Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,966 times

Advertisements

Hi. This year I'm finally escaping hell (Russia) after winning green card lottery. Since salaries here are extremely low ($300-400/mo) I don't have much savings - just $9k after all relocating expenses.

Few words about me: 26, single, good enough English, IT background - 5y in mobile QA, 3y in pre-press, but no CS degree so IT job is unlikely and I'm ok with general labor work at factory, warehouse, dishwashing etc.

So I'm looking for city with:

* Good unemployment rate.
* Low rent.
* Can survive on minimum wage.
* No need for car (either advanced public transit or possibility to ride bike all year long).
* Mild or warm climate (I'm sick of cold winters after so many years).
* Low crime, not a ghetto.
* Not hostile towards immigrants.

Would greatly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out Greensboro NC

It has one of the lowest rent averages of all major US cities (one bedrooms around $500-$600 a month), a good unemployment rate (4%), good public transportation in/around the city, a mild four season climate with little snow/ice, fairly low crime in the vast majority of the city and a diverse welcoming population thanks to a major university and several other colleges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greens...North_Carolina
https://downtowngreensboro.org/explo...wn-greensboro/
City of Greensboro, NC : Daily Routes
https://www.apartments.com/greensbor...v0myj1HxnonrsB

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Southern states with medium sized cities are a good idea; Tennessee, Kentucky, South and North Carolina. Maybe Jacksonville, Florida. I think a low cost college- such as a community or public vocational college- would be good for you to look for as well so you could get your CS degree. You don't want to be stuck washing dishes forever.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,966 times
What can you say about Austin? There are a lot of tech companies and I guess it's possible to get QA \ tech support position without CS degree. Also cost of living seems pretty low and city itself is lovely and growing.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phnmnn View Post
What can you say about Austin? There are a lot of tech companies and I guess it's possible to get QA \ tech support position without CS degree. Also cost of living seems pretty low and city itself is lovely and growing.
Cost of living is not that low in Austin. However yes it is cheap compared to the the giant coastal cities (San Francisco, LA, New York). I also imagine there is a ton of competition for tech jobs there since you're competing not only against University of Texas-Austin students but college grads from all over the country.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Hi. This year I'm finally escaping hell (Russia) after winning green card lottery. Since salaries here are extremely low ($300-400/mo) I don't have much savings - just $9k after all relocating expenses.

Few words about me: 26, single, good enough English, IT background - 5y in mobile QA, 3y in pre-press, but no CS degree so IT job is unlikely and I'm ok with general labor work at factory, warehouse, dishwashing etc.

So I'm looking for city with:

* Good unemployment rate.
* Low rent.
* Can survive on minimum wage.
* No need for car (either advanced public transit or possibility to ride bike all year long).
* Mild or warm climate (I'm sick of cold winters after so many years).
* Low crime, not a ghetto.
* Not hostile towards immigrants.

Would greatly appreciate your help.
Congrats! Yeah you'll want a city in the south somewhere for low COL and warm weather.
Since someone mentioned Jax here's what I'll say about that:
The economy is strong and unemployment is pretty low. Rents are low as well, though I'm not sure you could survive on minimum wage (I guess you could survive but it wouldnt be much more than that).
You almost certainly would need a car unless you hit the lottery again (finding a job in a walkable area and can find a cheap vacant rental in said neighborhood)
Jax as a whole isnt low crime but most of the city is perfectly safe.
However I would definitely consider it on the lower side in terms of tolerance and welcoming of immigrants. It's not all terrible but you'll certainly be presented with more challenges than most other large metros.

Good luck!!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:51 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Austin aint cheap.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Cleveland has cold winters, but low unemployment, cheap rent, and lot of opportunities to buy cheap real estate. It also has a fairly large Russian community, if that's important to you at all.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:52 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I also imagine there is a ton of competition for tech jobs there since you're competing not only against University of Texas-Austin students but college grads from all over the country.
But that's the American way! "Hey everybody, let's all pile into _______(insert Austin, Seattle, Portland, Denver) and drive up housing costs and job competition". Meanwhile oodles of other mid-sized cities lacking the panache go unnoticed and maintain affordable living costs along with decent job opportunity. In retrospect I suppose oh never mind, let the lemmings continue on their own paths while those with some forethought and individuality succeed on their own terms.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland has cold winters, but low unemployment, cheap rent, and lot of opportunities to buy cheap real estate. It also has a fairly large Russian community, if that's important to you at all.
OP is looking for warm weather though.

I'd look into Atlanta. There is a tech industry here and COL is not too bad yet. The city is getting more expensive but there are still many deals to be had, especially if renting and sharing with roommates. I have some friends who pay less than $500 a month in rent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.