Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Detroit and the Grosse Pointes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Springboro OH (good area)/Franklin OH (bad area)

Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore is notorious for having wealthy areas next to poor areas.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
c

I have stayed in San Ysidro before because of the much lower motel rates, they go as low as $45 a night in the area.

San Ysidro where the large outlet mall surprised me because it has alot of apartment buildings in the area.

There are some decent parts of San Ysidro, but some of it quite run-down. Overall, it is not a rough neighborhood but isn't a polished neighborhood that's for sure.

It sort of felt like South Albuqerque, where I didn't feel unsafe and it wasn't dirty but was outdated and a tad bit sketchy and had a really southwestern look to it.

It is so odd staying in San Ysidro which is in a bowl and just a mile or two up the hill on in Tijuana is some of the most violent neighborhoods in North America.

I mean I didn't feel unsafe in San Ysidro at all, but it was just hard to believe that a couple of hundred yards away were some the roughest neighborhoods on the planet and yet it was relatively calm on the San Diego side.
I would not call neighborhoods in TJ the some of the "roughest" on the planet. The city is ranked 15th in Mexico for its murder rate and is lower than the cities of St Louis and Baltimore despite a recent uptick.

Tijuana killings rise in a city haunted by violence of years past - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM

26 posts, read 35,454 times
East Garfield Park and the Near West Side in Chicago.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit and the Grosse Pointes.
Yep, I immediately think of Alter Road whenever this question comes up.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Long Island and Queens are not separated by a bridge, Queens is actually on the landmass of Long Island, but not the area of Long Island colloquially referred to as Long Island, if that makes sense.

I'm curious as to what neighborhood you're talking about anyway, I can't think of any border areas of Queens that are particularly bad. The one exception might be Far Rockaway, which is not too far from some affluent Long Island towns.
Far Rockaway is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm from Atlantic Beach, which is on a barrier island to the south of Long Island proper. To exit the village, you have to cross the Atlantic Beach Bridge, and at the north end of the bridge, you can either continue straight into Lawrence (also an affluent Nassau County town) or bear left into Far Rockaway. Bearing left was what I literally never did for 25 years until a few months ago.

Before we lived in Atlantic Beach, we lived in North Woodmere, which also borders Queens (specifically Rosedale) via a little bridge over Hook Creek. Rosedale is much less desirable than North Woodmere, certainly with a higher crime rate, but I didn't mention it because I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a "bad area."

Last edited by boulevardofdef; 02-17-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 40,881 times
Newark NJ/ South Orange NJ border. Newark is anything but deprived of crime, drugs, and unmaintained homes. But once you cross the South Orange border, you see well-maintained, old mansions.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:15 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Downtown Los Angeles and Skid Row/South Centra

Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
Many Latin American cities such as Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires have slums/shantytowns that are located right next to very wealthy neighborhoods like Pavao-Pavaozinho/Copacabana or Villa 31/Recoleta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.