Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best yuppie, hipster culture without the price and liberalism of San Francisco?
Nashville 8 13.79%
Louisville, KY 6 10.34%
Minneapolis 6 10.34%
St. Louis 4 6.90%
Denver 12 20.69%
Atlanta 11 18.97%
Dallas 14 24.14%
Charlotte 4 6.90%
Houston 15 25.86%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 12 20.69%
Chicago 6 10.34%
New York 3 5.17%
San Diego 7 12.07%
Pittsburgh 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Republicans in the DC area? Where are they hiding?
The Oval Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I'd eliminate Seattle (most athiest city in the country, and uber-liberal), NYC (just as expensive as San Francisco), and maybe Minneapolis (might still be too liberal for him).

Louisville seems like a good option. It has a very similar vibe to San Francisco, but is more conservative and less expensive.
Or Atlanta.
I think Minneapolis would work. Liberal, yes, but in a "different' way than some places, and very religious though tolerant of those who don't go to church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville and Salt Lake City.
I don't know about Nashville, but SLC is not what I would call hip. It has its hip areas, of course, and would probably work for the OP's friend.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,624 times
I thought Seattle was pretty liberal and definitely not so church-going. I've only been there once and couldn't really get a feel for it. But I know neighboring Portland really well and I KNOW he would go insane in Portland.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Just out of curiosity - is your friend looking at major cities only? I'd think that many college towns, especially those in relatively conservative areas, might fit the description well.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times
Did anyone recommend Fort Worth yet?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
This threads reeks of flame.

If your "friend" is looking at law school, should not s/he be looking at getting into certain schools? The schools one can get into or not largely dictates where one should be looking to go to school.

The cities on your list have a diverse range of law schools ranking from the very best to solid to barely accredited. This matters.

It would make more sense for your "friend" to give us an idea of what type of school s/he can get into, what type of law s/he wants to practice, and what region (generally).

Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
This threads reeks of flame.

If your "friend" is looking at law school, should not s/he be looking at getting into certain schools? The schools one can get into or not largely dictates where one should be looking to go to school.

The cities on your list have a diverse range of law schools ranking from the very best to solid to barely accredited. This matters.

It would make more sense for your "friend" to give us an idea of what type of school s/he can get into, what type of law s/he wants to practice, and what region (generally).
I don't know, dude. This is the list of cities he gave me. The schools he can get into are in these cities. He's got great LSATs so that gives him a lot more flexibility in choosing schools. And he wants to stay in the market in which he goes to school....thus why the cities matter so much to him. He doesn't want to be out in the sticks away from the majority of good law jobs. I don't know why it reeks of flame--whatever that means. lol. I'm just looking for the sort of advice I'm wasn't able to give him....

By the way....Seattle? Really?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
It's good that he's choosing a law school according to where he wants to work, but he should do that with due caution.

Like I hinted at earlier, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to attend a barely accredited law school in a city he wants to live in when he can get into a much finer school elsewhere. There is a good deal of leeway on whether to attend the "best" school hecan get into or whether he should attend the "best" school in the area he wants to work. This is not an easy decision, nor is there a real fine rubric by which to base his decision.

However I will repeat that there is a great discrepancy between the law schools in the cities he's selected, and he would be wise to choose the best school he can get into in the cities he wants to live in (and the emphasis should be on best school).

Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

246 posts, read 873,135 times
At first I was shocked that Connecticut wasn't mentioned, but then I reread the title. Sub chinos and cowboy boots with a Lacoste sweater and birkenstocks, then you have Connecticut!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Republicans in the DC area? Where are they hiding?
The Congressional bathrooms. A lot of foot-tapping and other kinds of tapping goes on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.