Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times

Advertisements

Which state's residents have visited other U.S. regions the least?

For example, a resident of Colorado may have been out of state plenty of times, but each time it is to go abroad to Europe and Asia or to a bordering state with similar climate and scenery (Utah, Wyoming, other Mountain West states). They have never been to the Great Lakes area, or the Southeast, or the Northeast.

I imagine for geographically large states, there would be more people who have never traveled to other U.S. regions the most. California, Texas, Florida, Montana, New Mexico, etc. Yes, they may have been to adjacent states, but only to parts of adjacent states that are similar to their home states (i.e. a person from Albuquerque may have been to Texas but only to El Paso, which is culturally more like New Mexico than it is like most of Texas.)

Are there any smaller states (maybe Vermont?) where people may travel to foreign countries but not to different regions of the country? Any states where you will meet people who have never even been to adjacent states, never been out of state at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 02:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

For example, a resident of Colorado may have been out of state plenty of times, but each time it is to go abroad to Europe and Asia or to a bordering state with similar climate and scenery (Utah, Wyoming, other Mountain West states). They have never been to the Great Lakes area, or the Southeast, or the Northeast.

I imagine for geographically large states, there would be more people who have never traveled to other U.S. regions the most. California, Texas, Florida, Montana, New Mexico, etc. Yes, they may have been to adjacent states, but only to parts of adjacent states that are similar to their home states (i.e. a person from Albuquerque may have been to Texas but only to El Paso, which is culturally more like New Mexico than it is like most of Texas.)

Are there any smaller states (maybe Vermont?) where people may travel to foreign countries but not to different regions of the country? Any states where you will meet people who have never even been to adjacent states, never been out of state at all?
You seem to fail to consider the fact that mant residents of CO, CA, TX, FL, etc. are originally from other parts of the country. It would be next to impossible to determine how many natives of those states have not visited other regions of the country. Overall I think your premise doesn't seem to hold much water anyway and although those folks may not visit other regions of the country frequently, I think many have done so at least once or twice in their lifetimes.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
I think the best proxy for this question is to look at the place of birth of a state's residents. There is census data that breaks this down by the population born in the same state vs. each of the major US regions vs. other countries. Louisiana as a whole has one of the smallest shares of residents born outside the state and is not very close to anywhere outside the South, so it could be a potential candidate. But I don't think there is any truly viable way to measure this.

My guess is Vermont is not a good example since it has a relatively educated population and a lot of domestic transplants - and with the harsh winters plenty of people have a strong interest in getaways. There is no shortage of vehicles with plates from every Northeast state in Florida during the cold season.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
In your home state, have you met people who have never been outside the state?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Funny you mention Colorado first. Only ~43% of Colorado residents were born in CO, and that includes kids who were born here to non-Colorado native parents. The three states that have supplied the most residents are California (6%), Texas (3.3%) and Illinois (2.9%). The only other state supplying more than 2% is New York, with 2.3%. So yeah, many people go "home" to visit. When Coloradans take a vacation other than to visit relatives, a lot go to Hawaii and Mexico.
https://denverite.com/2016/11/30/col...nt-population/

Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
In your home state, have you met people who have never been outside the state?
My friend had not been out of Texas when I met him.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Having lived in the western US most of my life (Colorado/Arizona), I've never stepped foot in Georgia, Carolinas, Louisiana, some of the Northeast such as Vermont, New York, Rhode Island, Delaware and North Dakota. I have no interest in those parts of the US, the people or the culture.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:14 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
I would say North Eastern, and midwestern states basically states that haven't had huge population growth within recent decades. Most sunbelt states by virtue of growing populations have many millions of people from entirely separate regions.

In the coming decades definitely the large sunbelt states will replace those other states as they have in most things.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:55 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Being from Arizona I have never really gone north or northeast. I’ve been to Durango, CO and the Utah border (as far as due north, not much further), and in the continental US I’ve never been further northwest than Lake Tahoe. I’ve been to Alaska and Hawaii. I have visited NYC/Long Island and DC/Baltimore, and Miami, but that’s all I’ve seen of the east coast. I’ve been to all the gulf states, and I’ve never been to the Midwest/Great Plains. I haven’t been in the Atlantic south or inland south (Tennessee, Carolinas). My family is very anti-cold weather so even though I would’ve loved to visit Idaho, “but it’s so cold there!” was an immediate rejection. Especially for the northeast like Vermont.

I am not as well traveled as some other Arizonans I know in the country, but I would say I’m one of the more well traveled. Arizona and New Mexico are basically the same size, with that being said I’ve been to basically every single town in Arizona, and I’ve been to all of Southern California and a bunch of the interior (via Lake Tahoe). Same goes for western Nevada (Vegas to Reno). Arizona is about the same size as New England. Maybe a wee bit bigger even.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I would say North Eastern, and midwestern states basically states that haven't had huge population growth within recent decades. Most sunbelt states by virtue of growing populations have many millions of people from entirely separate regions.

In the coming decades definitely the large sunbelt states will replace those other states as they have in most things.
This is a very good point. I would also add poorer states/regions.

Anyone that was in the OP last thread about “trends in posting” knows he fishing for anti California responses. Just like he does in every other thread or post

He must of closed the thread after not getting the responses he wanted so I couldn’t quote him. I had to copy and paste what he said

5. Out of all the states, people from California are the least likely to have traveled (extensively) outside the state, to other regions of the U.S. I've met people who have never even been outside of California. Those who have often have never been East of the Rockies. Even Texans travel more outside their state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.