Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times

Advertisements

I want to add and subtract.

The new Pennslvania!...

Philadelphia, Buck, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties (already in PA). Add all of Delaware, and all of SJ from Mercer/Middlesex/Monmouth Southward. That would be a great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
West Virginia:

Option 1:

The Big Grab (Western PA)

This would be an economic based grab, with taking over Metro Pittsburgh. Obviously this would never happen, but for fun (like the aim of the thread), WV will gladly welcome our neighbors to the north to plunder their economy similarly to the way they plundered our coal for their steel mills! With these counties, WV will have a stranglehold on the natural gas industry! WV will also have access to exceptional universities, Fortune 500 companies, professional sports, historic sites, and of course the city of Pittsburgh itself!

1. Fayette County, PA (rename Penn County) // 133,628 population

2. Greene County, PA // 37,843 population

3. Washington County, PA // 208,187 population

4. Edit: Westmoreland County remove: Montgomery County, PA // 357,956 population

5. Allegheny County, PA // 1,225,365 population

As a result, WV would gain a major city and add almost 2 million people doubling the population of the state. WV would be able to use that leverage to become an energy powerhouse with coal, oil, and gas, and become the Texas of the east in terms of marketability. The Mon River would be key to the development of ethane cracker facilities, and my guess is the further development of natural gas powered vehicles. Steel could become an American industry again, with advancements in its production.

Option 2:

The Geographic Fit (Maryland Panhandle plus in in Virginia)

This certainly makes more sense than the option above. Western Maryland has often been considered to have a cultural and economic divide between it and the rest of the state (Baltimore/DC area). Annexing this part of Maryland would be a natural geographic fit for the state of WV, and would help bolster the tourism industry in that region. This would also bring into WV more of the sprawling DC suburbs and outskirts. This plan would also bring Winchester, VA into the state.

1. Garrett County, MD // 30,005 population

2. Allegany County, MD // 72,528 population

3. Washington County, MD // 149,585 population

4. Fredrick County, MD // 245,322 population

5. Fredrick County, VA (rename Shenandoah County) // 83,199 population

The result would give West Virginia greater access to the DC/Baltimore market, further encourage recreation and tourism in the mountains, and would not be a large of a burden to undertake as the option above. The total added population would be over 580,000 which would be a lot but much more manageable. Cities like Fredrick, Winchester, Hagerstown, and Cumberland would fit well with our collection of small cities.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:40 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
West Virginia:

Option 1:

The Big Grab (Western PA)

This would be an economic based grab, with taking over Metro Pittsburgh. Obviously this would never happen, but for fun (like the aim of the thread), WV will gladly welcome our neighbors to the north to plunder their economy similarly to the way they plundered our coal for their steel mills! With these counties, WV will have a stranglehold on the natural gas industry! WV will also have access to exceptional universities, Fortune 500 companies, professional sports, historic sites, and of course the city of Pittsburgh itself!

1. Fayette County, PA (rename Penn County) // 133,628 population

2. Greene County, PA // 37,843 population

3. Washington County, PA // 208,187 population

4. Montgomery County, PA // 821,725 population

5. Allegheny County, PA // 1,225,365 population

Montgomery County isn't in metro Pittsburgh.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Just the opposite. When I lived in Oakland County MI, my neighbors discussed how great it would be if Canada annexed Wayne county (primarily Detroit).

Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Montgomery County isn't in metro Pittsburgh.
Haha I don't know why I put Montgomery County. I meant Westmoreland County, which I included in an edit! Thanks

Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Currently live in Maryland and since that's already been covered, let me do my native South Carolina.

1. Mecklenburg County, NC. This is a no-brainer.
2. Chatham County, GA. Another no-brainer. Having Charleston and Savannah in the same state would just be amazing.
3. Richmond County, GA. SC would get another military base, medical school, and the Masters.
4. Brunswick County, NC. Myrtle Beach has already stolen this county from Wilmington's MSA so might as well annex it.
5. Transylvania County, NC. This would give SC more mountains and waterfalls.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Maryland, give us, Loudoun County VA, Adams County PA and the entire state of Delaware.
I think most of Delaware would prefer to be annexed to Pennsylvania. But you guys can have Sussex County (minus the beach areas), for sure

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
New Jersey

Philadelphia County, PA
Bucks County, PA
New York County, NY
King County, NY
Queens County, NY

Staten island would be an interesting outlier not connected to the rest of NY state in this instance

Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Currently live in Maryland and since that's already been covered, let me do my native South Carolina.

1. Mecklenburg County, NC. This is a no-brainer.
2. Chatham County, GA. Another no-brainer. Having Charleston and Savannah in the same state would just be amazing.
3. Richmond County, GA. SC would get another military base, medical school, and the Masters.
4. Brunswick County, NC. Myrtle Beach has already stolen this county from Wilmington's MSA so might as well annex it.
5. Transylvania County, NC. This would give SC more mountains and waterfalls.
Conversely, I would imagine that NC (Charlotte in particular) would want to annex York County, SC in particular and possibly Lancaster & Chester as well to round out Charlotte's metro more completely in NC alone.
Additionally, NC would probably like to have Blount, Sevier and Cocke Counties in TN to have the Great Smokey Mtns National Park completely within NC.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I live in Texas and the first two counties I would annex would be Eddy and Lea Counties in New Mexico so we would have more of the Energy Basin.I would also annex Otero County,NM so we could get Alamogordo.The last two would be Dona Ana County so we could get Las Cruces,New Mexico.I would annex Roosevelt County so we could get Clovis and Portales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.