Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

The thing about locations with mild temperatures with little to no extreme weather/temps are almost always found on or near the coast, so usually it will have higher humidity. Temperature wise most places along the CA coast fit your criteria except for the humidity part, but it doesn't really start to feel humid until you have at least a dewpoint of 60 and temps at least 75 or higher. So while locations along the CA coast are technically humid they don't really feel like it. The Central or Northern CA coast would be best for the type of climate you are looking for, places there average 50's and 60's year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
Sacramento, Ca gets too hot in the summer (1oo+). Denver gets snow, but is definitely dry. Perhaps try other parts of Colorado that don't get much snow like Grand Junction (I don't think they get a lot of snow...). Also, there are other places in New Mexico that have more mild temps in the winter than Santa Fe. Also, try Sunnyvale, CA and Pleasanton, CA. They are more inland so they don't get the humidity from the coast, but they are close enough to moderate their summer temps. No snow. They will also be pretty expensive, but there are job opportunities and they aren't as bad as San Fran, San Jose (cost and humidity wise).

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

25 posts, read 219,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The thing about locations with mild temperatures with little to no extreme weather/temps are almost always found on or near the coast, so usually it will have higher humidity. Temperature wise most places along the CA coast fit your criteria except for the humidity part, but it doesn't really start to feel humid until you have at least a dewpoint of 60 and temps at least 75 or higher. So while locations along the CA coast are technically humid they don't really feel like it. The Central or Northern CA coast would be best for the type of climate you are looking for, places there average 50's and 60's year round.
Yes, it sounds as if there is a big difference when you go just a few miles inland. So you think San Diego really gets too hot for my criteria and that the humidity there is more palpable?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Sacramento, Ca gets too hot in the summer (1oo+). Denver gets snow, but is definitely dry. Perhaps try other parts of Colorado that don't get much snow like Grand Junction (I don't think they get a lot of snow...). Also, there are other places in New Mexico that have more mild temps in the winter than Santa Fe. Also, try Sunnyvale, CA and Pleasanton, CA. They are more inland so they don't get the humidity from the coast, but they are close enough to moderate their summer temps. No snow. They will also be pretty expensive, but there are job opportunities and they aren't as bad as San Fran, San Jose (cost and humidity wise).
Yes, I have been checking and it looks like Sacramento is too warm - almost like where I am now...I haven't thought of Grand Junction. I will look at Sunnyvale and Pleasanton. Denver still seems like a good choice. Thank you very much for these ideas.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followsdogs View Post
Yes, it sounds as if there is a big difference when you go just a few miles inland. So you think San Diego really gets too hot for my criteria and that the humidity there is more palpable?
I don't really think is too hot for your criteria I just didn't really suggest it b/c you seemed like you wanted 50's and 60's and SD is usually 60's and 70's. I live about 8 blocks from the ocean and it's almost always a nice, comfortable temperature. It doesn't really go above 85 that often, probably not much more than a dozen times a year. But you have to stay within 5 miles of the coast for that. I don't have or need AC and rarely use my heater, so thats a plus. Also SD gets "humid" compared to other parts of CA, but I think "humid" is a relative term b/c if you're from the southeast or east coast you won't find SD humid. But if you are from a drier climate like AZ, CO, NV, ect.. you might. Northern Californian's think Southern CA is humid. And people from Reno, NV think the Bay Area is humid. In summer dewpoints in SD tend to be in the upper 50's to mid 60's near the coast but rarely go above 68. I think SD has the perfect amount of humidity for me at least, not too much but not too dry either.

I think SD probably has the most comfortable climate in America with regards to not having to deal with extreme heat or cold; 60's and 70's year round. iBut if you want it to be more of the 50's and 60's the farther north along the CA coast is better. SD could be a good compromise if you still want a little warmth with temps above 70 but don't want to have to deal with 90-100 temps.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't really think is too hot for your criteria I just didn't really suggest it b/c you seemed like you wanted 50's and 60's and SD is usually 60's and 70's. I live about 8 blocks from the ocean and it's almost always a nice, comfortable temperature. It doesn't really go above 85 that often, probably not much more than a dozen times a year. But you have to stay within 5 miles of the coast for that. I don't have or need AC and rarely use my heater, so thats a plus. Also SD gets "humid" compared to other parts of CA, but I think "humid" is a relative term b/c if you're from the southeast or east coast you won't find SD humid. But if you are from a drier climate like AZ, CO, NV, ect.. you might. Northern Californian's think Southern CA is humid. And people from Reno, NV think the Bay Area is humid. In summer dewpoints in SD tend to be in the upper 50's to mid 60's near the coast but rarely go above 68. I think SD has the perfect amount of humidity for me at least, not too much but not too dry either.

I think SD probably has the most comfortable climate in America with regards to not having to deal with extreme heat or cold; 60's and 70's year round. iBut if you want it to be more of the 50's and 60's the farther north along the CA coast is better. SD could be a good compromise if you still want a little warmth with temps above 70 but don't want to have to deal with 90-100 temps.
That's a great summary - thanks very much It's true that humidity is hard to judge unless you're there. People in Austin think it's reallllllly humid here, and it is to a degree sometimes - but not the same as if you've lived in Houston .
I assume it's expensive to find a place to live so near the coast as you are, so I'd probably end up going inland and getting hotter - so it makes sense that you say I might consider looking further northward. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 15,719 times
Default Perfect Place

Hi. I am single and mobile, in my 40's and living currently half-time in Europe and the U.S. I know places I love in the U.S. (southern California except would prefer a lake instead of the ocean) but have still not found THE perfect place in Europe.

I am looking for low humidity and mild temperatures but am still not finding two requirements: near a lake (i prefer lakes over ocean) and semi-close to mountains for hiking.

Perfect would be if it is a German-speaking town. I do love southern Austria but it stays a bit cold and humid there it seems.

If anyone knows of a place to suggest, I'd love to hear from you! thanks!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 48,673 times
I have lived in San Diego, Lafayette (SF East Bay) Yorba Linda CA. San Diego wins the weather. Like all of them. OC weather was very nice tho smoggy. Arthritis sufferers do best w/o humidity and cold. If I could find similar weather to CA, I would move there in a minute. WE are now in NW Arkansas and the humidity is fierce in summer as is the heat and winters can be very cold and icy or, as in this year, very mild and nice. Subject to chan ge. Tornadoes are very scary. Would trade for earthquake anyday. At least you know where the fault lines are. Good Luck

Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 14,560 times
I have COPD and would like temps between 40 and 80 with low humidity

Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 PM

419 posts, read 656,263 times
I've lived in San Diego, born and raised left in 1983 to come to PNW. San Diego is ideal if you can afford it and like the way that state is run. I for one would never again live in CA. Seattle area is nice and great dog area but after 30 years ready to move on. The rain (drizzle) does not get to me it is the never ending grey skies. Also when the sun does come out it is rarely in the a.m. Who wants to do anything late in the afternoon - I am a morning person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.