Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 05:05 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
There are plenty of northerners who retire to Mississippi.

Most southern states seem to be enjoying some degree of popularity at the moment, but Mississippi seems to be stereotyped and overlooked more than the others.
Hence why i said the Sipp ( with honorable nod to Arkansas & West VA).If your state don't have a large city or cities that outshines the state than it's a blank stare to people ( especially West & East Coast America/ Da Coasters). Now stats based on industries & occupations is still a factor of course but majority people still think the Sipp have the smallest economy in this country ( smh).

There's plentiful livable areas here but a typical citydata posters can't live without high compact urban density, Singaporean style transit system, & superficial diversity. ( shrugs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 06:22 AM

136 posts, read 116,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Totally agree. I read the responses and think people are reading the question in different ways. But Nashville alone makes Tennessee not underrated I'd say. Plus Tennessee holds a significant place in our national cultural psyche what with country music, Memphis blues, Elvis, and the Great Smokies.
Yep, I think many posters are reading this as “what’s your favorite southern state.” I mean, North Carolina is currently 4th in this poll. North Carolina! People rave about NC (for good reason) and it’s population has been booming for years. I think you have to remove FL, GA, NC, and TX off the bat. Just because someplace in those states may be underrated doesn’t mean that’s true of the state as a whole.

It’s gotta be someplace like Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana (maybe), South Carolina, Kentucky, or West Virginia (if the last two are considered southern). I was a homer and voted for Alabama.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,022 times
I would say Alabama as well for underrated. It is not without its struggles but it does contain some pretty nice areas. Huntsville, AL is a growing small city that has one of the highest populations of residents with Masters and Ph.D degrees (take that southern stereotypes). Birmingham is starting to get some positive momentum and has a lot of potential plus the Gulf Shores area is the classic beach vacation. Add to that better than expected scernary in the northern and eastern 1/3rds of the state and then you realize that Alabama with all of its faults is not as bad as the media portrays it to be.

Kentucky my home state would be a close second. If it wasn't for the drama surrounding recent events would probably be my pick for most underrated state as KY has some really nice scenery and charming areas. Red River Gorge, Mammoth Cave, Land Between the Lakes, Cumberland Falls, etc. all nice. Overall friendly people although the strain of 2020 especially politically is starting to take its toll on some people's friendiness which is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.