Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM

31 posts, read 23,194 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am looking for any suggestions for an affordable mid size metro area that is great for fitness buffs/nature lovers. We are more into urban fitness (bike paths and nature preserves) rather than overnight extreme backpack hiking, and thus, are looking for an area where we can enjoy both city and nature amenities within the metro as opposed to simply outdoor recreational activities. My husband and I are currently living in the Phoenix area and we are looking for an escape from the intense heat (it's still well over 100) and also a change of scenery.

We work from home and our budget is around 1500-2000 a month for a 2 bedroom. We don't mind living up to 45 minutes or so from a metro area as we will not be commuting for a job. We were looking at Austin (which we visited and liked although this was 4 years ago before it became super crowded), Nashville, and Greenville. However, it seems as though all 3 of these areas are super hot in the fall, still in the 80's and 90's. After living in Southern Arizona, we would at least like to see temps in the 60's-70's on average.

-Looking for an affordable mid size metro area

-Lots of greenery, parks, biking paths (we love biking on the weekends), small nature preserves and state parks (tired of the long desert tiresome desert hiking in the heat). We do not need major hiking trails, more interested in smaller preserves with 2-6 mile long hikes)

-Safe and clean

-Lots of independent coffee shops. We love trying out new coffee shops on the weekends.

-A variety of local restaurants, local bakeries

-A fitness and health conscious area. Lots of healthy restaurants, farmers markets, 5ks and half marathons, etc. Would also prefer to be around less smokers.

-Nice fall foliage would be a bonus, however, we are really most looking forward to temps under 95 degrees in the fall.

-A nice airport would be a bonus as we fly frequently. Quality road trips nearby would also be a bonus as we enjoy frequent weekend trips.

-Zoos, unique museums, botanical gardens, unique city attractions, local events. Really any type of culture as opposed to a gigantic suburb area like Phoenix would be a plus.

We only have 2 weeks to decide on a new move - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Check out Richmond VA as I think it hits pretty much all of your criteria.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
Would also prefer to be around less smokers.
I lived in Phoenix for two years and do not recall many smokers at all. In fact, as a state, Arizona has one of the lowest rates of cigarette smoking in the country. Just about any other state, aside from California and Utah, will have more cigarette smokers than Arizona.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking for any suggestions for an affordable mid size metro area that is great for fitness buffs/nature lovers. We are more into urban fitness (bike paths and nature preserves) rather than overnight extreme backpack hiking, and thus, are looking for an area where we can enjoy both city and nature amenities within the metro as opposed to simply outdoor recreational activities. My husband and I are currently living in the Phoenix area and we are looking for an escape from the intense heat (it's still well over 100) and also a change of scenery.

We work from home and our budget is around 1500-2000 a month for a 2 bedroom. We don't mind living up to 45 minutes or so from a metro area as we will not be commuting for a job. We were looking at Austin (which we visited and liked although this was 4 years ago before it became super crowded), Nashville, and Greenville. However, it seems as though all 3 of these areas are super hot in the fall, still in the 80's and 90's. After living in Southern Arizona, we would at least like to see temps in the 60's-70's on average.

-Looking for an affordable mid size metro area

-Lots of greenery, parks, biking paths (we love biking on the weekends), small nature preserves and state parks (tired of the long desert tiresome desert hiking in the heat). We do not need major hiking trails, more interested in smaller preserves with 2-6 mile long hikes)

-Safe and clean

-Lots of independent coffee shops. We love trying out new coffee shops on the weekends.

-A variety of local restaurants, local bakeries

-A fitness and health conscious area. Lots of healthy restaurants, farmers markets, 5ks and half marathons, etc. Would also prefer to be around less smokers.

-Nice fall foliage would be a bonus, however, we are really most looking forward to temps under 95 degrees in the fall.

-A nice airport would be a bonus as we fly frequently. Quality road trips nearby would also be a bonus as we enjoy frequent weekend trips.

-Zoos, unique museums, botanical gardens, unique city attractions, local events. Really any type of culture as opposed to a gigantic suburb area like Phoenix would be a plus.

We only have 2 weeks to decide on a new move - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Austins average highs are under 95 in the fall.However i think it may be too hot for you.Austin does not have a super big airport i dont think.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Boise.

If that isn't green or mild enough, Medford OR.

Or Fort Collins or Colorado Springs CO.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-14-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Take a look at Asheville NC. I can't swear to how easy it is to bike there because the region is relatively hilly. But it meets all you other criteria easy--good food and drink, an hour from Charlotte for the airport, arts-oriented, liberal to counter-cultural vibe and health-conscious populace, moderate four seasons and moderate rent, a lively downtown, and nature, forests, lakes, and trails all around. The usual knock against Asheville is that there are few good-paying jobs there (it's got a big tourist economy), but that doesn't apply, obviously, if you work from home. So check it out.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Don't pick the southeast if you dislike humid heat in summer or have never experienced enough to know how you handle it.

2 weeks? Rushing a move can backfire.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Don't pick the southeast if you dislike humid heat in summer or have never experienced enough to know how you handle it.

2 weeks? Rushing a move can backfire.
The advantage of the Great Smokies, where Asheville is, is that the elevation really cuts down on the summer humidity you'd find in the Piedmont or closer to the Atlantic in North Carolina. It can get sticky, but definitely not New Orleans or Florida sticky. And yes, only two weeks to decide where to move does make one wonder.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Richmond VA as I think it hits pretty much all of your criteria.
Thanks - I'll add it to my list

Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I lived in Phoenix for two years and do not recall many smokers at all. In fact, as a state, Arizona has one of the lowest rates of cigarette smoking in the country. Just about any other state, aside from California and Utah, will have more cigarette smokers than Arizona.
I agree - Phoenix is good in some ways for the health conscious vibe - I always see a lot of cyclists and hikers out, have found a lot of restaurants which focus on using local ingredients, and really do not see too many smokers around. However, it's just too hot to enjoy the trails the majority of the year - still 110! Too hot for too long means the trails are inaccessible most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.