Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Why is it hilarious?

Miami's CSA is determined by the same commuter patterns as any.

Its very common for people to take weekend trips all the way from Vero/Port St Lucie/West Palm, down to the keys. These people have money and they spend a lot of money to live the life of being able to take weekend trips to paradise. Some drive down every single weekend.

Likewise, the residents in Key West, Marathon and Islamorada travel up and into the Miami area for many reasons.

Usually things that are funny are considered 'Hilarious', . . .not facts.
LOL. It's very common for people in DC to take weekend trips to Ocean City, Maryland or even Virginia Beach. Should they now be added to the DC and Baltimore CSA now, too? Heck Ocean City is even closer to DC than Key West is to Miami. My family moved from Miami to Port St Lucie. I laugh at the notion that PSL could be looked at as the same metro as Miami to begin with. But now you add a city, that's THREE HOURS from Miami and nearly SIX hours from the other side of the CSA and say these are now one. That's hilarious. Nobody in Vero Beach would turn around and say hey, we're in Miami. Vero Beach is closer to Orlando than it is to Miami and development is not continuous between West Palm Beach and Port St Lucie let alone PSL and Vero Beach.

I would bet not that many people travel between Key West to Miami on a daily basis like that. At least not the 15% threshold . Perhaps Key Largo, but not Key West. That's three hours going to Miami and three hours back.

The fact that Key West and Vero Beach are looked at as the CSA is still funny which is hilarious. Facts (even though I question that) or not. But you can get in your feelings more if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
KeyWest is 3 hours from Miami. Sorry the CSA is a very stupid metric if you are thinking these are population areas that have significant interaction.

Urban area is my favorite metric for day to day interactions.
I'd put it like this. None of them are perfect at all but the metrics that make the most sense to me in order are UA, MSA, than CSA. I echo what KidPhilly said earlier. When I'm in Chicago, I feel like I am in a metro of around 10 million. When I'm in DC, I feel like I'm in a metro of 6.5 million. DC does not feel as big as Chicago.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Take the time to read through the thread where that has been covered. The basic argument is that the commuting threshold for CSAs (15%) is so low until it results in very large regions where much of the outer areas have little to no connection to the core of the region, essentially rendering the concept meaningless in many cases.
Exactly. Perfectly put.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'd put it like this. None of them are perfect at all but the metrics that make the most sense to me in order are UA, MSA, than CSA. I echo what KidPhilly said earlier. When I'm in Chicago, I feel like I am in a metro of around 10 million. When I'm in DC, I feel like I'm in a metro of 6.5 million. DC does not feel as big as Chicago.
I agree.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
'Bloating' would infer an unfair advantage.

How can it be 'bloating' if the same standard/criteria is used across the board. You never answered that.
Because it’s core county to core county.

So Providence’s Core County is Providence County, RI. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy is Suffolk, Middlesex, Norfolk.

So that means Pawtucket to Attleboro or East Providence to Braintree it Foxboro to Providence commuters make Westerly, RI or Salem, MA in counties with almost no interaction with each other (or the core counties of the other MSA)in the same CSA. It’s crazy.

Same thing to the West; Putnam C.T. is in the Boston CSA because of Metro West cross commuters (eg Framingham to Southboro) going from Worcester to Middlesex or vice versa.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
I've literally echoed the same exact words a year ago. To me, Chicago or Toronto feel about the same size

DC, Atlanta, Miami, Philly all feel around the same size. There are different tiers.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 PM

324 posts, read 402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
KeyWest is 3 hours from Miami. Sorry the CSA is a very stupid metric if you are thinking these are population areas that have significant interaction.
Urban area is my favorite metric for day to day interactions.
But Key Largo, the northernmost city in Monroe County on US 1, is only 67 miles from Downtown Miami. The problem with CSAs AND MSAs is that they’re defined by county lines, and Monroe County is over 3000 sq miles with Key West located 170 miles from Miami. You act as if the Monroe County line is 3 hours from Miami. What’s ironic is that West Palm Beach (two counties away) is about the same distance from Downtown Miami as Key Largo (adjacent county) is, yet hardly no one questions whether or not WPB should be part of Miami’s MSA!! But you and others get all worked up over a county adjacent to Miami-Dade, 67 miles from Miami, becoming part of Miami’s CSA!! Unbelievable but not surprising!!

Last edited by pontiac51; 09-17-2018 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
'Bloating' would infer an unfair advantage.

How can it be 'bloating' if the same standard/criteria is used across the board. You never answered that.
Yes I did answer it. The criteria itself, which includes what I call low-threshold chain commuting, results in bloating because it results in very far flung counties that have little to no relationship with the metropolitan core being included. It's pretty ridiculous, for example, that a county that borders SC is now included in the Atlanta CSA. The criteria needs to be revised.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Explain to me what the feeling of being in a 6.5 million metro is like? I'd like to understand this exact feeling, did you get a little tingling in your toes??

Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Explain to me what the feeling of being in a 6.5 million metro is like? I'd like to understand this exact feeling, did you get a little tingling in your toes??
A metro of a certain size and have a different feel smaller metros. The DC area feels larger than the Baltimore area. Baltimore feels like it's about the size of Pittsburgh, Charlotte..etc. DC feels like it's about the size of Philly, Miami, Atlanta. Chicago feels distinctly larger than the cities previously mentioned; NYC feels like a larger city than Chicago. I assume LA would feel larger than Chicago as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.