Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times

Advertisements

No, that's called the BoWash Corridor, or the Northeast Megalopolis.

You're forgetting everything from Virginia to Florida

Why are some people saying that only the Northeast is the East coast? The Northeast is part of the East coast, but so is the Southeast.

East coast literally just means the eastern coast. The entire eastern seaboard of the continental US, like how the West coast is the western seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 08:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Nope. That's just what the Northeast Corridor is.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:02 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
The East Coast of the United States is everything from Maine to Florida.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
As a Seattle resident, I agree that "West Coast" is often referring to California only. Northwest cities are on inland waterways, so there's a little more reason.

And "East Coast" often refers to the Northeast, and often presumes big cities not the rest. The lack of coastal cities other than Miami and smaller places would have an effect.

That doesn't mean it's correct or "fair," but it's still how the terms are often used from what I see.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 PM

71 posts, read 61,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
"East Coast" / "West Coast" goes back to 90's Rap Wars ... It was Tupac, Dr Dre, Snoop originated West Coast Style (Cali Only) OR and WA were NOT considered "West Coast" .... Biggie, Jay Z, LL Cool J were "East Coast" (NY ONLY), Boston/Philly/Bmore/DC were NOT "East Coast" in the Rap Wars.

As time went on ... The terms became Mainstream "West Coast" to some still only refers to California, others will include the entire coast line. Las Vegas too is considered "West Coast" to some though its strongly debatable.

"East Coast" in Mainstream terms means 1 of 2 things. 1) Exclusively within the i-95 NEC Corridor between ME and NOVA. or 2) East Coast is synonymous with the "NORTHEAST" ... Which is how you will hear Midwestern, and West Coast people refer to Pittsburgh Buffalo as being "East Coast", but like Las Vegas and "West Coast" they're not East Coast. I don't consider the East Coast and Northeast to be of the same geographical area. I consider the East Coast as example "1" it is a SUBSET region of the Northeast. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are Northeastern Cities, but NOT East Coast.

I don't consider anything below VA Beach to be "East Coast", it then becomes the South. I know FL uses the terms East Coast / West Coast locally to describe its shore lines.
I am not sure what direction we are going with the media/record labeled coast war being mentioned...But I shall address it.....
WA and OR had not rappers so of course it was only California rappers.
East Coast was more than NY....Brick city...New Jersey was present...However the rappers from Jersey were rolling with Tupac and that is a fact.... most of Outlawz were from Jersey and the other half all from NYC including Tupac himself...Tupac was very East Coast from his vernacular to his Timbs....Had Tupac got robbed anywhere but NY, there would of never been the start to that beef...MTV & BET feed America's appetite for destruction.

Back to the Topic....East Coast is more than a few major cities...People use those cities as a reference to how far away or how close they are to those areas....

If you see several people wearing Timbs in that area, not near a construction site,Its an East Coast city...

Maybe people would not get so bent out of shape when Florida is referred to the east coast, if the term Atlantic coast was used.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
All those cities metro areas combined is about 38 million people.

Miami, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, VA Beach/Norfolk, Atlantic City, New Haven, Providence & Portland combined. is about 12 million people
Boswash is about 50-52 million people. It would include Atlantic City, New Haven, and Providence though, since these cities are in between the bigger Boswash cities. As you illustrated there are simply not enough people living south of Virginia along the Atlantic coast, thats why a lot of people associate East coast with just the Northeast.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:34 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,921 times
East coast is only cities within 2521 feet of coast, so the Balwash corridor is not east coast, only the Bosny corridor is east coast, and technically deep east coast. Plus there's the SaintPort & MiaVirgin corridors, 2 of my favorite corridors.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
I meant the east coast as in the ne coast because that's what people are referring to %90 of the time.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:56 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It's really just Boston, New York, philly, and DC/Baltimore right? Those are the cities people are referring to when talking about the east coast.
How? The east coast is all the states that border: the eastern Atlantic coast. Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Miami, and Virginia Beach are east coast cities just as much as New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia.

For one thing, the cities I named are literally on the Atlantic Coast. DC is over 120 miles away. Baltimore is not on the Atlantic either. Philadelphia is not even in a coastal state.

It doesn't get any more "east coast" than the I-95 corridor. Any state that borders the Atlantic Ocean (plus Pennsylvania, Vermont, and W Virginia imo) is true "east coast."

I'm not exactly sure why the southern half was left out.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:05 AM

74 posts, read 61,058 times
You people are way too literal.

60 million people just voted for Donald Trump, so I think it's safe to say that there are a good number of people who don't see it that way. Lot of dummies out there.

East Coast is ****ing East Coast. Maine to Miami.

Culturally speaking? Northeast. New York. Philadelphia, Boston and DC are close behind.

Last edited by MrTalk; 11-24-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.