Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

I'd say it's because their population centers are located in the hot areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:24 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Just got to Denver. It is hot here, nearly Texas hot and will be for three weeks. What a disappointment.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 PM

126 posts, read 104,998 times
Over 2/3 of Nevada's population lives in or near Las Vegas. Over 2/3 of Arizona's population is in or near Phoenix.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Maybe because 80% of those states' populations live in very hot climates?

95% of Florida isn't beach. 65% of Colorado isn't mountainous. We could keep going...
Most of Montana and Wyoming, most of North Dakota and Nebraska are green crop lands and the Black Hills are only a tiny portion of South Dakota. The postcard picture the tourists have or the negative stereotypes do not fit the entire states.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:40 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My guess for Arizona is the fact that probably 85% of the population of the state lives in the hot part. Therefore that's the part that people associate with Arizona.
This.

Google Nevada on Images. Guarantee one of the first things you'll see is the Las Vegas sign. Where is that again... in a desert maybe? What else might come up? Hoover Dam? Hmmm.... Area 51? Also a desert.

Google Arizona on Images. Grand Canyon will pop up. That's in a desert. Saguaros will probably pop up. Also a desert. Phoenix skyline will probably show up also. Where is that again?

No one thinks of AZ or NV and thinks of Mount Charleston or Flagstaff. At best you might get Sedona or Reno, but that's a rare few.

All deserts are hot, point blank period. Only place I've seen that still has a desert landscape and actually gets cold and is moderate in the summer (I mean truly moderate, lower than 90s in the summer) is Santa Fe. All deserts are hot, if you've ever been to Salt Lake City region you'd know. Even the Gobi desert in Mongolia gets hot. There isn't a Mars equivalent on Earth.

Do Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah all have best secrets of cool places? Yes! Let's keep them our best kept secrets.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM

31 posts, read 38,531 times
Thank you for this thread! 2 states I'm considering moving to and the reputation of constant heat has been turning me off! AZ is great for disabled people which is why I'm considering it but I also want a city life that's cheaper than NY (where I am now) and LA.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
why does Arizona prominently feature a cactus on their license plate then?
Because its the majestic Saguaro cactus, and it only grows here and in small parts of Mexico, that's why.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Just got to Denver. It is hot here, nearly Texas hot and will be for three weeks. What a disappointment.
Pfft. Us Phoenicians go to Denver to cool off.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's even cacti in Illinois on beaches of Lake Michigan!
There are cacti all over IL, not just by the beaches. I made that awesome discovery while hiking all over the state when I lived there.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
True if you are a sedentary person. I find that most people who think it is impossible to go outdoors in winter are just lazy or unathletic. But most northern countries are well known for lots of intensive outdoor sports in winter.

When my mother was young, she and her family would ski (cross country) every day after school/work. Not just because they liked it, but because it actually keeps you warm, and by not heating the house while they were out, their firewood supply lasted longer.:-)

And of course it is difficult to be cold while cross country skiing which is why skiers dress in what amounts to a lycra bodysuit, even down to single digits.

Also there is the old saying, 'firewood heats you twice: first when you chop it, then when you burn it.' :-)
Quote:
Only for a handful of days. But anything 15+ is fine for skiing, ice skating, hockey, sledding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling etc. etc.
The point is that more people are just out in general during hot summers than they are in frigid winters; you have much more ease and presence of general outdoor activity (i.e. festivals, picnics, eating out at restaurants etc) beyond just tailored outdoor sport.

And typically, the deepest of winter cold comes with the very dry air-masses, so any sport that involves snow is rendered un-doable.

Quote:
Try doing strenuous stuff outside in 105+. Unless it involves water, which Texas doesn't have an abundance off, then fuggedaboutit!
Except, you know, the Gulf Coast. Not to mention the lake reservoirs and rivers that are present even in the inland areas (Lake Travis, White Rock Lake, Colorado River, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.