Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 AM

467 posts, read 427,971 times

Advertisements

Note: this is not necessarily the same thing as which states you think of as "most Southern," as in most "Deep South" (which I think is a false equivalency). For instance, I personally think Louisiana is, as a whole, more "Deep South" than Tennessee, but for some reason, Tennessee comes to my mind when I think of "the South" before Louisiana, probably due to Tennessee's outsized contributions to music and popular culture (blues, rock n' roll, country), as well as its two large cities, Memphis and Nashville, that are responsible for said contributions, among other things.

In another manner, I think Arkansas has perhaps less "non-Southern" influences than a state like Virginia today, but Virginia comes to my mind before Arkansas when I think of the South. Virginia, after all, is the original Southern state, and bears the historical image of being an aristocratic, plantation-dominated state and home to the Confederate capital of Richmond. Lastly, Georgia, while heavily linked to cosmopolitan Atlanta due to the latter's cultural and economic preeminence, still conjures up strong images of the South for me, probably due to cultural artifacts such as Gone with the Wind, among other relics ingrained into the American psyche of what defines the South. Just the name "Georgia" sounds so damn Southern to me (same with "Alabama") lol, especially when pronounced like "Jawjah."

Other criteria, such as the dominant locations or concentrations of historical and political events (such as the Civil Rights Movement), also significantly influence which states I immediately think of when I think of the South. In this light, Alabama and Georgia once again come out as forerunners.

Anyways, for me, I'd have to roughly say Alabama and Georgia, followed closely by Tennessee, Mississippi, and South Carolina, then Virginia, and then the remaining Southern states. Feel free to list them in a more defined order and include all the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Carolinas.

States that don’t come to mind very quickly are Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Florida and Mississippi.

Growing up in Ohio, the Upper South States were some of the first places that felt different to me when we travelled to Florida as a family. I remember noticing the differences between Ohio pretty quickly after leaving the State. I still Associate these States as Southern and they pop in my mind right away, mainly cause that’s where most of my past experiences in the South came from.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I think of the states in the former Confederacy as well as West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky as Southern. Even though it's in the region, Florida does not seem Southern to me.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:55 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think of the states in the former Confederacy as well as West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky as Southern. Even though it's in the region, Florida does not seem Southern to me.
The panhandle is arguable very southern.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:28 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Somewhat in this order:

Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
SC
Arkansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
NC
Tennessee
Florida
Texas
Mizzou
Virginia
West Virginia

Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
There is a strange obsession with defining ‘The South’ in this forum. Is that a thing in the south or just on here?

Old 08-10-2018, 04:21 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
All of them. Depends on the context of what I'm thinking about.

Thinking about the Civil War- Virginia
Peaches or Onions- Georgia
Oranges-Florida
Music- Tennessee
Tobacco- North Carolina
Cotton- Mississippi
Civil rights unrest- Alabama
Swamps- Louisiana
Hogs-Arkansas
BBQ- Texas
Hubbub about the confederate flag- South Carolina

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-10-2018 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 04:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There is a strange obsession with defining ‘The South’ in this forum. Is that a thing in the south or just on here?
It's a CD issue.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You have a strange obsession with pointing this out on every one of my threads regarding this topic, while at the same time contributing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.