Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee had them, but has banned them.
I found it amusing to see businessmen in suits riding them around.

I used to find them in some odd locations though. Places I wouldn't leave one sitting around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Pricing is .15 to .20 cents per minute. Use for 15 minutes? Maybe in the right situation. At $9-12 per hour, I wouldn't use for more than a few minutes.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
When Bird and Lime launched in Indy, they were everywhere downtown. Sidewalks, bike lanes, middle of traffic, the trails, everywhere. Indy banned them, but with new regulations, are letting them back.

They look fun, but I get the concerns about safety. There are already enough entitled a-holes blocking trails around Indy, placing them same people onto scooters or getting knocked over by said scooters seems dangerous.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM

422 posts, read 396,617 times
Saw them in Atlanta this past weekend, crazy phenomenon everyone was on them young or old.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:32 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Like America isn’t fat and lazy enough already. I have a crazy idea, let’s give everyone motorized scooters to accomplish what walking, or riding a bike if you had to go a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, would do. Due to safety concerns let’s just skip to the end game, and place Rascals all over town.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:40 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
I think that it is a wonderful application of a toy technology. It is faster than a world class marathon racer and leaves a smaller footprint and less storage space than a bicycle. And because less human power is used when you get to your destination you are less likely to offend the olfactory senses of those around you.

The drawbacks are they are not reliably available so you don't know if you need the time to walk/wait for a bus or move at a faster than a marathon champion's speed. And with cities moving to place political and not economic limits on the scooters in any location. So if you live in one of those cities you can never depend on a scooter being available.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Like America isn’t fat and lazy enough already. I have a crazy idea, let’s give everyone motorized scooters to accomplish what walking, or riding a bike if you had to go a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, would do. Due to safety concerns let’s just skip to the end game, and place Rascals all over town.
If people aren't walking now they're not going to if a scooter isn't around. Personally, I walk to the bus after work which is about six blocks. More than once I've seen it drive by while I was a block away. If I knew I was cutting it close and I could pick up a scooter right outside my office door I might take it to the bus stop but it wouldn't be a daily thing. I ride my bike to work most of the time anyway.

If using a scooter replaces walking or biking it's not doing anyone including the planet any favors. If it's replacing short car trips it's good for everyone.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
I used them while visiting Portland this past weekend and thought they were great. We took them on longer trips across the city where we would have typically called for a Lyft. We still managed to walk 7 miles on the days we used them.

Denver needs to work on legislation because they are currently only legal on the sidewalk, which makes zero sense. They should be used in bike lanes.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I used them while visiting Portland this past weekend and thought they were great. We took them on longer trips across the city where we would have typically called for a Lyft. We still managed to walk 7 miles on the days we used them.

Denver needs to work on legislation because they are currently only legal on the sidewalk, which makes zero sense. They should be used in bike lanes.
They tell you to go on bike lanes and they are pretty explicit in telling you not to take them on 16th street or the University campus. It's all crossed out in big red lines on the Bird app.

I don't think safety is the #1 issue for success though. People will get hurt, but they also signed a waiver. I think the biggest thing will be cost of recharge and replacing their location every morning along with developing a committed user base that will ride them for practical purposes when the hype is gone.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
I've seen these scooters around parts of Southern California and they look really handy if your trying to get around more quickly and conveniently,especially if your in an area with lots of vehicle traffic....I think it's a cool idea for those who don't drive,don't have a bike,don't want to take the taxi,uber,lyft,the bus or just too tired to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.