Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

One of the (by far) most important data we could use on this forum is one I never, ever have seen listed.....and one that could be compiled by any of us with a calculator and an hour or two of our time.

Or is this really THE most important data we could use on C/D???

What is it?

The core city of a given metro area listed as that city's percentage of greater metro statistical area's population.

It's simple math, giving us....

San Francisco (864,816/8,751,807) ≈ .09 ≈ 9%

Chicago (2,720,546/9,882,634) ≈ .28 ≈ 28%

Houston (2,296,224/6,972,374) ≈ .33 ≈ 33%

San Francisco's power comes more from its metro population than that of the city.....and its SF/Bay Area population well exceeding Houston's metro population, that is part of any "edge" that SF has over Houston.

And if we look at metro area population, let's say in Texas, we see that Houston comes in second place in its own state, behind the D/Fw Metroplex.

etc.

so........was I right that said data list is not listed anywhere? And, if so, why don't we take those 1-2 hours and that calculator and crunch the numbers here so we would have a tool very much worth using.

City population in and of itself is not a very meaningful static as it is metro area that counts. The type of data I suggest can highlight such information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
I like the idea of a tool, but I don't know if that stat is as useful as you think, especially for comparing cities/metros. Both metro areas and cities come in all sizes and configurations. Some cities contain significant rural areas due to aggressive annexation (e.g., Jacksonville, Houston, Indianapolis), as do some huge counties which are part of metro areas (e.g., Riverside County, CA and St. Louis County, MN) Some metros are isolated, others abut other metros. Other cities have tiny footprints (e.g., Atlanta, Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford).

I wonder if there is a way of factoring in land area and population when looking at cities and metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.