Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
What about cities like Wichita , Lincoln , and Omaha ? These places ( unless I'm mistaken ) have always been considered a bit podunk when compared to their coastal counterparts , so I think it's reasonable to assume that they aren't major centers of gentrification .
Kind of rude. Considered "podunk" by those who don't know better, perhaps? I've been to these cities...Lincoln is major university city and the state capital, Omaha is a city of half a million people, and Wichita....don't know it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
What's the deal with Great Lakes cities like Buffalo and Detroit ? I think I've read that the Downtown area of Detroit is going through a renaissance , but the city as a whole doesn't seem to be thriving . Buffalo seems to be the same way from afar at any rate .
For Detroit, it is limited to a few neighborhoods. However, the inner ring suburbs, which for decades were considered as undesirable as Detroit, have become very in-demand and people have been priced out of almost all of them.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

As to the Sunbelt I do think that Las Vegas has gentrified its historic downtown area by Fremont Street even as the Strip has grown and developed.
The joke in Las Vegas is they made downtown a nicer place for the homeless.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM

100 posts, read 103,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Kind of rude. Considered "podunk" by those who don't know better, perhaps? I've been to these cities...Lincoln is major university city and the state capital, Omaha is a city of half a million people, and Wichita....don't know it well.
I'm not saying those cities are podunk , I was just referring to their reputation . I mean they are in the middle of so called flyover country , so I don't think it's rude to state that they are considered to be podunk by many .

Old 07-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Omaha actually had a really influential indie rock scene in the early 2000s. I think it's mostly gone now, but there's definitely still "hip" neighborhoods there.
Do those hip neighborhoods cover a significant amount of the city ? Or are they just little pockets tucked away here and there ?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying those cities are podunk , I was just referring to their reputation . I mean they are in the middle of so called flyover country , so I don't think it's rude to state that they are considered to be podunk by many .
Lovely explanation...that makes it all better. In explaining rude, you became more rude. It's not my place to raise the consciousness of those on this forum, who have no problem dismissing one third of the country, and the millions of people who live there. Elitism is ugly.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Lovely explanation...that makes it all better. In explaining rude, you became more rude. It's not my place to raise the consciousness of those on this forum, who have no problem dismissing one third of the country, and the millions of people who live there. Elitism is ugly.

Come on dude ( or dudette if you happen to be female ) there's no reason to get offended over the use of words like podunk and flyover .

Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Do those hip neighborhoods cover a significant amount of the city ? Or are they just little pockets tucked away here and there ?
They clearly have some neighborhoods. Look around this business district. I see two breweries, a bycicle repair shop, a coffee house, several vintage shops, art galleries, tattoo places, a natural food store, ramen bar, independent theatre, and many bars. Here's a local guide to the neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
You're taking this personally when you really shouldn't. I'm from the rural South which would be considered podunk by a lot of people as well and that's just the reality; it doesn't offend me if someone points that out.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're taking this personally when you really shouldn't. I'm from the rural South which would be considered podunk by a lot of people as well and that's just the reality; it doesn't offend me if someone points that out.
Not taking it personally. I just find it a little ridiculous, that one can dismiss an entire population of people, because they feel superior because of where they live. Actually, I find it a lot ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.