Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM

505 posts, read 501,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They're not the same thing! Freeways, which may be Interstates, have controlled access with limited on- and off-ramps. They have no intersections, stop signs or signals. Highways can have intersections and stop signs/signals. At least, that's how this Californian understands it.

Just saying you need to clarify your terms when asking a question like this, because different parts of the country use different terminology.

I think everyone sees Interstates more or less similarly.
Yeah, same. When I lived in Oregon, Highway 97 connected my hometown to Bend and I wouldn't equate that with a "freeway." When it got into town it stopped at intersections (both with traffic signals and just stop signs).

Now that I live in Southern California, I know highway =/= freeway/interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
I would go I-95 most important, i think I-80, and I-10 are tied in importance. In California its weird because there are so many freeways that are neither US highways, or interstates. I don't think any state has nearly as many Local non tolled freeways. In most states the only comparable ones would be US highways, winch I think California doesn't have as many since the system dates back to before California had such a larger population. In SoCal alone there are too many to even name.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I-20. It's what takes me from Texas back to my beloved Georgia.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure I understand your post. The definition of an Interstate is pretty clear. What am I missing?

Interstates have a very hard definition of how they are constructed, down to the inch. If they don't meet the requirements they will not be named "Interstates".
Some people here keep debating the meaning of interstates. Let it go already!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,370,412 times
I-80. If America was a person, 80 would be it's spine.

From wiki

"I--80 is the Interstate Highway that most closely approximates the route of the historic Lincoln Highway, the first road across the United States. The highway roughly traces other historically significant travel routes in the Western United States: the Oregon Trail across Wyoming and Nebraska, the California Trail across most of Nevada and California, the first transcontinental airmail route, and except in the Great Salt Lake area, the entire route of the First Transcontinental Railroad. "

Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They're not the same thing! Freeways, which may be Interstates, have controlled access with limited on- and off-ramps. They have no intersections, stop signs or signals. Highways can have intersections and stop signs/signals. At least, that's how this Californian understands it.

Incorrect answer about freeways. The Van Dyke freeway in the northern suburbs of Detroit has stoplights. The speed limit is 70 until you approach 1/4 mile from the signed intersection, where the speed limit drops to 55. The speed limit goes back up to 70 1/4 mile past the signed intersection.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Incorrect answer about freeways. The Van Dyke freeway in the northern suburbs of Detroit has stoplights. The speed limit is 70 until you approach 1/4 mile from the signed intersection, where the speed limit drops to 55. The speed limit goes back up to 70 1/4 mile past the signed intersection.
That's a highway, not a freeway. In general, I think of highways as divided roads with limited stoplights with a minimum speed limit of 55 outside of some cities. Even I-70 has a stoplight in Breezewood, PA, though that's as a connector from a freeway to a tollway. I'd still only rank I-70 as fourth most important east-west highway, behind I-80, I-10, and I-90. I-40 is the fifth most important, as although its longer than I-70, it doesn't seem to have as good of a collection of cities as the former, with Nashville, Raleigh, Memphis, and Oklahoma City the best it can do, while I-70 has Baltimore, Columbus, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Denver and isn't too far from DC and Pittsburgh. I-10 and I-90 are close in terms of second and thrid, but for I-10, having three of the top five cities along it along with New Orleans, Jacksonville, San Antonio, El Pason, and Tuscon help out along with the fact that I-90 has cold/severe winters while for I-10, a good air conditioner is all you need for part of the year, along with the fact that most cross-country traffic from the east tends to migrate down toward I-80 or I-55 near Chicago.

After I-95, I'd rate the most important north-south freeways as I-5, I-75, I-35, and I-55. "The 5" of course is the spine of the west coast, all the way from Vancouver as BC 99 down to Tijuana in Baja California I-85 is quite important in the Southeast, and even though the SF Bay Area isn't right on the route, it's a few short connector freeways away from it. I-75 goes from Ft. Lauderdale through Detroit and up into Ontario while passing through Columbus, Atlanta, and Tampa along the way. I-35 is another internationally important highway, connecting Monterrey, Mexico up through San Antonio, DFW, OKC, Kansas City, Des Moines, and eventually the MN Twin Cities. I-55 follows the Mississippi River up through St. Louis before turning towards Chicago.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To answer the question, IMO it is I-80 from San Francisco to New York City. Few Interstate's reach so many populous areas, (though it skirts just south of Chicago). I base this conclusion also on the amount of coast to coast truck traffic. I guess you could make an argument for I-95 on the east coast.

As for US Highways vs. Interstates, there is a big difference. US Highways were the original footprint of automobile highways in the first half of the 20th century. Many are still open today, many also are co-signed with Interstates. Some have been eclipsed by the Interstates. US Highways have fewer regulations, while Interstates have very defined regulations as to lane width, shoulders, exits and onramps, signage, etc. The glory years of Interstate construction, started by President Eisenhower, was 1956-1976. Some new Interstates are being built today, but these projects are small compared to the earlier era.
I-80, also I-70, though its western terminus is in Utah, not the Pacific coast. It goes through (from the west) Utah, then Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, then on to Baltimore with connections to DC.

North-south, I-95, also I-35, I-25 and 1-5.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
I-75, hands down.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
I-95 connects 5 of the top 10 most populated MSAs: New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Miami, and Boston.
Is there any other Interstate that can claim that sort of statistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.