Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest state to regionally classify?
Missouri 33 15.00%
West Virginia 67 30.45%
Virginia 15 6.82%
Maryland 23 10.45%
Pennsylvania 9 4.09%
Oklahoma 52 23.64%
New York 5 2.27%
Kentucky 14 6.36%
Deleware 11 5.00%
Texas 70 31.82%
Ohio 10 4.55%
Other (specify) 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No you are factually wrong. The official Census definition of those states as the South. So complain and give your “hell-to-the-naw” to the Federal Government! And to Wikipedia!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...us_divreg.html

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
The census also considers North Africans white. The census is not infallible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Louisiana is probably the most culturally unique place in the lower 48.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
For me, it's Texas. It's not the south, not the west...it's it's own category in my mind.
South Central seems appropriate.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
No you are factually wrong. The official Census definition of those states as the South. So complain and give your “hell-to-the-naw” to the Federal Government! And to Wikipedia!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...us_divreg.html

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
Just because the U.S census says so doesn't make it factually correct. That's only one opinion. People who lived in some of those states also deserve an opinion on this matter.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Maryland is just like New Jersey (I grew up in NJ). Maryland is crowded, has a lot of traffic, very populated most places you go around the state, has ghetto cities like most of NJ's cities, etc. The only difference is the people seem nicer there, the parks are more scenic (especially due to the Chesapeake Bay), and the food scenery is better.
The "similarities" you list for MD and NJ are extremely superficial. The only real "ghetto" city in Maryland that has any sort of resemblance to a NJ city is Baltimore which is sort of like MD's version of Newark and even then, there are several notable differences between the two cities and certainly many more between both states as a whole.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:19 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
At the turn of the 20th century, Missouri was widely considered Southern (former slave state, very deep Union/Confederacy split, Jim Crow laws were observed, etc.)

In 1904, the state voted Republican in the presidential election (which was a break from the usual Democratic stronghold) and since then, has grown to be viewed as more Midwestern than Southern. The southern 1/4th of the state or so is undeniably Southern, but doesn't make the state Southern as a whole.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Oklahoma. It could and has been described as Midwest, southern, and even western. I think the first two apply but western only west of okc.
Midwesterners do NOT call Oklahoma midwest. Because it isn't.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Midwesterners do NOT call Oklahoma midwest. Because it isn't.
Yeah this is actually the first time I’ve heard that OK is even considered midwestern by some. It’s certainly not considered midwestern by people who live in the Great Lakes region of the Midwest.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:43 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Black people from St Louis are southern. The works of Mark Twain are Southern. Branson is a Mecca of Southern culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Because it was a border state during the civil war. Some people consider border states to be fully southern. I still think of it as being more mid-western than southern, but not everyone agrees with that hence why it's on this list.
Missouri is hard to pigeonhole into a region. The great migration brought a lot of southern black people to St. Louis but there was once a long-term black population centered in St. Louis that was not from the deep south. Twain wrote a couple books while living back east that reflect the south of 170 years ago, especially the culture along the Mississippi River. He spent very little time in Missouri after about age 22 but lived and worked mostly out west and in New York and Connecticut. Branson is an odd mix of Country Music and an inflated Ozark backwoods caricature that appeals to some Texans and Midwesterners. I've never seen many Southerners flocking to Branson.

Essentially, Border States like Missouri (in the context of the Civil War) meant a slave state that bordered free states and opted to remain in the Union. Missouri voted for Stephen Douglas in the 1860 presidential election, the only state that did, and John Bell, the Constitutional Unionist candidate, came in second. (Bell was favored in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia.) So, even in the 1860s, the state was not likely to conform to regional expectations...I guess we're a breed of nonconformists (for good or ill).

Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Yeah this is actually the first time I’ve heard that OK is even considered midwestern by some. It’s certainly not considered midwestern by people who live in the Great Lakes region of the Midwest.
This board is the first place that I’ve heard it called anything else. It’s a great plains state, and I believe most Americans consider the great plains to be the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.