Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times

Advertisements

Wisconsin rocks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Neither is NY, BTW
I felt there was no question about NY. Pittsburgh had been brought up as a midwestern city earlier in the thread.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
My personal opinion is that if Iowa is to be classified as a Great Lakes state, Missouri may be as well. The Midwest includes all of the great lakes states except for New York and Pennsylvania but also includes Missouri and Iowa.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I felt there was no question about NY. Pittsburgh had been brought up as a midwestern city earlier in the thread.

I knew you knew that, I just wanted some of the others here who seem to confuse regions to get this straight!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 AM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
[SIZE=2]I moved to the SE Michigan region a couple of years ago for job reasons. I absolutely hated it at first. So flat, so cold, so boring. It also did not help the preconceived stereotype that this area has. But after a period of time living here I came to appreciate what this area has to offer.

Natural beauty - The upper peninsula is absolutely beautiful. I also looove the water. Its everywhere!!!! I used to live in Oakland County and the amount of lakes there is ridiculous. Any family or individuals with decent jobs can afford to live in waterfront, canal front or lakefront properties. Where else other than the Midwest can an average Joe own a waterfront property in a beautiful and safe neighborhood with decent schools. We are now only 20 min from lake St. Claire and in the summer is a lot of fun.

You get more for the money - We are a dual income family that do not have to overextend ourselves to be able to live in a large house in a safe neighborhood with a great school system. We are actually living below our means. Property taxes are high, but pretty much all the northern states have high property taxes.

Weather (its not that bad) - The winter can be harsh for some people but certainly not to my kids. With so much snow this winter has been a blast for them. Just because is cold it does not means you have to be indoors all winter. There are things called snow suits and winter coats that you can buy at any store and you will be fine. It is pretty cold from Nov to March, however, spring, summer and fall are AMAZING!!

People - I was surprised at how driven the people is here. In the country I'm originally from the people have a 'go with the flow' attitude, which I always hated because I'm not like that. Here people are fighters, probably due to the harsh weather and the difficult economy.

There are certainly places with better weather and economy than the great lakes states. This place is not for everybody but for the people that choose to live here it offers a great place to raise a family and to live a very comfortable life. (as long as you have a job)
[/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks to all that posted there opinions!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Dont forget about the Kelly Islands in Ohio!!!

Kelleys Island, Ohio - An Island For All Seasons - Highlights and History (http://www.kelleysisland.com/information/highlights_and_history.html - broken link)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Dont forget about the Kelly Islands in Ohio!!!

Kelleys Island, Ohio - An Island For All Seasons - Highlights and History (http://www.kelleysisland.com/information/highlights_and_history.html - broken link)

I checked that sight out, very beautful area!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
My personal opinion is that if Iowa is to be classified as a Great Lakes state, Missouri may be as well. The Midwest includes all of the great lakes states except for New York and Pennsylvania but also includes Missouri and Iowa.
Neither Iowa nor Missouri have any connection to the Great Lakes. They are "midwest", but not Great Lakes. Hey ajf131, you should be happy I'm saying MO is midwest!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
i LOVE the midwest, love the vegetation there, which is mostly pine if you head up to northern WI, and the climate: cold, snowy winters is what i LOVE about the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.