Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 AM

25 posts, read 29,261 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am seriously asking for help on this so no hate, please! I am an Atheist, but very conservative. My values, beliefs, preferences, etc are very much like a very religious person. I find that I have much more in common with very religious people than other non-believers, except I just don't believe in god. With all of this said, would very religious areas/communities (The Bible Belt and the Mormon Corridor) accept someone like me? Or would I have a very hard time getting into the community? And also, I don't like cities so I'm asking about rural areas of these regions here. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Just blend in. People always wrongly assume my beliefs are similar to theirs. The truth would shock them, and I don't feel the need to spread my version of The Word, so it's easy for me to listen quietly.
If you are new to town, you will be asked The Three Questions:
Who are you kin to?
Where do you work?
Where do you do to church?
Lots of people don't go to church these days, so it's no biggee. Not anymore.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 AM

11,071 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
...I don't like cities so I'm asking about rural areas of these regions here. Thanks for any help!
It might have been better to have posted in the Rural and Small Town Living forum. This is a great starting point, but I think the small-town folks tend to hang out there.

The south tends to be very open and chatty, and oftentimes the conversation of 'church' will come up. So, figuring how to answer that might be tricky. Once you're viewed as non-church or anti-church, it will usually put a divide in place.

Maybe the west instead; like AZ, NV, or CO? I don't usually recommend the west, but that might be a better combination for you. CO is quite atheistic, while having with many conservative types. The big cities are blue, but the countryside is red.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM

25 posts, read 29,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It might have been better to have posted in the Rural and Small Town Living forum. This is a great starting point, but I think the small-town folks tend to hang out there.

The south tends to be very open and chatty, and oftentimes the conversation of 'church' will come up. So, figuring how to answer that might be tricky. Once you're viewed as non-church or anti-church, it will usually put a divide in place.

Maybe the west instead; like AZ, NV, or CO? I don't usually recommend the west, but that might be a better combination for you. CO is quite atheistic, while having with many conservative types. The big cities are blue, but the countryside is red.
Maybe! And I appreciate the input! But I'm not really the "Libertarian" type of conservative, and I tend to butt heads with that set of views. I'm not saying that people who are like that are bad people, but I'm saying I wouldn't want to live someplace where they dominate. For The West I was thinking Utah or Eastern Idaho, but again that brings the religion part into question. Definitely not Nevada, since the fact that prostitution is legal disgusts me. I'm very socially conservative despite my lack of faith.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
Maybe! And I appreciate the input! But I'm not really the "Libertarian" type of conservative, and I tend to butt heads with that set of views... I'm saying I wouldn't want to live someplace where they dominate.
I'm not sure about "Libertarian" types, but again in CO, people tend to keep their views to themselves. I had very few ask me there about personal views. It's pretty much commonly understood and agreed on that politics and religion are divisive topics, and they like to avoid argument. But again, it's in high contrast with the south, where people easily and willingly go head-to-head in discussing/arguing politics and religion.

CO is very traditional and simple. It doesn't fit with me, as I value spiritual thought and insight, but those without that seem to gravitate there. It's like the midwest with little religion. It's seems western to me, so why I lump it with that region. Despite the impression of the state from elsewhere, as a former resident it comes across to me as heavily conservative (and I'm moderate).

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-02-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 01:05 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,610 times
After a certain point, you can't know what people are going to do until they do it.

I know a few people who are conservative/atheist and it's not the kiss of death in the midwest or a small town.

The fact is that most people in smaller towns work in larger areas because that's where the jobs are.

I also think it's a generational/regional thing. As a Gen X'er, I really don't care what church anyone attends and most people really don't bring up church around here unless you are in that circle (like I am). This is even more true for those younger than me. It's really not a thing that people do in most areas these days (the big exception being the south).

I didn't even know that my neighbor was an atheist (until she brought it up) because it's really not any of my business to ask.

Even in smaller towns most people really don't know their neighbors. It's not like "Little House on the Prairie" (or insert your favorite TV ideal of small town life here). My town is growing (which the old timers don't like).

Honestly, a lot depends on the brand of Christianity. In the "Bible Belt of Michigan", it's mostly Dutch Reform or Christian reformed, so they are really focused on community and if you aren't a part of the church or are Dutch - you are pretty much on the outs. Even attitude has decreased in last 25 years.

I could also understand this in a strong Southern Baptist/Baptist area - however, not all Christians really care where (or if) you go to church.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
I have never noticed people bringing up religion or politics in the south frequently. The people that do tend to be liberals in my experience.

I can't recall anybody asking me where i go to church or who am I related to.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about "Libertarian" types, but again in CO, people tend to keep their views to themselves. I had very few ask me there about personal views. It's pretty much commonly understood and agreed on that politics and religion are divisive topics, and they like to avoid argument. But again, it's in high contrast with the south, where people easily and willingly go head-to-head in discussing/arguing politics and religion.

CO is very traditional and simple. It doesn't fit with me, as I value spiritual thought and insight, but those without that seem to gravitate there. It's like the midwest with little religion. It's seems western to me, so why I lump it with that region. Despite the impression of the state from elsewhere, as a former resident it comes across to me as heavily conservative (and I'm moderate).
I get the impression that people here in Denver/Boulder are mostly non believers and liberal but people definitely talk about them. I've seen numerous atheist bumper stickers. I'm from Louisiana and I would never consider any part of Colorado I've been to as heavily conservative.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I get the impression that people here in Denver/Boulder are mostly non believers and liberal but people definitely talk about them. I've seen numerous atheist bumper stickers. I'm from Louisiana and I would never consider any part of Colorado I've been to as heavily conservative.
But are you familiar with the rural areas away from the Front Range? Those are the areas I was referring to. Statistics constantly show them to vote red.

I'm not talking about the Front Range. The OP wants a small town.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
But are you familiar with the rural areas away from the Front Range? Those are the areas I was referring to. Statistics constantly show them to vote red.

I'm not talking about the Front Range. The OP wants a small town.
There are small towns in the front range. Voting red doesn't necessarily mean staunch conservativism but I understand your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.