Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:04 PM

104 posts, read 150,277 times

Advertisements

We all know that liberals tend to live in bigger urban areas. But what are some rural/country areas in the USA where there are liberal people? What if you are a liberal, a foreigner but you want to visit a farm?

Life in the Calvinistic protestant Dutch bible belt with conservative values has taught me that some rural places tend to be very friendly... as long as you're a local. But I felt relieved when I moved to a larger city in the more liberal Southern (Catholic) Netherlands.

Well, I definitely have much better understanding of English than Dutch, but I bet as a guy from Eastern Europe they might notice some discrepancies in my speech, etc. and make me feel excluded or make fun of me. I am apolitical, yet my views are mostly aligned with liberalism, especially after going abroad and becoming "the Other". I know from first hand what it means to be excluded, locals to give you angry looks and brush you off with offensive hand gestures as you have an accent.

I am going on a vacation to the USA and in addition to the Big Apple I'd also like to visit a typical American farm with barns, bales of hay, huge fields, etc. However, I realize that rural area residents are often intolerant to outsiders, not to mention foreigners. But I love nature and farmlands, the lush green or yellow fields, you name it. Village-like towns are welcome as well. My ideal thing would be something of a hippy rural community with less drugs lol. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,724,437 times
Rural New England?

Old 11-19-2016, 02:34 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Driftless region of the Upper Midwest, New England, and much of the predominately African American areas of the Rural south are more liberal. Your best bet would be New England though.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:36 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Driftless region of the Upper Midwest, New England, and much of the predominately African American areas of the Rural south are more liberal. Your best bet would be New England though.
The predominantly Black areas of the rural South are Democratic but are more moderate/conservative than liberal.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:39 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Vermont is the most obvious answer. Very liberal state, and very rural. Biggest "city" has maybe 40k people

Old 11-19-2016, 04:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
The heavily Hispanic areas of South Texas vote democratic most of the time but in general are more conservative areas. Hawaii probably has some rural democratic areas but you would be going more into tropical territory.
You could also check the rural areas around some college towns.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The predominantly Black areas of the rural South are Democratic but are more moderate/conservative than liberal.
That's true. I should have made the distinction between liberal and heavily democratic.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Rural areas outside of Ithaca, in select Finger Lakes communities, small college towns and artsy Hudson Valley communities in Upstate NY also fit. Out of these mentioned, I'd look into the Ithaca area and the Trumansburg/Ulysses area and Newfield in particular. Perhaps rural parts of the town of Ithaca as well as Enfield.

If you don't want to go that far Upstate, then places like New Paltz, Saugerties, Rhinebeck, Chatham, etc in the Hudson Valley region are worth a look.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryan View Post
My ideal thing would be something of a hippy rural community with less drugs lol. Any ideas?
Oh, you've GOT to go to Fairfield, Iowa and nearby Vedic City! Check it out: About Fairfield You can see typical American Midwestern farms, both traditional and non-traditional and also attend classes on Transcendental Meditation.

If you do that, then skip NYC and do Chicago instead.

But really, when you're traveling through most of the upper Midwest, no one's going to bother you about politics or religion, and no one's going to bug you about your cultural background. Don't worry about it.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:29 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
It's not a large or influential area, but the rural areas around Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas are fairly moderate, especially relative to the rest of the state. A lot of government employees who tend to be more moderate or liberal retire to the rural areas around those two cities. There are also a lot of hobby farms, who are typically owned by people who at least moderate. My state representative has been a Republican and a Democrat in recent years. The elected Republicans are almost all moderates around here. Go north, south, or west and it gets conservative quickly. Manhattan is a swing area as well. In a decade all three counties will be blue. Interestingly enough, in Kansas, the larger cities are all more conservative and more Republican then the mid sized cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.