Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do these cities rank with factors considered?
Houston 0 0%
Atlanta 3 33.33%
Boston 3 33.33%
Chicago 3 33.33%
Phoenix 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:54 AM

27 posts, read 25,875 times

Advertisements

I created a thread about moving from Memphis. I got some great feedback. After talking with the wife about it, we have narrowed our options considerably. Here are some things that we are looking at. also the locations that we are considering are listed below.
Factors to Consider
1. Jobs
a. Growth –
i. How is the city currently doing?
ii. Performance historically
iii. All considering …Future proof for the most part?
b. Wages
i. Better than national average
ii. Increasing?
2. Cost of living / quality of life
a. Economic Growth
b. Crime – not too high or at least in certain avoidable areas
c. School districts
i. Desirable places for kids to go to school?
3. Things to do
a. Vibe of city
1. Conventions
2. Major sports (NBA and NFL)
3. Outdoor activities
4. Aesthetically pleasing
b. Arts
i. Theater
ii. Ballet / Opera / Symphony
c. Nightlife
i. We are not that big on nightlife but we would like options
1. Not including clubs
2. Shows
d. Outdoor events
i. Green city (parks etc)
e. Shopping
i. Nice malls / outlets
4. Proximity to large metro area
a. Maybe 3-4 hours away
5. Transportation / Traffic
a. Easily navigable
b. Hopefully not stuck in traffic too long
6. Food
a. Lot of different cultural choices
b. Fine dining
c. Vegan
7. Cold winters – somewhat important to have one

Top cities we are looking at:
1. Houston
2. Atlanta
3. Boston
4. Chicago
5. Phoenix

If you have any other suggestions or things I should consider, please do not hesitate to offer them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 02:11 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I wouldn't expect Houston or Phoenix to have cold winters. Well, I suppose cold is subjective, but Houston, especially (as I have actually been there), will likely not be cold to people from Memphis. Depending on how you define it, Atlanta may not have cold winters; however, if it isn't too hot, you should also consider Dallas-Fort Worth. Although there is probably a reason y'all took it out of consideration by now.

According to some of the people on CD, Chicago is doing great and is on the upswing, but I would still look more into its data regarding growth before deciding on the place, since growth seems important to you.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I wouldn't expect Houston or Phoenix to have cold winters. Well, I suppose cold is subjective, but Houston, especially (as I have actually been there), will likely not be cold to people from Memphis. Depending on how you define it, Atlanta may not have cold winters; however, if it isn't too hot, you should also consider Dallas-Fort Worth. Although there is probably a reason y'all took it out of consideration by now.

According to some of the people on CD, Chicago is doing great and is on the upswing, but I would still look more into its data regarding growth before deciding on the place, since growth seems important to you.
Yes, initially the list had Boston and Chicago at the top, but we moved them down because of the cold winters. It is something that is more important to her, so that is why we included Boston and Chicago on the list. We have considered DFW, but something about it just didn't click. Loved the norther suburbs though, Plano, Frisco, etc....Realistically, that might be the best bet. It was the only place I consistently got call backs from.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:39 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm iii View Post
Yes, initially the list had Boston and Chicago at the top, but we moved them down because of the cold winters. It is something that is more important to her, so that is why we included Boston and Chicago on the list. We have considered DFW, but something about it just didn't click. Loved the norther suburbs though, Plano, Frisco, etc....Realistically, that might be the best bet. It was the only place I consistently got call backs from.
Well, if it doesn't click, it doesn't click, what matters is that y'all end up somewhere that y'all like (of course, with job(s) of course). Have y'all experienced winter in any of those cities, by the way?

If Atlanta does it for you, it may be the best fit for you and your wife, considering Boston and Chicago do have very cold winters that some just cannot, or prefer to not, handle. I personally cannot speak of school quality in Atlanta, but I do believe any large metro in the US offers quality public schools somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, Atlanta has a pretty small foreign-born population (~14% compared to >17% for the other metros on your list), which may or may not factor into having a wide range of "different cultural choices," not to say the city is homogeneous.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:15 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
If Atlanta does it for you, it may be the best fit for you and your wife, considering Boston and Chicago do have very cold winters that some just cannot, or prefer to not, handle. I personally cannot speak of school quality in Atlanta, but I do believe any large metro in the US offers quality public schools somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, Atlanta has a pretty small foreign-born population (~14% compared to >17% for the other metros on your list), which may or may not factor into having a wide range of "different cultural choices," not to say the city is homogeneous.
I agree largely as the Atlanta metro's economy is booming and salaries versus cost of living is probably the most favorable of the group other than Houston. Atlanta proper has a fairly homogeneous population however the northern suburbs which are the most desirable overall for most due to schools (as well as job growth) are quite diverse. Check out Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Dunwoody and Sandy Springs.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:37 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
I think Minneapolis should be worth looking at. It checks most of that list pretty well.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
This is how I feel:

1. Jobs

All 5 perform strong but Boston and Atlanta stand out.

The highest QOL to COL ratio to me is Chicago. But I like everything a city of that tier has to offer. Atlanta/Houston/Phoenix all give great bang for the buck so that's another way to look at it.

3. Things to do

Hard to say that Chicago doesn't have the most things to do, unless the argument is that the winter climate reduces many outdoor activities to a small portion of the year. However, all of your cities have plenty to do. They all have NFL/NBA, they all are pretty strong on nightlife, entertainment, and shopping. Arts and culture too, although I would have to say Chicago stands out in this area.

Hmmm, this is hard to judge...let's break it down.

Phoenix - Vegas, LA. Houston - Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans. Atlanta - Nashville, Charlotte. Boston - NYC, Montreal.

Looks like Houston has the quantity, but imo Boston and Phoenix have the quality, particularly for vacations.

Phoenix strikes me as possibly being the least annoying, but it's also the only one of the 5 that I have not driven around.

6. Food

These are all huge metros and should have plenty of options across the board. I'd pick Chicago due to its acclaim, but for me personally Boston/Houston are probably best (seafood and Asian food, respectively)

LOL that's funny. Well Boston and Chicago are neck-in-neck for pretty awful winters, so if that's what you want...

Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This is how I feel:

1. Jobs

All 5 perform strong but Boston and Atlanta stand out.

The highest QOL to COL ratio to me is Chicago. But I like everything a city of that tier has to offer. Atlanta/Houston/Phoenix all give great bang for the buck so that's another way to look at it.

3. Things to do

Hard to say that Chicago doesn't have the most things to do, unless the argument is that the winter climate reduces many outdoor activities to a small portion of the year. However, all of your cities have plenty to do. They all have NFL/NBA, they all are pretty strong on nightlife, entertainment, and shopping. Arts and culture too, although I would have to say Chicago stands out in this area.

Hmmm, this is hard to judge...let's break it down.

Phoenix - Vegas, LA. Houston - Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans. Atlanta - Nashville, Charlotte. Boston - NYC, Montreal.

Looks like Houston has the quantity, but imo Boston and Phoenix have the quality, particularly for vacations.

Phoenix strikes me as possibly being the least annoying, but it's also the only one of the 5 that I have not driven around.

6. Food

These are all huge metros and should have plenty of options across the board. I'd pick Chicago due to its acclaim, but for me personally Boston/Houston are probably best (seafood and Asian food, respectively)

LOL that's funny. Well Boston and Chicago are neck-in-neck for pretty awful winters, so if that's what you want...
great info provided here. Boston has been growing on me. Houston is where we want to live, but we get no call backs.

what exactly do you like what Chicago has to offer?

Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
I think Minneapolis should be worth looking at. It checks most of that list pretty well.
have you ever been? what do you think of it?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I suggested MSP in your other thread. I think it's a very cool city. Lots of hip neighborhoods, great culture overall, very good public transit and bike ability, great economy. My primary negatives are the cold winter, the moderate isolation, and also somewhat lack of diversity though it's not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.