Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised, given this forum is called city-data.com, I see a lot of posts (albeit not the majority) which talk about cities being crime-filled wastelands, cesspools of corruption, etc.

What would bring a poster who does not like American cities to post on a forum...about cities? I mean, I'm not going to say GTFO go to a site called suburb-data.com. This is not meant as a troll thread. I'm just genuinely curious why someone who doesn't like cities would come to the forum.

Last edited by JMT; 04-30-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
My guess is that those people either come here with an axe to grind about a place they live or used to live and want to tell the world how awful it is, or they come here in search of a place that's better than the one they live in now and happen to mention in passing what's wrong with their current city..

Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
Or could it just be that the people here are just better informed and therefore have more discerning tastes?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Or could it just be that the people here are just better informed and therefore have more discerning tastes?
I'm not talking about people who don't like particular cities. I'm talking about people who pretty clearly from their comments don't like *any* cities, prefer small town/suburban style living, etc.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Sorry if this belongs in the general forum, but I was curious.

I'm surprised, given this forum is called city-data.com, I see a lot of posts (albeit not the majority) which talk about cities being crime-filled wastelands, cesspools of corruption, etc.

What would bring a poster who does not like American cities to post on a forum...about cities? I mean, I'm not going to say GTFO go to a site called suburb-data.com. This is not meant as a troll thread. I'm just genuinely curious why someone who doesn't like cities would come to the forum.
I think probably you and many of the posts you are reading are focusing on the negative. I personally dislike the aspects of city life you've referred to, but if we cannot speak to those things, they won't get improved.

I also like the cultural diversity usually available without having to travel long distances. There are also all the social amenities (restaurants, parks, retail centers, etc) so it isn't just negative.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Maybe the title of the forum is just wrong. City-data has information about just about everything. I found it when I was googling our little town. When you look up a town, the forum threads to that town are on here too.

I don't like living in cities and sometimes don't even like to visit them, but that does not mean I cannot understand information about them and I don't live on an island. I have come to understand why people in Northern states like to live in cities. You want to be where help is possible when you need it. In the South we don't have that problem except in the mountains. We can have space and cleaner air and still be close enough to drive to medical and shopping. So towns are filled with mostly less advantaged people. That's just the way it is.

So to me it is a little strange that people want to talk about cities. That is like me wanting to talk about a shopping center. To me that is what a city is--a shopping center or medical center. You could not hire me to go downtown Charlotte to see a nighttime show. I value my life too much and we have plenty of things to do where we live.

And it doesn't bother me at all that most of the people I run into on a daily basis are basically the same as me. I like myself and I like them too. Why would I want to be around people that on here seem to want to hate white people. I don't need that. I like peace and harmony and I especially like it that when I fix up my house and yard, no one tries to steal it--if I am lucky. Charlotte's crime sometimes comes out in the country too.

Last edited by NCN; 04-30-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think probably you and many of the posts you are reading are focusing on the negative. I personally dislike the aspects of city life you've referred to, but if we cannot speak to those things, they won't get improved.
Reps for you and of note to others in the Orlando/Florida forums who find issue with honest facts. The "rose-colored glasses" approach has never accomplished anything positive in terms of urban planning/improvements.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe the title of the forum is just wrong. City-data has information about just about everything. I found it when I was googling our little town. When you look up a town, the forum threads to that town are on here too.

I don't like living in cities and sometimes don't even like to visit them, but that does not mean I cannot understand information about them and I don't live on an island. I have come to understand why people in Northern states like to live in cities. You want to be where help is possible when you need it. In the South we don't have that problem except in the mountains. We can have space and cleaner air and still be close enough to drive to medical and shopping. So towns are filled with mostly less advantaged people. That's just the way it is.
You can live in those kinds of places in the North as well. North doesn't equal city or urban. Even in mountain towns, you can have a hospital and shopping on a main street. Take a trip up here and you may actually like some places that you see like these: Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce
Town of Ticonderoga
Inter-Lakes Health: Heritage Commons Residential Health Care.

Adirondack Medical Center - Adirondack Medical Center
Welcome to Saranac Lake, New York!
Village of Saranac Lake, New York*

Elizabethtown Community Hospital
Elizabethtown, NY | Official Town Website

Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Sorry if this belongs in the general forum, but I was curious.
Quote:

What a bizarre way to think.

It's like, if you have a website about cereal, you think that the only people that should be posting on it are those that all love cereal.
It just doesn't (and shouldn't) work that way.

Besides that, where I live is not anything at all like what so many people think of when they hear the word, "city". I can only think of one structure over two stories tall. It's more like one would think of as a town, and a small one at that.
Yet, it is a city.

I despise cities, in the context of a city having big buildings, skyscrapers, high pollution, crowded streets, etc..

That's why I live in the sort of city I do!

I have dolphins jumping and playing across the street, not a wall of buildings with neon lights.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe it's just me, but being to help has nothing to do with why I chose urban life. I grew up mainly in a highly suburban area in Connecticut, and I hated it. I needed to walk a mile, down a busy street with cars going 55 miles an hour, to get to the nearest convenience store. There was absolutely nothing to do. Even when I was older and my friends had cars (I didn't drive until I was 19) we ended up spending much of our evenings hanging out in school playgrounds after dark, or in crappy local chain restaurants. Sure, there were a few nice parks, but you can find those everywhere. I'm not a depressive person in general, but the idea of ever moving "back home" fills me with a despair so great I can't imagine anything worse. I honestly enjoyed living in Detroit more. I know such a place appeals to some people, and that's fine, but it's certainly not me.

I've actually noticed this is a common pattern. Out of the people I knew growing up, the fellow weirdos (freaks, nerds, etc) generally moved away, usually to big cities (Most of my high school friends live in Brooklyn now - Williamsburg or Park Slope last I checked), wheras the people who fit in better tended to stay close to home, even if they couldn't afford a house in our hometown proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.