Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,555,233 times

Advertisements

I live in Gaston County, NC (just outside of Charlotte). There are a lot of recreational activities, especially outdoors. The Catawba River and Lake Wylie in the east, Crowders Mountain State Park in the west. Great natural history museum. One of the largest, most beautiful botanical gardens in the country. Christmastown USA (McAdenville). Nice, quiet, and laid back, yet an easy drive into Charlotte via I-85. Nice parks and greenways. There are a good number of great locally owned restaurants for a county our size (217k). Most of all, I love the people. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I've never met genuinely nicer people in a community anywhere else that I've lived or in my travels.

I look forward to seeing what you guys love about the county where you live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 763,172 times
I live about an hour and a half from you, in Forsyth. I was born and raised here, itching to get out. It's an okay place, hilly and interesting in some ways but I have always longed to live out West. Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock SP are nearby, and there's very touristy Old Salem in the county. Downtown Winston-Salem has become gentrified rapidly, there are bars, restaurants, and other things that cater to the hipster crowd. Other than the usual, such as movies, coffeeshops, and biking at Salem Lake, there isn't much to do IMO. I can't wait to get out.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,411,557 times
Arlington County (VA)... it's OK. Expensive. If Virginia had its version of Manhattan, pretty sure this would be it. Close to DC which is always a good thing.

The most interesting thing to happen here in a long time is Amazon opening its headquarters so... yeah...

Old 12-05-2019, 03:28 PM

16,151 posts, read 10,830,330 times
Sandoval County, NM, northwest and north of Albuquerque, is a beautiful place sandwiched in between Santa Fe and ABQ. You could comprise a checklist of everything you imagine you would want in a high desert southwestern location and you would probably find it here. There's the Rio Grande valley, ancient volcanoes, several pueblos, artist colonies, Jemez Mountains, hot springs, canyons, the 3rd largest city in the state, and a near perfect four season climate -- but don't tell anybody. OK?

Old 12-05-2019, 03:33 PM

14,390 posts, read 11,807,073 times
Orange County, CA. I love the natural landscape. The beach is 30 minutes away, and I can leave my house on my bike and be on mountain trails in 15 minutes. I also love the climate which means I can be outside about 350 days a year, grow vegetables in my garden year-round, and be comfortable without either heat or a/c 90% of the time.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Nassau County, NY ... Long Island. OMG where do I even begin? I love it here, truthfully. The # of ppl living here despite the COL should tell you something about the desirability. We seriously have everything here ... biking trails, camping, hiking trails, parks, beaches, awesome malls & shops, short commute to NYC, highly rated schools, great hospitals, wonderful people. No we aren’t all crazy, rich, spoiled brats! What i love is that during the summer you can eat & drink at cafes on the water. Lobster rolls anyone? I love the boating culture (salt life is a thing, it’s wonderful) ... come & see us in Nassau County!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 PM

6,423 posts, read 5,063,916 times
King County, WA.

The Seattle area feels like a very forward-thinking place. That means there aren't a lot of local traditions and most people don't have generations of family here, but it also means trends in urban design, the arts, social values, etc. get adopted here before they do in most of the country, which I personally find refreshing. The built environment feels modern and clean compared to what I'm used to elsewhere, without being completely sprawling un-walkable suburbia. And honestly, I don't find myself minding the rain or the overcast skies that much; it just goes with the vibe of this place. I don't think I want to live here permanently but it's been a good place to spend (so far) half a year.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,635,992 times
Bernalillo County, the most populated and urban county in New Mexico. The county covers 1,167 square miles with an estimated population of 678,701 in 2018. The actual urban parts and majority of the population are concentrated in about 200 square miles along the Rio Grande that runs down the middle of the county. The rest of the county is either grasslands, desert landscapes or mountains and forested lands.

What I love most about Bernalillo County is its blend of history, strong local culture and traditions with increasing urbanity and an urban focus, all within easy access and reach of glorious nature. Throw in the strong local food and drink scene found here and the great weather that sees four seasons and is sunny most of the time but never oppresively hot, and this place is perfect to me.

The biggest negatives of Bernalillo County are crime and the loud minority of voices against change and big ideas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bern...ty,_New_Mexico

Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,099,433 times
Fort Bend County and Travis County- I’m in Travis County for University but call Fort Bend County my home.

While it’s pretty flat, the best thing about it is it’s ridiculous diversity which its arguably the most diverse county’s in Texas and top 3 in the U.S.A in terms of diversity among the major four races, with generally high wealth. It is the third wealthiest Texas County by median family income (used to be number one), only behind Rockwall and Collin Counties. So it’s one of those places where Diversity of all sorts is negatively associated with poverty and I personally think Fort Bend is the future of America. The county’s best attribute though is the pace of growth it grows by roughly 20,000-30,000 people a year and theirs so many long term interesting projects that make the county’s landscape and future everchsing and interesting.

Travis County is pretty cool, most of it is already built out but at this point in time Travis is synonymous with Austin maybe only Bexar is more synonymous with SA than any of the other big 5 Texas cities. So basically everything you associate with Austin is essentially all of Travis except more beautiful hills and some bougier areas like Lake Travis.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,715,162 times
Hennepin CO Minnesota. Great county. Minneapolis. Great suburbs. Has a lot of different places depending on what you like. Exurban/rural, open prairie areas, beautiful lake shore and river valleys.

You can live in urban walkable, suburban walkable, suburban car dependent or rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.