Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times

Advertisements

Jefferson County, CO

What people are really imagining when they think "Denver", even though Denver itself is a click to the right. The eastern half is a collection of well-established suburbs, the western half is forested foothills with incredible views abound. Politically, middle of the road. All kinds of housing from densely built old homes, to large properties with trophy mansions deep in the hills. Not far from anything you'd want to do in Denver or the mountains.

My favorite part of the Denver area by far, and I'm glad I've lived here for the last 6 years.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,038,010 times
Washington County, OR

It seems decent enough. It is clean, but too vanilla and sterile. I am told property taxes are lower than Multnomah county, but I am unlikely to buy in this county since it is far from my wife’s work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,398,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I live in Gaston County, NC (just outside of Charlotte). There are a lot of recreational activities, especially outdoors. The Catawba River and Lake Wylie in the east, Crowders Mountain State Park in the west. Great natural history museum. One of the largest, most beautiful botanical gardens in the country. Christmastown USA (McAdenville). Nice, quiet, and laid back, yet an easy drive into Charlotte via I-85. Nice parks and greenways. There are a good number of great locally owned restaurants for a county our size (217k). Most of all, I love the people. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I've never met genuinely nicer people in a community anywhere else that I've lived or in my travels.

I look forward to seeing what you guys love about the county where you live
Midland County, Texas.I love the Lee High School Rebels and the Friday Night Lights.I love all the fracking going on in the oilfield.Its good that its not too far from hunting.I love that the church of Christ is strong here.I love my family and the people.I love my church family.I love that were close to New Mexico.I also love that there's lots of Texas pride.I love that Southwest flies into our airport.Great thread topic,march2.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:56 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Midland County, Texas.I love the Lee High School Rebels and the Friday Night Lights.I love all the fracking going on in the oilfield.Its good that its not too far from hunting.I love that the church of Christ is strong here.I love my family and the people.I love my church family.I love that were close to New Mexico.I also love that there's lots of Texas pride.I love that Southwest flies into our airport.Great thread topic,march2.
Thanks, C24L. I know a lot of times threads can get a bit negative. But i thought it would be nice to see some positive stuff and get a take of what we like about where we live

Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,411,797 times
I live in San Diego County, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Orange County, CA. ... I also love the climate which means I can be outside about 350 days a year, grow vegetables in my garden year-round, and be comfortable without either heat or a/c 90% of the time.
Basically, all of this ^ plus we have a real city at the center of it.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 AM

822 posts, read 859,502 times
Counties don't mean much in New England

Old 12-06-2019, 10:23 AM

712 posts, read 543,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Counties don't mean much in New England
Disagree with your statement.

I live in New Haven county, specifically, northeast corner of the county and rural area.

A short drive/rail to Downtown New Haven for all the cultural stuff, museums such as van Gogh paintings, theaters and restaurants. That is important plus. Sure,the town I live in is the most important, so does the county.

Short drive to Hartford BDL airport, another plus. A short drive to Hartford metro for state government stuff, another plus with good transportation rail and buses, these are beyond county level, state level.

Short and easy access to fairfield county/Stamford, NYC for jobs and relative short distance to Boston are very important for the place I live in. And the beaches along Shore line Connect Mystic, New London, Rhode Island, etc.

In a simple statement, the county offers a rural life style, but with easy access to city such as New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, NYC/Boston with highways/rails are very important of the environment where I am in now. Plus, I get all of these and beaches at quite cheap housing prices, a true plus at bargain prices.

Last edited by jxzz; 12-06-2019 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 11:37 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,462,830 times
San Diego County.

Damn near perfect weather year round for being active outdoors, and the best county for surfing in the US outside of Hawaii. Where I currently live about 25 minutes from the coast is also about 35 minutes from mountains that get snow several times a year, most recently 18” over Thanksgiving.

I’m able to have a tropical landscape in my front and back yard so everything is always green, and I grow tons of fruit with several harvest cycles so I always have something growing. Avocados, pineapples, oranges, grapes and strawberry-guavas (highly recommended) just to name a few. Oh yeah, it’s a pretty fun city too with an awesome downtown right on the bay, which happens to be great for sailing.

Orange County and Los Angeles with everything they have to offer, along with the mountains that have ski resorts are all 1.5-2 hours away (sometimes 3-4 hours, lol).

It doesn’t come without its issues though. It’s expensive as hell, but not as bad as LA or SF. The same goes for our traffic and homeless problem. Both aren’t nearly as bad as you’ll find LA and SF. We lost our NBA team when I was a kid, and recently our NFL team, both to LA, so that sucks too, but my interest in pro sports has waned over the years.

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, except for maybe a few spots in Hawaii, but I still think I’d rather be here at the end of the day.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Disagree with your statement.

I live in New Haven county, specifically, northeast corner of the county and rural area.

A short drive/rail to Downtown New Haven for all the cultural stuff, museums such as van Gogh paintings, theaters and restaurants. That is important plus. Sure,the town I live in is the most important, so does the county.

Short drive to Hartford BDL airport, another plus. A short drive to Hartford metro for state government stuff, another plus with good transportation rail and buses, these are beyond county level, state level.

Short and easy access to fairfield county/Stamford, NYC for jobs and relative short distance to Boston are very important for the place I live in. And the beaches along Shore line Connect Mystic, New London, Rhode Island, etc.

In a simple statement, the county offers a rural life style, but with easy access to city such as New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, NYC/Boston with highways/rails are very important of the environment where I am in now. Plus, I get all of these and beaches at quite cheap housing prices, a true plus at bargain prices.
I think what they meant is that towns have more power to govern in New England, vs. counties in the rest of the US.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM

712 posts, read 543,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I think what they meant is that towns have more power to govern in New England, vs. counties in the rest of the US.
I got that. Towns in New England have very small area for government, housing taxes. However, residents do not live in vacuum town only. The state tax in CT is more of Hartford, a neighbor city or county.
Jobs are in Stamford, or NYC, a neighbor city or county. Summer tourism for short trip is beaches at New London county/Mystic or Rhode Island.

Town does have a lots of say on local government, but without those county or neighbor, I would move out. In other word, the place I love is not just a town for my house, it is county and the state (Connecticut) that I love. New England county does have court system in CT at least, not in towns.

County concept in CT is quite reasonable description. For example, a resident in New Haven county means that he/she is not likely to work in NYC, most people do not (only Milford). therefore have less connection to NYC compared to Fairfield county residents. But, there are tons of New Haven county residents work in fairfield county or Stamford on trains, or drive to Hartford for jobs. So county is relavent. It is highly unlikely for any Hartford county resident to commute for jobs in Stamford, for example. A complete different lifestyle and economics.

A description of 4 different counties, people can immediately know quickly he/she is what kind of lifestyle, or jobs, or commute in, For example: New Haven county, New London county, Hartford county, Fairfield county. 4 different life style, 4 different kind of economics in same state.

Last edited by jxzz; 12-06-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.