Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
In Utah you might have trouble in much of it if you're not LDS. Not that they're bad people but don't expect a social life and be aware the place is a theocracy.
The non-Mormons in Utah seem to have a very satisfying social life, and your accusation of the place being a theocracy is a huge and unfair exaggeration -- particularly with regards to Salt Lake City. But then I notice you frequently have negative things to say about Mormons, so maybe I should just chalk it up to bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 04:40 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The non-Mormons in Utah seem to have a very satisfying social life, and your accusation of the place being a theocracy is a huge and unfair exaggeration -- particularly with regards to Salt Lake City. But then I notice you frequently have negative things to say about Mormons, so maybe I should just chalk it up to bigotry.
It may be an exaggeration to say Utah is a theocracy, however it would also be completely inaccurate to say the the church doesn’t have a strong arm in shaping state politics/policy.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Colorado, just stay in the rural areas or burbs. There are enough conservatives in the state to stop it from becoming California anytime soon. It's as close to a libertarian state as we have in the US outside of New Hampshire or Alaska.
Even in the rural areas and burbs (I'm assuming you mean Denver burbs) you still have to live with the state policies such as recreational marijuana, taxes for football stadiums, baseball stadiums, scientific and cultural facilities, etc in the burbs, etc. Please note I'm not saying I support or do not support any of these issues.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Even in the rural areas and burbs (I'm assuming you mean Denver burbs) you still have to live with the state policies such as recreational marijuana, taxes for football stadiums, baseball stadiums, scientific and cultural facilities, etc in the burbs, etc. Please note I'm not saying I support or do not support any of these issues.
Not all conservatives are against marijuana

Old 05-27-2018, 05:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Why not the UP of Michigan? The Porcupine mountains have got to offer winter sport options. Also, even in the most liberal parts of the Midwest, guns are a normal part of life. Lots of hunting up here.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:12 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why not the UP of Michigan? The Porcupine mountains have got to offer winter sport options. Also, even in the most liberal parts of the Midwest, guns are a normal part of life. Lots of hunting up here.
Big difference between a more live and let live and the conservative Bible belt.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It may be an exaggeration to say Utah is a theocracy, however it would also be completely inaccurate to say the the church doesn’t have a strong arm in shaping state politics/policy.
Yes, but for the record, I didn't say the Church doesn't have a strong arm in shaping state politics. NDak15 did say that it was a theocracy. And most people considering a move to Utah are looking at Salt Lake City, not some small town in Southern Utah. Salt Lake City hasn't had a Republican mayor in over 40 years, and its current mayor is a non-LDS lesbian, who is married to her partner (they have two children). If you or anybody else can explain how this came to be in a city ruled by the LDS Church, I'm all ears.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kansas, Wisconsin, Alabama are, imo, the top 5 in no particular order.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's not bigotry, nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Let me rephrase and say close to a theocracy. Because as you put it, the church is very much a factor in politics and policy and you'd have to be blind not to notice.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Just because they voted D for president since 2008 doesn't mean Colorado is as liberal as you think it is. Socially liberal, yes(tho many of today's Republicans are pro-medical weed), but not the total package like California. From a state level outside of the gov executive positions are held by Rs, 1 of the US Senators is an R and the State Senate is controlled by R's. Just stay away from Denver, Boulder and Pueblo unless your visiting or have to work there.

Why not consider Arizona? Flagstaff has skiing and hiking and isn't as crazy hot as Phoenix.

PA is also a choice. The farther away you are from Harrisburg, Penn State and the 2 big cities the better. It's a moderate state but the economy is not as good as it can be. Better than Jersey and NY as far as job opportunites but not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.