Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

My friend is considering moving so I thought I'd ask the forums for suggestions or affirmation.

-Single, early 30s, female
-accountant (I believe CPA) works for pwc
-lives in Tampa and due to family situation would like to be able to visit conveniently
-seeking more seasons, more of a big city vibe, affordability to buy a place

I pretty much figured her options are as follows:
Best: Chicago, Philly
Good: Atlanta, Dallas
Maybe: Houston, Charlotte

Atlanta was the city she figured was her best bet. I'm pushing her to give a long hard look at those top two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Depends completely on what she means when she says "big city vibe". Does she like driving to the grocery store? Does she want to be able to grill in a yard? Does she like condo living? Does she want to be able to walk to urban parks full of people and art 7 days a week/any time of the day? It's about lifestyle IMO.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:05 PM

We didnt talk about this, but my guess is she doesn't care about grilling in a yard, but she would say yes to the rest of your questions (well maybe not any time of day but 7 days a week on that last one).

Knowing her she probably wants to have decent/good walkability and she likes skyscrapers and vibrancy.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
We didnt talk about this, but my guess is she doesn't care about grilling in a yard, but she would say yes to the rest of your questions (well maybe not any time of day but 7 days a week on that last one).

Knowing her she probably wants to have decent/good walkability and she likes skyscrapers and vibrancy.
I'll give you my personal opinion. I could have moved to a big city (I won't say which one) with a large metro population. It has a smaller urban core and nodes of density. Weak transit is available, especially when you consider the size of the city and all the neighborhoods that are really tough to get to. Basically, it was a similar lifestyle that I had in Richmond VA; if I live in one of 6 neighborhoods and work downtown, I can have a nice urban QOL. But if I wanted to go 70% of the places in the metro, I have to get in the car. Grocery shopping was best done in the car where I lived for example.

That's good enough for some. If they have their taste of urban life, but accessibility via a car for most things (aka typical American life), they're good. But that's not what I like. I'm more of an urban European in mindset. I wanted a city where I'm not giving anything up if I go car-less. I want to work, live, shop, go out, take walks, see authentic urban life, raise kids, and have a full life in the city. And I don't mean one neighborhood with the offerings and having the urbanity and life taper off into low density life. I wanted a place that was expansive.

If your friend is like me, I highly recommend Philly or Chicago. If she's happy with the paragraph before ("urban lite" if you will), Philly and Chicago have that too, but they can get that in other cities like Atlanta that are closer to home. You're a good friend to force her to really think things through, and I for one think it's the little things. The every day things that matter most in the decision-making (not GDP, skylines, or annual airport passenger counts).

Old 10-06-2017, 01:32 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
My friend is considering moving so I thought I'd ask the forums for suggestions or affirmation.

-Single, early 30s, female
-accountant (I believe CPA) works for pwc
-lives in Tampa and due to family situation would like to be able to visit conveniently
-seeking more seasons, more of a big city vibe, affordability to buy a place

I pretty much figured her options are as follows:
Best: Chicago, Philly
Good: Atlanta, Dallas
Maybe: Houston, Charlotte

Atlanta was the city she figured was her best bet. I'm pushing her to give a long hard look at those top two.
Going from Tampa to Chicago or Philly would be jarring at best. Atlanta, Charlotte and Dallas would offer much less culture shock and the bigger city vibe without the grit/grime, along with perceptions of being unsafe whether accurate or not...which is something to consider if single and female.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Going from Tampa to Chicago or Philly would be jarring at best. Atlanta, Charlotte and Dallas would offer much less culture shock and the bigger city vibe without the grit/grime, along with perceptions of being unsafe whether accurate or not...which is something to consider if single and female.
I went from Rochester, NY to Richmond, VA to Philly. I traveled a ton and spent a lot of time in cities. Moved directly into South Philly and have been here since. I definitely experienced some culture shock, despite my life and travels in cities before. But not in a bad way.

Btw - Both Chicago and Philly have some wonderful urban neighborhoods and suburbs that would not deal out culture shock or high crime.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I went from Rochester, NY to Richmond, VA to Philly. I traveled a ton and spent a lot of time in cities. Moved directly into South Philly and have been here since. I definitely experienced some culture shock, despite my life and travels in cities before. But not in a bad way.

Btw - Both Chicago and Philly have some wonderful urban neighborhoods and suburbs that would not deal out culture shock or high crime.
Rochester NY and Richmond VA are far more similar to Philly than Tampa, it's not even close. Living in Central Florida myself currently and having lived in Philly for 10 years can tell you it's 180 degrees of separation, and the OP's friend needs to be aware of that.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the further replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If your friend is like me, I highly recommend Philly or Chicago. If she's happy with the paragraph before ("urban lite" if you will), Philly and Chicago have that too, but they can get that in other cities like Atlanta that are closer to home. You're a good friend to force her to really think things through, and I for one think it's the little things. The every day things that matter most in the decision-making (not GDP, skylines, or annual airport passenger counts).
Yeah we've chatted a little more and I think she'd be much happier with Chi or Philly. BUT it is sounding like ATL will be the destination for now. Her family is not cool with her going any farther than that lol. So it's a compromise...we will see how this plays out. Perhaps it is a stepping stone.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the further replies guys.
Yeah we've chatted a little more and I think she'd be much happier with Chi or Philly. BUT it is sounding like ATL will be the destination for now. Her family is not cool with her going any farther than that lol. So it's a compromise...we will see how this plays out. Perhaps it is a stepping stone.
That makes some good sense, smart family. Atlanta will provide enough of an urban vibe not to mention much better cost of living and job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.