Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
True. I'm around 5'8. Mid twenties white Hispanic male. Most of my friends are the same height or taller than me. I can only think of a few friends I have that are shorter than me. One is a Sicilian guy a year older than me who is a couple inches shorter. Another is a Puerto Rican guy who is almost my height but not quite. We are all from NY.

Now that I think about it, I'm the shortest male in my family. Both my male and female cousins are significantly taller than me. Guess I got the bad genes in the family lol.
What's your definition of "significantly?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 05:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
Are people shorter in the Northeast?

I don't know but I know they are more opinionated !

Old 01-17-2018, 05:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'm taller than average (5'8" and female) and though my ancestry is nearly all British, it's northern UK with a hefty chunk of Scandinavian, Finnish, and German (as in Prussian) in it - those Vikings were tall and strapping apparently. Basically my ancestry is from countries ringing the North Sea and those folks tend to be tall.

My kids are extremely tall - only one of my four adult kids (my oldest daughter) is slightly shorter than me. My sons and my brothers are all 6'1" to 6'5" and my youngest daughter is 5'10". Also, my 79 year old mother is STILL taller than me, also at 5'10". We've really got some very tall genes in our family.

We've lived in the southern US since the early 1700s by the way.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Sounds like OP is comparing the Northeast specifically to the Midwest.

The upper-midwest was largely settled by Germans and Scandinavians; among the taller ethnic groups. It stands to reason then that perhaps the midwest is just "taller" than average.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Not from my 5'2" view.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
I'm short for a male, but not as short as my father
He was,5'3" and my mother was 5'9", I came out in the middle at 5'6". But I have shrunk as I aged, so now only 5'5", but my father had too and is now 5'2".

My father's side is Scots-irish on his father's side,and firmly Norwegian immigrant on his mother's ( his mother was born in the USA, the first generation born here.) My father's families were from the Midwest

So maybe I'm mixed results between tall group and the short group? Just like amongst my parents?

I live in upstate N.Y., and can tell you most men here are TALLER than I. But I wasn't born here, I was born in the Midwest of Midwest parents. We were transplants to N.Y. for a firmly middle income family upbringing with plenty of good foods.

So from my point of view with my neck craned upwards, I don't think so. I think N.Y. ers are just as tall, but I'm short so what do I know?

Lol

Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Sounds like OP is comparing the Northeast specifically to the Midwest.

The upper-midwest was largely settled by Germans and Scandinavians; among the taller ethnic groups. It stands to reason then that perhaps the midwest is just "taller" than average.
Wasn't thinking about it that way (Midwest oriented) but now that I do, people in Cincinnati seem taller than people in Louisville. People in Louisville I feel are a bit below average and Cincinnati people seem slightly above average with a few taller people here and there. Not the tallest region I have been in but not particularly short either. Louisville though isn't Northeastern and it seems short as well but nutrition there is horrendous.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm taller than average (5'8" and female) and though my ancestry is nearly all British, it's northern UK with a hefty chunk of Scandinavian, Finnish, and German (as in Prussian) in it - those Vikings were tall and strapping apparently. Basically my ancestry is from countries ringing the North Sea and those folks tend to be tall.

My kids are extremely tall - only one of my four adult kids (my oldest daughter) is slightly shorter than me. My sons and my brothers are all 6'1" to 6'5" and my youngest daughter is 5'10". Also, my 79 year old mother is STILL taller than me, also at 5'10". We've really got some very tall genes in our family.

We've lived in the southern US since the early 1700s by the way.
If I distinctly remember you're from the low country? Or did I get that wrong?

Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Dude, it's a joke (I hope). It has absolutely nothing to do with 'drinking your milk'.

The Sudanese Masaai tribe's males average 6'4". The average Japanese man is 5'7".
Actually, it has a lot to do with drinking milk. The Maasai traditionally drink a lot of milk--practically live on the stuff. The Japanese traditionally don't drink it at all.

When the Japanese started consuming dairy products after WWII, they all became a lot taller.

The Changing Body And Increase In Height Of Japanese Women And Girls In The Last Century - Natural Height Growth

Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM

260 posts, read 433,699 times
I moved from NYC to Wisconsin and the people here are noticeably taller. I'm 6'1'' and I'm still taller than average in the southern part of the state, but the people in northern Wisconsin seemed huge.

I definitely see a lot more 6'4''+ dudes around. There always seems to be a few people in a bar who tower over me, even if I'm taller than most. But up north I feel pretty much average height wherever I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.