Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times

Advertisements

Also, besides the milder averages, the sleet falling today notwithstanding, in general the winters in St. Louis will be somewhat shorter than in the two 42-latitude cities being mentioned.

TSheldon, if you could tell us some of the pros and cons you've seen in cities you've considered, that might help users focus in on cities that have more of the pros and fewer of the cons. You've said that cost of living isn't a huge factor, but is there a maximum rent, even if your maximum rent is fairly well up there? Would you prefer more of an old-style, densely packed city, or more of the Sun Belt look? Those are a couple of factors that could help narrow this down, but any details you could provide about what does and does not work with cities you've considered would help as well.

Aside from that, have you considered Atlanta? Or if being near, rather than right in, a major metro area would work, how about Athens, GA? Great music scene from what I hear, though I've never been there. If you want winters even milder than those in Georgia, in addition to warm-weather cities that have been suggested, how about Houston, San Antonio, or the Florida cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheldon View Post
24 year old single guy what city in the US would you most want to live in?
Whichever one had the highest percentage of 20-24 year old women. Jeeze this is a no-brainer . A place that had employment and decent weather would be an added bonus though.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Whichever one had the highest percentage of 20-24 year old women. Jeeze this is a no-brainer . A place that had employment and decent weather would be an added bonus though.
You do have something here. Why didn't the rest of us dummies think of this? Duh!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
LOL, no kiddin'. So the bottom line is, check out this map, avoid the blue areas and focus on the red areas -- the bigger the better. Given your warm-weather preference, looks like Atlanta is your winner.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
As far as percentage of women versus men, cities generally have more women since women typically live longer.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
As far as percentage of women versus men, cities generally have more women since women typically live longer.
That presumes an even distribution of respective populations across the cities. The map referenced above clearly dispels that notion, at least where singles are concerned.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That presumes an even distribution of respective populations across the cities. The map referenced above clearly dispels that notion, at least where singles are concerned.

Correct, and then factors such as migration/moving for employment, schools, military, etc., along with number of boys vs. girls being born [generally and regionally], and the such all would come into play also. Still, a very interesting map - esp. with more western part more male, and eastern more ladies.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
A lot of the skew toward single males in the west is probably due to larger numbers of single male immigrants from Mexico.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
In terms of favorable ratios, DC always rates as having more women then men between the ages of 18-35. Having lived there, I believe this. As a young male 20-something, you could do a lot worse than DC for dating. It also has a decent climate (of course, it's not San Diego) and the outdoor activities are there if you seek them out (of course, it's not Denver or Seattle). Plus, there are a lot of cool jobs for someone your age and plenty of education options if you are looking to get a degree in something (else).

I also wonder what you (the OP) meant by RDU?!?!?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
I live in between St. Louis and Memphis, which both have more women.

I'm a girl myself, so that's not so good for me, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.