Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston v. Seattle
Boston 32 48.48%
Seattle 34 51.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Give me that old East Coast architecture of Boston in place of the MTV crowd of Seattle any day.

By Urban Ohio
Its places like that that make Boston so special. You wont find that kind of charm/architecture on the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
weather - Boston (far more sunshine and 4 seasons)
and muchhhhhhhhhh colder and windier. If you prefer more sun cold and windy yes - Boston has better weather. If you prefer warm and mainly calm winters, but less sunshine - Seattle

Last edited by Botev1912; 02-29-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
and muchhhhhhhhhh colder and windier. If you prefer cold and windy yes - Boston has better weather
It's the variety that makes the weather better. You appreciate spring and summer soooo much more after winter. And fall- well, Boston owns that

Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
and muchhhhhhhhhh colder and windier. If you prefer more sun cold and windy yes - Boston has better weather. If you prefer warm and mainly calm winters, but less sunshine - Seattle
Its not "muchhhhhhhhhh colder" in Boston, normally about 10 degrees cooler. And Seattle's winters are not quite "warm" either, theyre mild to cool. Miami has warm winters. And as you have pointed out, Boston is far sunnier than Seattle.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not "muchhhhhhhhhh colder" in Boston, normally about 10 degrees cooler. And Seattle's winters are not quite "warm" either, theyre mild to cool. Miami has warm winters. And as you have pointed out, Boston is far sunnier than Seattle.
Look at the average snowfall though, Boston gets quadruple the amount that Seattle gets. So its all a matter of preference. In western Washington it rarely dips below freezing, with highs usually in the mid to upper 40's, and not all that uncommon to be in the 50's. During that there are alot of overcast days with days of light, constant precipitation mixed in. Contrast that with Boston where it is routinely in the 20's with lots of snowfall and cold wind. I prefer the milder temps, although I do enjoy the one or two snow storms we get a year, which usually melts the next day.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM

13 posts, read 13,110 times
Boston! Seattle, while it is gorgeous, just does not have the same charm architecturally, culturally and historically. The weather in both places sucks, IMO.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Look at the average snowfall though, Boston gets quadruple the amount that Seattle gets. So its all a matter of preference. In western Washington it rarely dips below freezing, with highs usually in the mid to upper 40's, and not all that uncommon to be in the 50's. During that there are alot of overcast days with days of light, constant precipitation mixed in. Contrast that with Boston where it is routinely in the 20's with lots of snowfall and cold wind. I prefer the milder temps, although I do enjoy the one or two snow storms we get a year, which usually melts the next day.
True that Boston gets more snowfall, but overall the temps between Boston and Seattle are not that far off. I compared the two cities' average temps in the winter months and Boston was hovering around 8-10 degrees colder in winter. Boston isnt International Falls, MN like some people tend to think.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Without hesitation: BOSTON.

Seattle has some spectacular natural beauty, but Boston is just a really, really cool city. And I don't mean trendy cool like the way Seattle was in the 90s. I mean Boston has been a cool city for a couple hundred years and will always stay that way.

It oozes history, it's got beautiful architecture (both old and new), Bostonians are quirky and passionate about their city, Boston has one of the best symphonies on the planet, some of the country's most presitigious universities are right there, and my gosh it's just a beautiful place. Parks everywhere, fantastic mixture of new and old, great public transport, plus Boston is just a hop skip and a jump from other cool places like Montreal, Maine, NYC. I mean seriously, you can go spend a day in NYC if you want and never even use your car.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:26 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,698 times
Seattle is also very close to a lot of cool places such as Vancouver, Portland, Oregon coast, beautiful scenery, etc.

This is a very difficult decision, they are both great in different ways.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Seattle is also very close to a lot of cool places such as Vancouver, Portland, Oregon coast, beautiful scenery, etc.

This is a very difficult decision, they are both great in different ways.
True, but comparing what Boston is near to what Seattle is near is a joke. There are far more cities on the east coast, and Boston is nearby many of them. If you want mountains, etc, those are also a short drive away from Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.