Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Maine my whole life. So did my parents, grands and great grands so I am a real Mainer!
My problem is that I have horrible arthritis and now that I'm approaching retirement age I need to look for a place to live with better year round weather. The problem is, WHERE?
Things I love and want, if possible.
The charm of a New England town with history and great architecture.
A great downtown
4 seasons if possible
No big swings in weather change but a little would be ok. Even "a little" snow is ok.
Very little humidity! Florida, Georgia etc afe completely out bc of this. I can't take the heat any more than I can take the cold. Well, the humid heat that is.
Affordability
Low crime
Access to cities or on the outskirts of a city

I'm open and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks for taking the time to read my very long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Hummelstown PA may fit.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,585 times
Default Thanks

Seems a bit pricey. 😕

Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,936,385 times
I always have said If you are lucky enough to live in Maine you are lucky enough.

Living away sucks and when I retire I am going back to Eastport, just thought I would give you a fair warning, people are not as nice and drivers are not as considerate..

Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 AM

201 posts, read 194,994 times
Seasmart,
In all honesty- do deep water exercise at the Y or the city with an instructor, go in a hot tub for your arthritis, mall walk/ gym walk on the mill for your arthritis. It's not worth it to me to leave Maine- it's a personality thing. The people of Maine, and New England in my opinion get along better with Midwesterners followed by west coast and lastly southerners. I moved south and there's a lot good but a lot that just isn't working and isn't going to. Healthcare is a serious problem.

You will not find a New England town outside of New England. There is a certain charm to certain areas a person can tour such as Columbia, SC. VA has less snow, but you are dealing with heat and humidity but they don't plow so you're really safer driving in New England. NC is ok along with SC, I think you get more for your money in SC, You nixed GA and FL. I wouldn't recommend FL anyway.

Outside of personality the Carolina's might be an ok fit. There are a ton of people in Maine (and northern states in general) every year that get fed up with cold and come south, most all of them go back unless they are trapped by work. I'm thinking if you like the desert maybe some folks from AZ might have advice. It can help if you post your question to states you are toying with so you can get direct input from locals. I'd also ask around in Maine- about 1 of every 10 people has moved to the south (usually NC or FL) and can tell you their viewpoint.

I'd snowbird if I were you, otherwise you'll just be trading winter for summer.

Your health will be better in New England, just because healthcare is horrible in the south.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasmart View Post
I've lived in Maine my whole life. So did my parents, grands and great grands so I am a real Mainer!
My problem is that I have horrible arthritis and now that I'm approaching retirement age I need to look for a place to live with better year round weather. The problem is, WHERE?
A great downtown
4 seasons if possible
No big swings in weather change but a little would be ok. Even "a little" snow is ok.
Very little humidity! Florida, Georgia etc afe completely out bc of this. I can't take the heat any more than I can take the cold. Well, the humid heat that is.
Affordability
Low crime

Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Seems a bit pricey. 😕
Perhaps Gettysburg PA would be a better fit for you.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
A great downtown
4 seasons if possible
Affordability
Low crime

Western North Carolina. Beautiful weather, mountains, lakes, charming towns. (and the healthcare in the south is excellent) Especially around Asheville areas. Some of the best healthcare in the country is in NC.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Western NC is my recommendation also. There are a bunch of towns with super cute historic downtowns, gorgeous views, good weather.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
A great downtown
4 seasons if possible
Affordability
Low crime

I agree with the last couple of posts, you're going to need something further south in the Mid-Atlantic region. Specifically towns like Brevard NC, Jonesborough TN, Lewisburg WV, Lexington VA and Staunton VA would be good options in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with the last couple of posts, you're going to need something further south in the Mid-Atlantic region. Specifically towns like Brevard NC, Jonesborough TN, Lewisburg WV, Lexington VA and Staunton VA would be good options in my opinion.
Y'all just completely left out Abingdon VA, harumphhh, mutter, grumble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.