Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intimidating for a visitor to drive in?
Boston 64 34.97%
New York 102 55.74%
Philadelphia 14 7.65%
Baltimore 6 3.28%
DC 16 8.74%
Pittsburgh 8 4.37%
Detroit 5 2.73%
Cleveland 1 0.55%
Cincinnati 2 1.09%
Chicago 14 7.65%
Denver 0 0%
Seattle 8 4.37%
San Fransisco 26 14.21%
LA 30 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I hate driving in cities. My hate criteria is:

1. Too much traffic - To this day I still can't believe bumper to bumper traffic on the LA freeways late on a Sunday night.

2. One way streets and circles.

3. Parallel parking.

4. Alternate side of the street parking.

5. You have to park so far away from your destination you are afraid of being mugged, killed or verbally accosted by a crazy homeless drugged or drunk guy while you walk from your parking location to your actual destination.

6. Residents feel the same way as visitors about driving and ride dirty graffiti public transportation with a bunch of sneezing, coughing, diseased, smelly, bumping people and/or thugs.

7. You're more likely to have people without a license (none, suspended, revoked) on the road simply because there are more people living in cities.

8. Potholes the size of craters on the moon. (That's you Baltimore)

9. More pedestrians not paying attention when crossing the road sometimes in groups while I'm trying to read street signs to get where I'm going - worried about plowing into them and being shot by police. I'm not a terrorist. Honest.

10. It costs you a weeks pay and your first born son to drive over some bridge (That's you, GW Bridge). Toll takers should hand out lottery scratch offs. Winners can use their jackpots to move.

11. You become religious praying you won't have to leave your car after driving over a pothole (that's you Cross Bronx Expressway) and come back to find it stripped.

12. To get where I'm going (not in DC) on some trip, I still have to drive on the DC Beltway. Shoot me now!

However, I'll be doing all of the cursing so city people are off the hook on that.

Last edited by LauraC; 04-17-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:28 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
I'd say Boston and Pittsburgh because there is seemingly no rhyme or reason for how the streets are laid out, plus the street names sometimes just change at random.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I'm not sure why Washington, DC isn't on the list. Because the city has a street grid that is intersected by avenues at odd angles, it is very had to navigate.
It's actually quite logical if one looks at a map, with a grid pattern of numbers and letters. When the alphabet letters run out the names continue alphabetically by two syllable names, then once they run out it goes by by three syllable names...also alphabetically. The streets that run diagonally as state names are cast over the grid so it's hard to truly get lost if one can reason that the grid continues around you.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Chicago? Can those visitors find their way to the fridge for a midnight snack?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Chicago is laid out in a perfect NS/EW grid with uniform spacing between blocks. The stop lights even have block numbers on them so you can tell if the numbers are going up or down. If you can't navigate your way around Chicago you're hopeless.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I grew up outside of NYC by a bit. I don't think it's really that intimidating to drive through. Manhattan in particular is set up on a grid and it's very hard to get lost. As long as you understand you're not going to get anywhere quickly, it's not super frustrating. Parking on the other hand.

Boston is far, far worse to drive in than NYC. A confusing tangle of roads at random, tons of rotaries, and many roads even lack signage. It's gotten easier now that we all have GPS, but it was absolutely horrible back in my early 20s when I was just going by printed Mapquest directions.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Boston has been the worst for me, lots of curvy roads with intersections meeting at odd angles and without consistent spacing. Atlanta freeways were nerve wracking because of the high speeds everyone is doing. DC is a bit intimidating and confusing with what seems to be an excessive amount of one-way streets and congestion always seems bad. Haven't driven in NYC. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago don't faze me.

San Juan was also a whirring blender of nerves...

Last edited by Ghengis; 04-17-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM

513 posts, read 499,180 times
Boston and Miami. Aggressively bad drivers in both places. I actually find California drivers quite good overalls

Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
NYC because your fancy car will get dinged up and all the pedestrians, vans and trucks and parking is a nightmare. Not as bad on the Upper East Side but Midtown and Lower Manhattan was a nightmare, Boston is a awful as well.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
There's a reason why Boston has so many votes; That's because Boston before gps was the most challenging for anyone who is new to the City or area.

Boston before the Big Dig, holy God.

Boston during the Big Dig, forget it. You'd have yourself committed.

I almost did and i live here.

Trust me on this one guys: I've traveled extensively or lived in almost every city in the US. NYC is a distant 2nd. NYC getting so many votes because it's being judged as intimidating because of it's sheer size. But there's really no call for it.

The Cross Bronx and Tri-borough seems to rattle folks....

& the Bronx is confusing.

But still not anywhere on the scale of wacky Boston hahaha.

Honorable mentions for reasonable horror imo; DC, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Houston and LA, all mostly due to traffic increases in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.