Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 553 times

Advertisements

We are a family of three, my husband and I in our mid/late 30s and an almost 4 year old daughter, living in the finger lakes region of upstate NY. Born and raised in this area we have an appreciation for many things: the seasons, the great hiking, beautiful lakes and waterfalls, the great farm to table restaurants and the craft beer/wine scene. But, despite the pros and the affordability of owning a home and running a small business here, we have always kept the idea of moving to a new area in our back pockets. We feel like what we want in a new place is a tall order so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone can give us some suggestions of regions or specific towns (we don't think we want to be right IN a big city, but close proximity could work...) that we could check out. He's what we want:

200+ days of at least partly sunny skies per year (even if it's a place that gets snow we need more sun.)
Lots of trees/forests
Within an hour drive to a large body of water
Progressive/Liberal leaning
Environmentally conscious community
Cultural Diversity
A higher vibrational energy (aka a place that feels alive and uplifting, where people aren't always miserable)
A place where alternative medicine and healing are known and accepted (I'm a LMT and Herbalist)
Good farmers' markets or community gardens
Good music/art scene is a bonus

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM

201 posts, read 220,201 times
Asheville, NC fits all criteria except being near the water.

Last edited by Metal To The Core; 05-16-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB331 View Post
We are a family of three, my husband and I in our mid/late 30s and an almost 4 year old daughter, living in the finger lakes region of upstate NY. Born and raised in this area we have an appreciation for many things: the seasons, the great hiking, beautiful lakes and waterfalls, the great farm to table restaurants and the craft beer/wine scene. But, despite the pros and the affordability of owning a home and running a small business here, we have always kept the idea of moving to a new area in our back pockets. We feel like what we want in a new place is a tall order so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone can give us some suggestions of regions or specific towns (we don't think we want to be right IN a big city, but close proximity could work...) that we could check out. He's what we want:

200+ days of at least partly sunny skies per year (even if it's a place that gets snow we need more sun.)
Lots of trees/forests
Cultural Diversity
A higher vibrational energy (aka a place that feels alive and uplifting, where people aren't always miserable)
A place where alternative medicine and healing are known and accepted (I'm a LMT and Herbalist)

Thanks!
Outside San Francisco? It's not cheap though

Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
The coastal cities of the Atlantic Southeast might fit the bill: Wilmington, NC, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Although the surrounding countryside in the states in which they reside tends to be conservative, the cities themselves are decidedly not. Plus all three have a strong arts community (Charleston hosts the Spoleto Festival every year; Savannah is the home of the Savannah College of Art and Design). I would think there would be a market for Alternative Medicine practitioner in any of these cities.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB331 View Post

Lots of trees/forests
Cultural Diversity

Thanks!
Gainesville, Florida

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-16-2019, 11:36 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
Asheville, NC
Some town in Colorado has to be what you're looking for. I'm just not familiar enough with the state to make a recommendation.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
A large body of water is hard to come by in the high desert but (otherwise) cities/towns around Albuquerque NM could work (Corrales, Bernalillo, Edgewood, Cedar Crest, Placitas, Rio Rancho). Cochiti Lake is probably the closest. The Sandias and national forest land is close by as are the Jemez Mountains. Santa Fe and the Sangre de Cristos are about 40 miles away. The desert spreads out to the west. Three strong cultures mixed together and very diverse. Ridiculously sunny, low humidity, and over a mile high in elevation makes a near perfect climate.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Laguna Beach, CA
Leucadia, CA

Not cheap, but both cities meat your criteria.
But you can get to snow within two hours during the winter, otherwise a two season climate (summer and a spring/fall hybrid)
Lightly wooded forests are near by, heavily wooded forests are also within a two hour drive
Nearby deserts are nature's zen gardens

Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM

260 posts, read 324,283 times
If access to water wasn't such a priority for you two, I would suggest Santa Fe NM.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Asheville, NC fits all criteria except being near the water.
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) fits the bill as well, and it has 2 rather large reservoir lakes, and the Atlantic Ocean is 2 hours east of Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.