Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM

65 posts, read 67,542 times

Advertisements

What states are Mid Atlantic. Seems clear enough to me that the core is MD, PA, NJ and DE, and occasionally NY and VA. But there is some debate on this. So I did a quick search for the term "Mid Atlantic" and here are the first three results that pop up:

Mid Atlantic Realty - Maryland

Mid Atlantic Federal Credit union - Maryland

Mid Atlantic Seafood - Maryland

AAA Mid Atlantic - Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, DC, NOVA

Middle Atlantic Products - New Jersey

Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation - Maryland

Mid Atlantic Travel Guide - New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware

Mid Atlantic Regional Ocean Council - New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Mid Atlantic Burn Camp - Maryland

Crossfit Mid Atlantic - Doesn't say what states

Mid Atlantic congress - Maryland

Mid Atlantic ADA Center - Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware West Virginia, Virginia

Mid Atlantic Biotech - doesn't say what states

MAAC - Maryland

BOEM Mid Atlantic - doesn't say what states

Mid atlantic Health care - Maryland

Mid -atlantic region Irish dancing - doesn't say what states

REL Mid Atlantic - New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, DC

Mid Atlantic Fishery Management - New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina

CoreNetGlobal Mid Atlantic - doesn't say what states

NOAA Mid Atlantic - doesn't say what states

ENR Mid Atlantic - New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania

Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival - Pennsyvlania

SER Mid Atlantic Chapter - New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, DC, Virginia, West Virginia

EarthShare Mid Atlantic - Maryland

Radford Mid Atlantic - Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina

Angel Flights Mid Atlantic - doesn't say what states

These were the most mentioned states:

Maryland: 18 hits

New Jersey: 10 hits

Delaware: 10 hits

Pennsylvania: 8 hits

The results are similar to this poll:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-atlantic.html

Here are the three pages of random google search I used: https://www.google.com/search?q=mid+...UQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=mid+...antic&start=10

https://www.google.com/search?q=mid+...antic&start=20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 AM

111 posts, read 143,469 times
Mid Atlantic: New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

New England: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.

Southeastern: Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana.

Southwestern: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona.

Pacific: California, Washington, Oregon. Hawaii, Alaska.

Mid-West: Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Michigan, Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa.

Rocky Mountains: Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado

Source: US Geography, Encyclopedia

Last edited by tcm1913; 04-03-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: error

Old 04-03-2015, 02:30 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
Mid Atlantic: New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

New England: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.

Southeastern: Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana.

Southwestern: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona.

Pacific: California, Washington, Oregon. Hawaii, Alaska.

Mid-West: Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Michigan, Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa.

Rocky Mountains: Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado

Source: US Geography, Encyclopedia
Interesting.

I think that is about right but I would still clump little old DE with NJ,PA,NY

Old 04-03-2015, 02:43 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
Much like Great Lakes, Gulf Coast, and Rocky Mountains, the Mid-Atlantic shouldn't be determined by state lines.

Essentially, if wouldn't consider Long Island as part of the Great Lakes Region, why would Buffalo be part of the Mid-Atlantic?

This is my definition of the region:
New Jersey
Delaware
DC
Eastern and Central Maryland
Eastern Virginia
Long Island
New York City
Westchester County
the Philadelphia metro area

Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
To end this once and for all.
Attached Thumbnails
Which States are Mid Atlantic?-map-northeast.png  

Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
To end this once and for all.
Why does Downstate New York fit more with Maryland/DC than with Upstate or New England?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Why does Downstate New York fit more with Maryland/DC than with Upstate or New England?
Because downstate NY is the NYC metro area, of which half of NJ is made up of. Same with extreme SW CT. IMO the map makes sense. Many will argue that only downstate NY is Mid-Atlantic.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Because downstate NY is the NYC metro area, of which half of NJ is made up of. Same with extreme SW CT. IMO the map makes sense. Many will argue that only downstate NY is Mid-Atlantic.
Right...I see that Downstate is along the Atlantic but Upstate isn't. But I still don't see how it's more similar to Maryland/DC than it is to New England or Upstate in a cultural sense.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Right...I see that Downstate is along the Atlantic but Upstate isn't. But I still don't see how it's more similar to Maryland/DC than it is to New England or Upstate in a cultural sense.
I don't perceive it as cultural, I think it just makes sense when looking at a map. "Mid-Atlantic" culture is hard to pinpoint, since it's such a contested, largely unofficial region or subregion anyway. I think that Mid-Atlantic is more geographical than cultural - it is literally the middle of the Atlantic states. Half the Mid-Atlantic states today used to be called the "Middle Colonies."

Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
I'm not sure why so people are adamant on cutting Richmond and Norfolk out of the Mid-Atlantic. It's like they can't deal with the fact that Norfolk could possibly be a part of the same region as New York City so they ignore all evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Located in the metro area called Hampton Roads, Norfolk is home to the Norfolk U.S. Naval Base, the largest in the world....Tower Point Park, a waterfront park located downtown, is a green oasis for cultural events, concerts and recreation. The Virginia State Symphony, Opera and Stage Company adds even more to the level and culture of and history this Mid-Atlantic city has to offer.
Norfolk Virginia Map - Norfolk Attractions Map, Virginia Cities, Spirit of Norfolk - Worldatlas.com

One would think a 132 year old map would seal the deal as well.

Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.