Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:38 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
zagat.com's 26 Hottest Food Cities 2016
----------------------------------------------
3. Denver, CO
7. Asheville, NC
9. Charlotte, NC
11. Charleston, SC
12. Savannah, GA
13. Detroit, MI
14. Birmingham, AL
15. Indianapolis, IN
16. Nashville, TN
18. Austin, TX
19. Raleigh, NC
24. Dallas, TX
25. Providence, RI
LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:31 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
As a general notice of food lists, it seems like they are trying to get too many jaws to drop. Its like they are trying to shock but putting cities like Detroit (no offense to them) ahead of NYC. I think its one think if we have they advertise the list as cities that are hidden food gems or up and coming food cities, but instead they always brand it as a "best food cities" list.

Personally, I immediately disregard the lists if...

1) NYC isnt the top city on the list
2) Chicago, LA, and the Bay Area arent part of the top four.
3) There is no clear methodology.
4) If there is no breakdown between what makes a food city (regional cuisine, fine dining, innovation, and ethnic variety).

Lets face it, in regards to my fourth point, most cities have strong and weak points to their cuisine. Take New Orleans. Its probably got the single best regional cuisine in the US, but it falls flat on ethnic dining. Its not that its not there, but it definitely doesn't stand out. Thats fine, but mosts foodie lists dont take this into consideration. To me, a foodie hot spot needs to encompass ALL of those categories, not just perfect one or two.

Here in Houston, given all the categories, it should rank in the 5-8 spot for best all around food cities alongside cities like Philadelphia and Boston. But when you look at T&L or Zagat, you'd never know it. Texas isnt popular with people across the US. Its kind of assumed to be all the same.

Popularity polls with no methodology mean nothing.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL!!
Birmingham, Nashville, and Savannah are great Food Cities, you're sleeping.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL!!
I'm guessing you don't much about foodie hotspots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Birmingham, Nashville, and Savannah are great Food Cities, you're sleeping.
As is Charleston, which routinely makes lists like these and has for several years.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Charlotte over Chicago. That's all I needed to see to discredit this list entirely.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Charlotte over Chicago. That's all I needed to see to discredit this list entirely.
It's essentially a most improved list. Charlotte has a lot more room for improvement in this area than Chicago (a long-established city for food), so it makes perfect sense.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:29 AM

171 posts, read 188,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC has really come up in the food rankings. I can attest to that.

But I don't understand how New York can be so far below cities like Asheville, Charlotte and Detroit. That doesn't make any sense.

I think it's because New York is pretty saturated right now. You get what you expect in NYC. I haven't been to Asheville or Charlotte but in Detroit, there's new restaurants popping up every week and chefs from around the country are coming here in force.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:36 PM

530 posts, read 638,019 times
Yeah, lots of posters are ignoring what this list is about. It is a list of how the cities food scenes have changed in the past year. Showing what cities are making the biggest recent changes and improvements to their food scene.

It is not a list of best food scenes, getting upset that places like New York aren't ranked at the top is missing the point.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
As a general notice of food lists, it seems like they are trying to get too many jaws to drop. Its like they are trying to shock but putting cities like Detroit (no offense to them) ahead of NYC. I think its one think if we have they advertise the list as cities that are hidden food gems or up and coming food cities, but instead they always brand it as a "best food cities" list.

Personally, I immediately disregard the lists if...

1) NYC isnt the top city on the list
2) Chicago, LA, and the Bay Area arent part of the top four.
3) There is no clear methodology.
4) If there is no breakdown between what makes a food city (regional cuisine, fine dining, innovation, and ethnic variety).

Lets face it, in regards to my fourth point, most cities have strong and weak points to their cuisine. Take New Orleans. Its probably got the single best regional cuisine in the US, but it falls flat on ethnic dining. Its not that its not there, but it definitely doesn't stand out. Thats fine, but mosts foodie lists dont take this into consideration. To me, a foodie hot spot needs to encompass ALL of those categories, not just perfect one or two.

Here in Houston, given all the categories, it should rank in the 5-8 spot for best all around food cities alongside cities like Philadelphia and Boston. But when you look at T&L or Zagat, you'd never know it. Texas isnt popular with people across the US. Its kind of assumed to be all the same.

Popularity polls with no methodology mean nothing.
So... basically what you're saying is that you have your opinion and if something doesn't agree with your predetermined opinion, it's wrong. Hmm, well, I see you've learned to deal with cognitive dissonance, like a pro.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Yeah, lots of posters are ignoring what this list is about. It is a list of how the cities food scenes have changed in the past year. Showing what cities are making the biggest recent changes and improvements to their food scene.

It is not a list of best food scenes, getting upset that places like New York aren't ranked at the top is missing the point.
A lot of people are ignoring that the list is from zagat, which is almost as bad as yelp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.