Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intimidating for a visitor to drive in?
Boston 64 34.97%
New York 102 55.74%
Philadelphia 14 7.65%
Baltimore 6 3.28%
DC 16 8.74%
Pittsburgh 8 4.37%
Detroit 5 2.73%
Cleveland 1 0.55%
Cincinnati 2 1.09%
Chicago 14 7.65%
Denver 0 0%
Seattle 8 4.37%
San Fransisco 26 14.21%
LA 30 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times

Advertisements

NYC is definitely the most difficult. Boston's inner city with a lack of a proper grid is very challenging. Philadelphia has a proper grid, but the streets are very narrow, the drivers are aggressive (which I actually love), and there are so many one-way streets. LA's traffic, IMO, is actually very underrated which can make it challenging. Being from there, I know the back roads and can even tell when Waze is taking me a strange way that I know will eventually get backed up. The traffic is just so random there. SF is extremely difficult as well. Many major streets with no left/right turns or no turns at all, several one-way streets mixed in with those no-turn streets, a few different grid layouts blending together, and the confusion between the Avenues (Richmond/Sunset) and the Streets (Mission/Castro).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
how did i leave out New Orleans and San Francisco? :banghead:

Old 04-18-2018, 10:40 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
NYC is definitely the most difficult. Boston's inner city with a lack of a proper grid is very challenging. Philadelphia has a proper grid, but the streets are very narrow, the drivers are aggressive (which I actually love), and there are so many one-way streets. LA's traffic, IMO, is actually very underrated which can make it challenging. Being from there, I know the back roads and can even tell when Waze is taking me a strange way that I know will eventually get backed up. The traffic is just so random there. SF is extremely difficult as well. Many major streets with no left/right turns or no turns at all, several one-way streets mixed in with those no-turn streets, a few different grid layouts blending together, and the confusion between the Avenues (Richmond/Sunset) and the Streets (Mission/Castro).
Bike Lanes, MTA Bus, Heavy Traffic, Reckless Taxis, No turn signals, illegal shoulder head, Cutting drivers off emergency lanes in rush hour Welcome to NYC

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Boston is EASILY the worst. Confusing street layout, aggressive (and incompetent) drivers, and pedestrians who will step off the curb without even looking. It's a nightmare. NYC is more congested, but Boston is worse.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Boston then Houston.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I never really thought of how street names can be a problem in Boston. There is more than one Washington Street. I used to live in South Boston near Andrew Square where Dorchester Street intersects with Dorchester Ave.
The Denver suburbs have streets with names like 80th Avenue, 80th Place, 80th Drive, 80th Circle, etc. Same named streets often stop and then start up again blocks later. The city itself is fairly easy to drive, relatively flat, on a grid with a different grid downtown, decent signage. Drivers are quite aggressive however. I believe I read once that the term "road rage" was invented here.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The Denver suburbs have streets with names like 80th Avenue, 80th Place, 80th Drive, 80th Circle, etc. Same named streets often stop and then start up again blocks later. The city itself is fairly easy to drive, relatively flat, on a grid with a different grid downtown, decent signage. Drivers are quite aggressive however.
Wow. This sounds exactly like Queens in New York!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:24 AM

159 posts, read 172,078 times
Pittsburgh would be way higher in the poll if more people were familiar with it. It is similar to Boston in a lot of ways.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Pittsburgh would be way higher in the poll if more people were familiar with it. It is similar to Boston in a lot of ways.
I got used to driving around Pittsburgh after about a year or so of living here. The lack of a grid can be confusing, and the big topographical differences mean you can often see a neighborhood but not have a clear idea about how to get there. But unlike Boston all the roads are clearly marked and there aren't any confusing rotaries to deal with. Traffic is nowhere near as terrible, and drivers aren't particularly aggressive either.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The Denver suburbs have streets with names like 80th Avenue, 80th Place, 80th Drive, 80th Circle, etc. Same named streets often stop and then start up again blocks later. The city itself is fairly easy to drive, relatively flat, on a grid with a different grid downtown, decent signage. Drivers are quite aggressive however. I believe I read once that the term "road rage" was invented here.
You just described the borough of Queens in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.