Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Current city: DC
  1. White House
  2. Lincoln Memorial
  3. Museums
  4. Capital Hill
  5. Amazon
  6. African Americans
  7. Howard
  8. Georgetown
  9. Congress
  10. lobbying/K Street
Those are what they would know, I think it is interesting to see what the avg person would not know, there's a number of interesting things people would learn.

1. DC is one of if not the fittest city in America
2. Very much a bicycling captiol of America
3. The home of "Black Broadway"
4. Hot bed for black comedians
5. DC has created two music genres yet will never receive proper recognition (Emo punk rock, and Go-Go)
6. DC had a (small) but existent Italian immigrant population in the late 1800's
7. The "7th inning stretch" began and first took place in Washington DC
8. The first telegraphic message was sent from Washington DC to Baltimore
9. The Half Smoke or Ben's Chili Bowl both unique to DC
10. The Internet was first tested and confirmed to work at DARPA in the DC suburb of Arlington

Last edited by the resident09; 01-14-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't expect the average outsider to know much, if anything, about Tyler, TX but just in case - here is what we're most famous for, in no particular order:

1. The Rose Capitol of the World
2. Great Tex Mex food - Taqueria El Lugar, home of the famous #7!
3. A church on every corner, including a Roman Catholic diocese and cathedral
4. The western edge of the South
5. Hot summers, mild winters
6. Crepe myrtles, roses, and azaleas are everywhere
7. The international "Adopt a Highway" program started here - wooohoooo!
8. Sandy Duncan was born and raised here.
9. David Koresh is buried here.
10. The space shuttle Columbia exploded over Tyler and many pieces of it, including human remains, were found here.

I know you meant well trying to educate us, but this is too much information (TMI) just prior to lunch. I guess I will stick to something vegetarian now.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:19 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I've never been to Albuquerque and know very little about it but I think this list is the epitome of what this thread is all about. Aside from The Pit (don't know what that is) I would list all of these things for Albuquerque based of my very limited knowledge.
Ethel Mertz was from Albuquerque. Now there's a claim to fame.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
[/b]

I know you meant well trying to educate us, but this is too much information (TMI) just prior to lunch. I guess I will stick to something vegetarian now.
Have at it! Sorry, but it's just the truth.

But I'm one of those people who can discuss a surgical removal of a cyst over a big ol' hamburger so there's that.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Dallas:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. "Dallas" the TV Show
3. Big Hair
4. Shopping
5. Mexican food (Tex-Mex) & Margaritas
6. Oilmen
7. Football (any level)
8. J. F. Kennedy assassination
9. Hot summers
10. Everything is big / spread out /vast

Bonus: 11. No scenery, but everyone wants to live here.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Have at it! Sorry, but it's just the truth.

But I'm one of those people who can discuss a surgical removal of a cyst over a big ol' hamburger so there's that.
Haha. There are 2 types of people in this world. I personally found that to be one of the most interesting facts of this thread!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I've never been to Albuquerque and know very little about it but I think this list is the epitome of what this thread is all about. Aside from The Pit (don't know what that is) I would list all of these things for Albuquerque based of my very limited knowledge.
Thanks! The Pit is the UNM basketball arena. It's famous for its design and intimidating atmosphere for visiting teams that has led to an 80 percent home winning percentage and lots of upsets over the years. The most recent was earlier this year when the sixth-ranked, undefeated Nevada WolfPack was defeated by the New Mexico Lobos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pit_(arena)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Ethel Mertz was from Albuquerque. Now there's a claim to fame.
Vivian Vance really was from Albuquerque, she got her start in acting at the Albuquerque Little Theater.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Thanks! The Pit is the UNM basketball arena. It's famous for its design and intimidating atmosphere for visiting teams that has led to an 80 percent home winning percentage and lots of upsets over the years. The most recent was earlier this year when the sixth-ranked, undefeated Nevada WolfPack was defeated by the New Mexico Lobos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pit_(arena)
You lost me at basketball .

Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
+++ agreed all around. I’ve heard the ATL argument before but never heard of giving hip-hop to LA... that’s a new one for me. I don’t know if most people can name every borough, but I’d think people would at least know Brooklyn, and maybe heard of Queens/The Bronx too. Staten Island I can see people not knowing though.

Also pretty sure that people know we have more than just Jewish people too. But speaking of Chinese, there was a thread on here a while back that made me believe that a lot of people are not aware of the large Chinese population, history, and influence here, which was really surprising to me. And I expect the people on here to be more informed than the average person.

Sometimes it’s hard to know exactly what the average outsider knows about your city, but do you think that living in a different region of the country gives you a better idea of how much outsiders know? I imagine that telling people that you’re from NYC you must get some comments + questions from people sometimes which can give you a better idea of what people think/know.
I was born and raised there but don't live there at the moment (currently live in NC). Being raised in the Astoria\LIC area I was raised around multiculturalism. I grew up around Greeks, Italians, Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Jews, etc. I got to see all sides of NYC racially rather than just one or two races. I think the reason hip-hop was put in with LA because of Gangsta Rap which legacy still carries on with rappers glorifying the thug life. Chinese culture in NYC is pretty significant but they aren't as dominate sd they are in California but you'll mostly see then in Queens and of course Chinatown Manhattan.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Mobile, Al

Mardi Gras
Hank Arron
Satchel Paige
Tunneling oak tree street canopy
USS Alabama
Founded by the French
Creole heritage
Once was a Spanish colony
Humid
Tensaw - Delta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.