Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
If so, what keeps the elite, historical, or tourist block safe?
Money and affluence, in some form or another

The rich part of Northwest Washington DC was always very safe, even during the worst of the drug epidemic and murder capital years.

It is the people who don't have enough money to properly afford to live in a city who create the problems that make it unsafe for others and lead it to decay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

I heard that there actually once was (not sure if true anymore after gentrification) a very very dangerous ghetto block of Washington DC only a few blocks from the very safe and elegant white house. Also, I heard that the area one block from Yale is one of the most dangerous in the country.

Just wondering,

Does anyone know of:

1. Any other examples of very dangerous ghetto blocks right next to elite, safe, tourist, historical, or business areas?

2. If so, what keeps the elite, historical, or tourist block safe?

Thanks
Columbus, Ohio has a good amount of these areas.

Bexley is a affluent inner-suburb of Columbus that borders some rough areas of Columbus on East Main St.

Franklinton is directly west of downtown and on the banks of the Scioto River, it's probably the most impoverished neighborhood in the city but is experiencing pretty quick paced development.

Weinland Park is nestled in between the thriving Short North and The University District. It's kind of a hit or miss neighborhood with lots of development going on, not necessarily scary but pretty obvious low-income.

Easton Town Center is a very popular dining/shopping destination with many higher end stores and it is close to less than stellar areas of the city of Columbus.

I assume, like most cities, the violent crime here is drug related and/or perpetrated by people who know each other for the most part. Also I'm sure the police presence/response time in nicer neighborhoods is a factor.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Chicago's Notorious Cabrini-Green projects were right next to Old Town, Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast. Well not notorious, lots of affluent New York neighborhoods have housing projects in or next to them. The Upper West Side, East Village, Chelsea and all have housing projects. Williamsburg has projects. There are projects directly behind Lincoln Center.

I grew up poor at the border of UWS and Harlem. I was in the gifted program at my neighborhood zoned school, and the socioeconomic diversity in my classes was staggering. I had classmates whose parents were crackheads, building superintendents, cab drivers, lawyers, bankers and one entertainment executive.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:11 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Ghetto in Baltimore is right next to wealthy areas like Guilford or Roland Park?

Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 PM

406 posts, read 486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Ghetto in Baltimore is right next to wealthy areas like Guilford or Roland Park?
Not nessasrily - Roland Park & Guilford exist in the north central portion of Baltimore City. The area is largely affluent, surrounded primarily by increasingly gentrified communities (Hamden & Remington) and geographic boundaries (The Jones Falls Valley & I-83). Homeland is considered an affluent community that bumps up against neighborhoods some might describe as distressed. York Road south of Northern Parkway is yet another example of the sharp socio-economic divide present in Baltimore City.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Chicago's near west side is quite violent, and within blocks of the Loop business district as well as rapidly gentrifying areas. I always used the United Center (where the Bulls/Blackhawks play) as the boundary for the no-go zone.
Yeah, but the areas of the west side that get violent are around a 45 minute walk from the Loop and around an hour from the Mag Mile or Michigan Ave. You would have to really try to get from one to the other, you don't really wander back and forth, I mean it's a distance of a few miles, not a few blocks.

One area I would think of is the huge growth around the 606 elevated trail. You have hundreds and hundreds of million dollar houses and large upper class apartment buildings going up on all sides of that thing stretching for 3 miles through the northwest side of the city. Walk 10 minutes south of that to areas that aren't getting gutted with gentrification (yet) and you have some quite violent areas.

It'll probably change in the coming years as the gentrification keeps spreading out from the 606 trail and Logan Square/Wicker Park/Ukranian Village, but as of right now they're fairly close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.