Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 AM

25 posts, read 219,793 times

Advertisements

I promised my elderly dog our next move would be to a place she would enjoy! She has arthritis in a rebuilt knee and also doesn't tolerate heat over about 85 well - seems to thrive best when it's 50 or 60. She doesn't do well on icy days - has real trouble with footing despite all I can think of to do. Have figured out that high heat, dropping pressure and high humidity are the things I need to avoid.

Currently living in the hill country of central Texas near Austin. Yes, I know Austin is a great city, and spring is beautiful here, but the summers of high (90-100) degree heat are pretty rough and we have been here about a decade. Somehow it feels hotter every year, even though I'm a southeast Texas native and should be used to it.

Don't mind cloudy days so I had thought of Seattle, but wondered how the arthritis sufferers fare there??? Also thought of California, as my parents live there, but not sure where the best climate there would be.

Anyone with any ideas? Am 40-something female, don't mind jobhunting somewhere new, am presently working as counselor/utilization manager but have other work skills.

My dog and I thank you in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followsdogs View Post
I promised my elderly dog our next move would be to a place she would enjoy! She has arthritis in a rebuilt knee and also doesn't tolerate heat over about 85 well - seems to thrive best when it's 50 or 60. She doesn't do well on icy days - has real trouble with footing despite all I can think of to do. Have figured out that high heat, dropping pressure and high humidity are the things I need to avoid.

Currently living in the hill country of central Texas near Austin. Yes, I know Austin is a great city, and spring is beautiful here, but the summers of high (90-100) degree heat are pretty rough and we have been here about a decade. Somehow it feels hotter every year, even though I'm a southeast Texas native and should be used to it.

Don't mind cloudy days so I had thought of Seattle, but wondered how the arthritis sufferers fare there??? Also thought of California, as my parents live there, but not sure where the best climate there would be.

Anyone with any ideas? Am 40-something female, don't mind jobhunting somewhere new, am presently working as counselor/utilization manager but have other work skills.

My dog and I thank you in advance for any advice!
Thats so nice, I've had dogs all my life(Pomeranian right now) and understand having a love for them!! I think your dog would be very comfortable here in Seattle as you stated before, sounds just right for you guys. Low humidity, very mild temps(Usually low 70s in summer and typically in the low 40's in the winter) etc. Also parts of California would probably work for you(Bay Area, San Diego, etc). Good luck to you and your dog!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
If your dog needs low humidity and mild temperatures, I would suggest the Bay Area, especially San Francisco and the peninsula. It very rarely gets above 75 in San Francisco proper. More often highs are between 50 and about 70 annually. The only downside is that the humidity is relatively high in San Francisco all year due to its location near the water. The only time the humidity is super low is when the temperature gets really high, which happens once or twice every two or so years. The humidity is even higher farther up the coast, so although it might be cooler, it will be more humid as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Maybe inland NorCal. Sacramento, Napa, etc. I think it's great that you are so concerned for your dog! Haha!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 AM

355 posts, read 990,618 times
Sounds like you and your dog would be happy in the Seattle area. Mild temperatures and low humidity. But, there is lots of mud....so if she likes bathtime....she'll love it here. My dogs have adjusted quite well and go for many rainy walks. By the time we get home my little JRT (so low to the ground) gets her belly all splattered with mud....but she is having a blast....happy, happy, happy! I don't think ice will be a problem for your dog....we've had a few snowy days but it doesn't last.

You should not have a hard time finding employment....there seems to be a lot of opportunities in the Seattle area.

Oh and there are a lot of dog friendly people in Seattle. My dogs get lots of smiles on our walks.

Good luck to you and your dog....she sounds pretty special.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
San Fran bay area - San Jose, Campbell, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara. Sounds like the ideal area for you. Expensive though as I'm sure you are aware.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM

25 posts, read 219,793 times
Default thanks for the ideas

Thanks very much to all for the ideas - will check on the California cities listed and still wondering about Seattle - Sams mom and A Team say low humidity there - hooray!!! - but how can it be so if it rains so often? Is the rain all day or just cloudy all day with sprinkles?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM

261 posts, read 621,676 times
Ok, lots of votes for Cali...that's my vote as well. Torrance is perfect for what you described. Low humidity there, rarely gets above 80.

Just thought of a better place for you guys... Lompoc, California. Central Coast California. Great weather, beautiful area with low humidity. Lots of nice places to take your dog for walks etc. Rarely gets above 85 there in the summer. It does have a rainy season in Dec/Jan, but that's nothing. Plenty of good vets around and your a stone's throw from the beach. The sand should ease the pain on your dog's joints and stuff, right? Trust me, you'll love it. Also, look at Buellton, Santa Maria, and Paso Robles.

Good luck to you and your dog. Hope you find a place that you really love and will make you smile.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM

BTW, the places I mentioned are cheaper than San Jose, San Fran, and Seattle.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM

I love my suggestions, but how about Santa Fe, NM? I personally have only been there once, years ago...but I've heard lots of good things about it. Getting pricier, but still cheaper than a lot of Cali places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.