Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 350,521 times

Advertisements

^ It's refreshing to hear that, when the big push by most is to get the hell out of cities and in to the sterile suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I live in an area now that has a diverse mix of people, from yuppies to theater performers to bums and drug dealers. I live here in part because it is w/i biking distance of where I go to college.

Even after I graduate and have a good job I plan on living in a low income neighborhood. Why? A lot of it has to do with my interpretation of the Bible (as I am a Christian) that believers should not live in luxury while others are in poverty. Despite dozens of examples of wealthy Christians selling their possessions (including real estate) and giving to the poor, most "Christians" today believe that God wants them to live in 4 story houses in gated neighborhoods, while despising the poor.

There are other reasons as well. Here in Louisville, many low income areas have been nearly depopulated and now have few crime or traffic problems. Plus you can get a lot more house for your money than in the burbs. I could buy a huge house with a store front downstairs for $150,000! A tenth acre lot in the suburbs cost nearly that much itself.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I live in the North Bronx. I could definitely afford to live in a better area at this point, but I have roots in my neighborhood and too many connections. Plus I genuinely enjoy living in my neighborhood. There's lots of bars in my neighborhood, and a bunch of the stores are open pretty late, so I usually go walking around when I get bored.

Eventually I'll probably end up leaving, but not for a while. I'd like to eventually live in a nicer neighborhood of Manhattan, however I doubt I'll be able to afford that anytime in the near future.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Most people looking to move don't use the term "low income" but many are looking for inexpensive housing and a lower cost of living.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
All "low income" areas are not the same. A poor rural area where people leave their doors unlocked would be okay, but I wouldn't live in a "ghetto" where everyone has bars over their windows.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All "low income" areas are not the same. A poor rural area where people leave their doors unlocked would be okay, but I wouldn't live in a "ghetto" where everyone has bars over their windows.

couldn't say about "ghetto" because I have never lived in that situation. I do live in a rural area that frankly, I couldn't tell you where the house keys even MIGHT be.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:11 PM

118 posts, read 537,568 times
Most people probably wouldn't mind living in areas like these, but I think the thought of high crime deters most. It is generally accepted that poverty and crime go hand in hand.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
We're currently 'stuck' in lower northeast Philadelphia if anyone is familiar with it. It's not the worst neighborhood but maybe a step or 2 up;
It's mostly entrenched locals who have lived here for generations and anyone coming in from the 'outside' will definitely feel it!
Anyway we have to kinda stick around here because it's my wife's 'turf' where her job and family are,we could probably afford better somewhere else but that's where everything stands currently.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
We always tried to get my grandmother to move out of the sketchy part of town and she refused. She lived in the same house for 20 years and nothing ever happened to her.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
We always tried to get my grandmother to move out of the sketchy part of town and she refused. She lived in the same house for 20 years and nothing ever happened to her.
What's the definition of 'sketchy' though? It can vary from area to area.
We have old people that lived around here their whole lives also and 'nothing ever happened to them',but then again they stay in the house most of the time also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.