" Southern but people from Dallas and Houston have overtones that are pretty Southern to me. I can't point to anything unique about them that makes me think they are Western. ATL draws from more Southern states so it would be the clear winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM

77 posts, read 76,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
"Texan" is just another brand of Southern to me. I'll concede that it isn't "typical" Southern but people from Dallas and Houston have overtones that are pretty Southern to me. I can't point to anything unique about them that makes me think they are Western. ATL draws from more Southern states so it would be the clear winner.
That's all it essentially is. Same goes for South Louisiana and South Florida.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Acious View Post
That's all it essentially is. Same goes for South Louisiana and South Florida.
I agree. Southern Louisiana has a very distinct culture that is different from the rest of the South, but it's still Southern. Same goes for most of Texas, at least the eastern half of the state. South Florida on the other hand is debatable because it historically lacks strong ties to the Confederacy (the area had a difficult time supporting large populations prior to the invention of air conditioning). Miami is primarily a product of migration during the 20th century and wasn't even incorporated until 1896. That is why North Florida and South Florida are different worlds culturally.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Atlanta

Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 PM

641 posts, read 801,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Atlanta is definitely the most southern of the three.

Houston is the next most Southern, yet the most international of the three.

DFW has Southern characteristics, but is a mix between, Southern, Great Plains, and Southwestern.
^^This... I live in DFW and been to Houston and Atl several times... this is spot on... I cant put my finger on DFW but it is not southern in the traditional since. I will admit, the characteristics are there in a subtle way along with the others.

**Im from NC and spent a lot of time in NC/SC/GA.... coming to DFW was somewhat of a culture shock... not just bc the city was bigger but the culture was something I wasn't familiar with. Houston seemed more familiar to me and East TX is undoubtedly southern

Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
To me, Atlanta is more southern, but Houston isn't far behind. DFW feels like a larger Kansas City; it doesn't feel or look southern to me.

Atlanta is to Birmingham and Charlotte (Piedmont) as Houston is to the Gulf Coast. With that being said, the southern culture is largely visible in both cities.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM

97 posts, read 122,824 times
How is DFW "midwestern" ?? What seperates Dallas from a southern city say Atlanta??

All these cities are southern. Atlanta is the most southern.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
How is DFW "midwestern" ?? What seperates Dallas from a southern city say Atlanta??

All these cities are southern. Atlanta is the most southern.
The geography of DFW is more Midwestern than Southern. Also DFW is a bigger draw for people from the Midwest than any other area discussed here.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:07 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The geography of DFW is more Midwestern than Southern. Also DFW is a bigger draw for people from the Midwest than any other area discussed here.
Do you have the data to back that up? I'd be interested to see.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
They're all Southern but just different types. Atlanta is more close to Appalachia/Piedmont southern, typical interior Southeast. Houston is Gulf Coast so its more comparable to New Orleans or Mobile and Dallas is more southern plains. I guess Dallas would be the least Southern as it has strong ties with Oklahoma City, Wichita and Kansas City as well as other southern cities so that changes things a bit.

I voted Atlanta as its pretty much the hub of the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.