Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 AM

16 posts, read 18,917 times

Advertisements

Let me be more specific... many cities in the US are democrat in the urban core and republican in the suburbs. That often amounts to an average amount of republicans and democrats. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I am looking for cities where the average person in the urban core AND the suburbs is moderate. Purple mentality in nature, not by a balance of red/blue numbers.

I have been told that Phoenix is sort of like this. Maybe the Austin outskirts. Maybe some parts of the Carolinas and Florida. Give me more specifics, I really don’t know.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times
The Tampa area is like this. Then there's the Manchester area in New Hampshire.

Grand Rapids for sure although its exurbs are pretty Republican.

Kansas City and Omaha as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Though I have no facts to base this on, I've always gotten a moderate vibe from Columbus.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times
Iowa is about as purple as it gets. Des Moines would fit this mindset well, as would the above examples of KC and Omaha.

I do feel that they're more blue enclaves in red states that wash out to a general purpleness. I think Iowa is as close to purple, in a true moderate sense, as you can get.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowa is about as purple as it gets. Des Moines would fit this mindset well, as would the above examples of KC and Omaha.

I do feel that they're more blue enclaves in red states that wash out to a general purpleness. I think Iowa is as close to purple, in a true moderate sense, as you can get.
But Iowa is not a city. You may have a case for Des Moines (I don't know personally).

Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The Tampa area is like this. Then there's the Manchester area in New Hampshire.

Grand Rapids for sure although its exurbs are pretty Republican.

Kansas City and Omaha as well.
Grand Rapids and it’s inner ring burbs are pretty moderate. You are correct about the exurbs. Though I’d say the city may be concentrated a bit more far left than you might think. Still more balanced than typical cities.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
The Detroit area is pretty moderate.

That's where the term "Reagan Democrats" was coined.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The Detroit area is pretty moderate. That's where the term "Reagan Democrats" was coined.
But they weren't moderates; they were conservatives. I remember that time very well.

Moderates tend to be those who no longer are affiliated with either of the two polarized parties. Since there is no strong third party, and only the tired old blue and red metrics / graphics, there's no way to accurately show this other group. The two parties love this, to deemphasize the third/moderate group, and to maintain their polar stronghold. Sure, a mixture of blue and red next to each other gives clues, but a true three party approach (with color scheme) would show matters much clearer.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-11-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 12:16 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Though I have no facts to base this on, I've always gotten a moderate vibe from Columbus.
Franklin County is extremely Democratic. The suburbs are very Republican. The only area that's moderate is Delaware County, but that's still red leaning.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
But they weren't moderates; they were conservatives.
I disagree.

Macomb County, MI for example has voted blue since the early 1990s until the 2016 election because of the Democrat's formerly strong support for the UAW/labor unions and policies such as trade protectionism and going after employers who hired illegal immigrants (they flipped to Trump in 2016 for the same reasons).

However, the area is also has a strong pro-gun culture, as it's tradition for them to go up to northern Michigan for hunting season. Warren, MI has re-elected a "Democratic" mayor 4 times that openly makes racist jokes about black people and mocks mentally handicap people. The Detroit area, in general, is also not an area known to be hospitable to homosexuals. The fact that a lesbian couple from suburban Detroit had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to be granted the right to marry and adopt kids supports that fact.

I would best describe the area as economically liberal and socially conservative (which is how I define "moderate").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.