Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I know i have posted a similar thread a while back but things have changed for my oil company and money may or prolly will be an issue.I am a oilman in Midland,Texas trying to get my company off the ground and am trying to start another one in a few years.I do oil deals for extra money like drilling wells and flipping leases.I have always been intrigued with the states of Arizona and New Mexico.There is also a possiblity of Oklahoma,California, Colorado, and Arkansas.I really am worried about moving to a state that has a state tax especially if i have a high to super high income from oil and gas.

The super high income would only come if i would get overriding royalties in my business that my family member thinks I will get but I am not so sure that will come to pass.I may just stay in Texas and have property elsewhere or do VRBOs in other states.I know Texas has very high property taxes so I am thinking of just living in a smaller house or trailer to save on taxes if I have to buy into the oil wells. Also, another consideration is that oil income and speculative oil deals have more favorable tax treatment than just regular W2 wage income a worker would make.What do yall guys think about my situation.Should I stay in stay in Texas Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:36 PM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Stay in Texas. I've seen your posts. You're a native Texan and I'm not sure California or Colorado works for you. Why leave?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everyone,I know i have posted a similar thread a while back but things have changed for my oil company and money may or prolly will be an issue.I am a oilman in Midland,Texas trying to get my company off the ground and am trying to start another one in a few years.I do oil deals for extra money like drilling wells and flipping leases.I have always been intrigued with the states of Arizona and New Mexico.There is also a possiblity of Oklahoma,California, Colorado, and Arkansas.I really am worried about moving to a state that has a state tax especially if i have a high to super high income from oil and gas.

The super high income would only come if i would get overriding royalties in my business that my family member thinks I will get but I am not so sure that will come to pass.I may just stay in Texas and have property elsewhere or do VRBOs in other states.I know Texas has very high property taxes so I am thinking of just living in a smaller house or trailer to save on taxes if I have to buy into the oil wells. Also, another consideration is that oil income and speculative oil deals have more favorable tax treatment than just regular W2 wage income a worker would make.What do yall guys think about my situation.Should I stay in stay in Texas Thanks in advance.
No, unless you earn several hundred thousand per year, it's a difference of $30-$50/week for the median earner, which if your grossing over $1,000/week is peanuts

Old 01-25-2019, 08:10 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
If you are in the oil bidness, there is no better place to be for the foreseeable future than right smack dab in the middle of the Permian. If you stay there and get rich then you can go anywhere you want and live.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
It's all about total tax burden (percentage of your income that goes to taxes). Whether or not a state has an income tax may or may not be immaterial depending on your income level and other taxes - mainly sales and property taxes. There are websites out there that calculate average tax burden by state. You'd be surprised at how it can work out.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Buy a trailer in Midland and buy a house in Colorado. Buddy of mine did that for a while and loved it. He worked around Midland as well.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Generally, all States even out. States with no income tax tend to have higher sales, excise, and other taxes.

No income tax States:

Only seven states have no personal income tax:
Wyoming.
Washington.
Texas.
South Dakota.
Nevada.
Florida.
Alaska.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Generally, all States even out. States with no income tax tend to have higher sales, excise, and other taxes.

No income tax States:

Wyoming.
Washington.
Texas.
South Dakota.
Nevada.
Florida.
Alaska.
No oil in Washington that I know of.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No oil in Washington that I know of.
Nor Nevada, or Florida. Not sure I understand your post. I don't think this has much to do with oil, but someone can correct me.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

No income tax States:

Wyoming.
Washington.
Texas.
South Dakota.
Nevada.
Florida.
Alaska.
New Hampshire and Tennessee for all intents and purposes have no income tax. Dividend income is largely a non-factor for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.