Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 AM

266 posts, read 245,423 times
I've driven through Chattanooga a few times, although I haven't stopped, and I find it so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Any city that is flat will be underrated. Because as far as many people are concerned, mountains are the only features that count for scenery.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Saint Paul. All those hills and river bluffs. Take a drive down Shepard Road or head over to Shadow Falls on the west side.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Any city that is flat will be underrated. Because as far as many people are concerned, mountains are the only features that count for scenery.

You don't need mountains, but there needs to be some topographical variety otherwise you need to compensate with vegetation and/or a waterfront. Thats why I think some DFW suburbs are aesthetically lacking. Flat, not that many trees or water. What do they got to offer? Dallas at least makes up with it with some rolling terrain and architecture.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I grew up on the Gulf coast and was about seven years old when I remember first seeing land that wasn't flat. We were running from a hurricane that didn't actually hit where I lived and went to Austin. Gulf life.

There is a stretch of Main Street in Houston near Rice University with a canopy of old growth oak trees that have somehow stayed up and alive in all the storms, floods and such. The Rice campus in general is probably the nicest looking place in the city. It's just not what people see when they touch down at the airport and start heading in that direction.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Cincinnati as many have already said. Most people in real life who haven't been there expect it to be flat and boring because "Ohio"
There are only a few states that truly have a singular look to them. Cincinnati is across a river from Kentucky and looks more like Kentucky in its topography than it does, say, Lima, an area that more or less lives up to that popular image (if there's some oil refineries where cornfields would be). Same goes for the Appalachian area east of Cincy toward West Virginia.

Up that way, I've had to explain to people that not all of Texas is a desert, that all those Western movies supposed to be set in Texas were filmed in California, and to use whatever their concept of Louisiana or Florida is to get a better idea of what it looks like where I grew up.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:24 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Atlanta is not nearly as beautiful as people on this site claim. Much of it is really quite ugly.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:30 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I grew up on the Gulf coast and was about seven years old when I remember first seeing land that wasn't flat. We were running from a hurricane that didn't actually hit where I lived and went to Austin. Gulf life.

There is a stretch of Main Street in Houston near Rice University with a canopy of old growth oak trees that have somehow stayed up and alive in all the storms, floods and such. The Rice campus in general is probably the nicest looking place in the city. It's just not what people see when they touch down at the airport and start heading in that direction.

I was impressed by my visit to the old historic neighborhoods of Mobile. I found the city to be a cross between New Orleans and Charleston.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

There is a stretch of Main Street in Houston near Rice University with a canopy of old growth oak trees that have somehow stayed up and alive in all the storms, floods and such. The Rice campus in general is probably the nicest looking place in the city.
The periodic floods are actually good for the oaks, since they help distribute nutrient rich sediments that are helpful for tree/plant growth.

Quote:
It's just not what people see when they touch down at the airport and start heading in that direction.
As of Super Bowl 2k17, Broadway St + 45S will present the more aesthetically pleasing airport-city drive.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
As of Super Bowl 2k17, Broadway St + 45S will present the more aesthetically pleasing airport-city drive.
And then you have to get on 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.