Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 892 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am looking to move to the West Coast from the very affordable area of South Carolina. What cities/towns would be affordable that has great culture and food, with some fun outdoor activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
None of them are affordable in the truest senses of the words "cities" or "affordable".

LA, SD, SF, Portland, and Seattle, are the true "cities", and all are not affordable. You *could* find a way to make it work in each of them, but you wouldn't get much of a bang for your buck, at best you'd be in a roommate situation, or an undesirable suburb.

The Central Valley in CA (Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, et al) is more reasonable, but doesn't have as great of culture and food, and aren't on the coast. Oregon, outside of Bend and Portland is affordable, but it doesn't have great culture or food (no large cities on the OR coast). In WA, you'd have to go east of the Cascades to find affordable, but by then you're really not on the "West Coast" anymore, and the culture/food is a lot more middle American, aside from some sparse Mexican influences.

Not sure if you consider NV, AZ, and ID to be "West Coast" states, but those are much more affordable, but also likely don't have as much of the culture or food (outside of LV possibly) you seek.

A budget, and more of an idea what exactly you're looking for would help us narrow it better.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBfunseeker View Post
Hello all!

I am looking to move to the West Coast from the very affordable area of South Carolina. What cities/towns would be affordable that has great culture and food, with some fun outdoor activities.

Boise , Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Tucson

Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Albuquerque NM, Boise ID, Spokane WA, Salt Lake City UT

Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The Central Valley in CA (Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, et al) is more reasonable, but doesn't have as great of culture and food, and aren't on the coast.
I disagree as I think ultimately it offers the OP some really good options and while it may lack culturally when compared to other major CA cities it certainly stands up well versus most cities in the US and the food scene is much better than many other areas and benefits from it's outstanding agricultural products (the area produces masses of fruits/vegetables that feeds the US) along with the foodie aspect from the nearby CA wine country.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree as I think ultimately it offers the OP some really good options and while it may lack culturally when compared to other major CA cities it certainly stands up well versus most cities in the US and the food scene is much better than many other areas and benefits from it's outstanding agricultural products (the area produces masses of fruits/vegetables that feeds the US) along with the foodie aspect from the nearby CA wine country.
Agreed, but in the general sense the cities in the CV wouldn't compare to SF/LA, but Sacramento would come closest.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I don't think affordable and West Coast go in the same sentence.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:48 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't think affordable and West Coast go in the same sentence.
It depends upon one's interpretation of affordable and due to income it varies considerably.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It depends upon one's interpretation of affordable and due to income it varies considerably.
Yes, you're right. My comment was partially sarcastic.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:36 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes, you're right. My comment was partially sarcastic.
I agree that the West's affordability and wages vary. But GENERALLY the west coast isn't very affordable for the average person. In places like Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Boise, and Spokane it's a good bit more affordable to the average person. CA, OR, and WA coasts, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.