Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 08:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I did it. Went from Texas, which is basically the land of no seasons, to DC, which has pretty defined seasons usually. Loved it and I haven't looked back. Humid and 80 in Tyler last week. No thanks. No regerts.

Texas is not the land of no seasons - GUAM or anywhere along the equator would be more like the land of no seasons. Or maybe one season. Very little fluctuation. NE Texas has plenty of fluctuation - but thankfully we don't get much frozen precipitation or overcast days.

80 in Tyler TX last week is not the norm, or the average - you know that. After a cold spell of a coupla days when the front came through, today it was back to normal and quite average for winter here, which is highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s, and fabulous beautiful sunshine. It was a gorgeous winter day, typical for December here.

I get that you don't like it but that's OK. You go on and live in the PNW where rain and overcast days are dominant this time of year. You can be happy there and many many other people will be happy here.

I mean, you are still in the PNW right? You move so much it's hard to keep up with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas is not the land of no seasons - GUAM or anywhere along the equator would be more like the land of no seasons. Or maybe one season. Very little fluctuation. NE Texas has plenty of fluctuation - but thankfully we don't get much frozen precipitation or overcast days.

80 in Tyler TX last week is not the norm, or the average - you know that. After a cold spell of a coupla days when the front came through, today it was back to normal and quite average for winter here, which is highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s, and fabulous beautiful sunshine. It was a gorgeous winter day, typical for December here.

I get that you don't like it but that's OK. You go on and live in the PNW where rain and overcast days are dominant this time of year. You can be happy there and many many other people will be happy here.

I mean, you are still in the PNW right? You move so much it's hard to keep up with you.
I think it's interesting that North Texas sees more 80° days in December than we do here in Phoenix, we usually don't hit 80° at all in December despite an average high of 67°

Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think it's interesting that North Texas sees more 80° days in December than we do here in Phoenix, we usually don't hit 80° at all in December despite an average high of 67°
And your 80 is dry

Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's very unusual for us to reach that temperature in December. So if it were true that Tyler sees more 80 degree days in December than you do in Phoenix, it would be interesting, but unfortunately it's not true. Not to say that something crazy couldn't happen. But our average high this year is 64 and our average low is 40. This month so far we've actually gotten down to 29. Last month (November) we reached a low of 21. Brrrr!

In December 2017 the highest recorded temperature in Phoenix was 84. But that's not the norm of course.

Quote:
Average Weather in December in Phoenix Arizona, United States

Daily high temperatures decrease by 4°F, from 70°F to 66°F, rarely falling below 57°F or exceeding 78°F. The lowest daily average high temperature is 65°F on December 26.

Daily low temperatures decrease by 3°F, from 49°F to 45°F, rarely falling below 37°F or exceeding 56°F. The lowest daily average low temperature is 45°F on December 28.

For reference, on July 5, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Phoenix typically range from 84°F to 107°F, while on December 28, the coldest day of the year, they range from 45°F to 65°F.
https://weatherspark.com/m/2460/12/A...-United-States

Quote:
Average Weather in December in Tyler Texas, United States

Daily high temperatures decrease by 6°F, from 63°F to 57°F, rarely falling below 41°F or exceeding 74°F.

Daily low temperatures decrease by 5°F, from 44°F to 39°F, rarely falling below 26°F or exceeding 59°F.

For reference, on August 11, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Tyler typically range from 74°F to 94°F, while on January 6, the coldest day of the year, they range from 38°F to 56°F.
https://weatherspark.com/m/9352/12/A...-United-States

You may find these graphs of historical weather in both Phoenix and Tyler (NE Texas) interesting:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...X/date/2018-12
https://www.wunderground.com/history...R/date/2018-12

Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 AM

And this is a warmer than usual December and winter so far in NE Texas. Here are the yearly average highs and lows by month. December's highs are usually around 58 and the lows are usually around 38.
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx1383

I prefer it when it's chillier than it has been here lately (today's high is forecast to be 67 for instance and I prefer temps in the 50s for highs this time of year) but oh well, at least we have nights in the 30s and 40s and a few below freezing to get us in the Christmas spirit!

Can't wait to go to San Antonio for a few days next week - a cold front is coming in so the weather will be chilly (50s/30s there too) with tons of sunshine. Perfect weather to stroll along the River Walk and take in all the lights. I love San Antonio at Christmas time!

Old 12-14-2019, 11:01 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I love the change of seasons. I love fall foliage and seeing the plants coming out in the spring. ,

Old 12-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I love the change of seasons. I love fall foliage and seeing the plants coming out in the spring. ,
ME TOOOOO! Definitely not overrated to me!

Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Hit 92 in falfurrias Texas. Incredible

Old 12-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Hit 92 in falfurrias Texas. Incredible
Not here in NE Texas. Falfurrias is way down south near the Mexico border, at least a 7 hour drive south from here. In most parts of the US, that would be, you know, like in a different state. I'd hate to live there

Yesterday in NE Texas was GORGEOUS again! And all this next week, after a bit of rain Monday morning, is forecast to be sunny and in the 50s during the day and 30s at night. Love it!

However, I'll be in San Antonio most of next week and wandering around the River Walk admiring all the lights while wearing a light coat and cute scarf. Similar forecast there as well.

I much prefer the River Walk in the winter rather than in the summer. Due to the change in the seasons, it's cool and crisp and also a lot less crowded.

I wonder if the Alamo is open. I heard they just found three sets of human remains there during renovations. https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...s-at-the-alamo

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-15-2019 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 09:55 AM

92 in Texas. On the cusp of Christmas and it’s 92. Cray cray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.