Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This post should be deleted. Horrible.
Agree, if something like this was said about Black Girls, there would've been a lot more issues. As if a White girl can't love Boston without being racist. It's amazing how the Mods let these things go while shutting down entire threads because of silly arguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is there a reason it needs one?
Why would you think someone is arguing this simply because they are pointing out how Boston is a bit different among other major Northern cities in this regard? The OP is simply being observant of an anomaly.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
1 in 4 Bostonians are black. That isn't significant to you?

A lot less significant than the 50% black population of Philadelphia. It was immediately apparent to me when visiting. Wasn't a negative to me at all. If blacks are unhappy about that, then stay away from Boston.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
A lot less significant than the 50% black population of Philadelphia. It was immediately apparent to me when visiting. Wasn't a negative to me at all. If blacks are unhappy about that, then stay away from Boston.
Actually, Philadelphia is more like 40-45% Black. According to American FactFinder(2015 info), it is 42.8%(44.5% inc. in combo). Philadelphia is on par with cities like Rochester NY and Greensboro NC in terms of Black percentage.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBorn View Post
It's not a science, but generally speaking, there is a survey floating around about the most favored metros in the US and they are white majorities (Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc.) and the most unfavored are not (Detroit, Cleveland, etc.)

America sees it's society through a white lens. Absolutely no doubt in my mind certain cities benefit from that.

Why not be honest. Cities with high black populations like my own have lots of crime and a high population of black urban poor. Know what it is like to live around them? Come to Philly and I will give you a tour. I'm tired of everyone pussyfooting around this issue. And I'm a progressive.

It gets tiring dealing with kids throwing rocks at you, and people on the bus screaming at you cause you accidentally dis-respected them. People throwing trash on your street as they walk by your house, etc. Just a completely different culture and everyone knows it. It has come to the point where many of us just can't stand living around them anymore.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:28 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Why not be honest. Cities with high black populations like my own have lots of crime and a high population of black urban poor. Know what it is like to live around them? Come to Philly and I will give you a tour. I'm tired of everyone pussyfooting around this issue. And I'm a progressive.

It gets tiring dealing with kids throwing rocks at you, and people on the bus screaming at you cause you accidentally dis-respected them. People throwing trash on your street as they walk by your house, etc. Just a completely different culture and everyone knows it. It has come to the point where many of us just can't stand living around them anymore.
It's not just black people though. You can find sh$tty people of any color, be urban or rural too. I truly believe lower class culture in America has gone down the pooper. Maybe it was always that way and now theirs just more people and everyone has a camera to record everything. Inequality has probably played a factor in it too. Though lack of humility and self responsibility are large factors in my opinion.

OP is baiting idiot who gets banned every other day. I don't really get why his comments or this thread is still here.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 3,807 times
Quote:

I'm also a progressive and I'm tired of being called a racist or what not because I don't want to the go to the "hood" or live in a predominantly Black neighborhoods. If a White person doesn't want to live on the Southside, are they racist or avoiding a crime ridden area? Except for some exceptions alot of Black neighborhoods are our most dangerous and because they tend to be of lower economic class, their behaviors and cultures match it. Crappy behavior can be found within all races but it clearly heavier in the Black community.

Look at Chicago as an example, why are all the murders happening on the South Side? Whats the common denominator here. Are we saying that every single White person in this vast country is a racist therefore all Black people are prejudiced against? What about all the Asian/South Asian immigrants that come here without even speaking a lick of English and somehow as a group are prospering and you rarely hear about them committing crimes but rather as a collective contributing to society.

There's racial disparity no doubt but something needs to change within the general Black Community. How is that the Black community is still the worst off and committing the the most crimes %wise with the highest single parents rate with the largest percentage on welfare when so many other underprivileged races/backgrounds come here and they seem to doing fine. Most of the videos I see on social media about fighting or unattractive behavior on the streets or postings on websites like worldstar are for the most part Black or partaking in "hood" culture.

For Boston, if it had more Black people, is there proof it would be any better off? From the vast majority of Black Dominated communities I would think not. If in 20 years the Black community it is still the worse off then what's to be said then? Is it still society's fault? And guess what, I would avoid visiting or living in areas that are mostly "white trash" or "rednecks" too. I would also avoid heavy Asian areas if they were statistically cresting the worst off communities. Even Black people move away from Black communities to try to better their lives and you hear so many within the Black community calling them names or needing of White affirmation.. It's a shame.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by TolivfoR; 07-19-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 05:13 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Blacks moves to cities in the rustbelt because of the jobs available. As far as I know, Boston has never had a thriving industrial economy.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:43 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
I think tourists think boston is alot whiter than it really is, maybe the tourist areas are whiter. My sisters first job out of college was with the boston public schools and its only 13% white in the boston public school system. Boston is a majority /minority city , I think it has alot to with boston not being in the media alot. Its crazy how the media forms perceptions of america

Old 07-22-2017, 06:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
I guess the rumors were true after all: City Data truly is Storm-Front "lite."

All this racism just rolling off the tongue so easily from a lot of you (even those that are supposedly "progressive").

Last edited by Texyn; 07-22-2017 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.