Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you living where you are now?
I had a desire to move here, so I made it happen 41 49.40%
I ended up here due to circumstances 33 39.76%
I happened to be here my whole life 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

There are all kinds of reasons why people move to a new city, town or place, whether voluntary or involuntary. Or sometimes its voluntary but in their best interests. Some people travel and research and develop a strong desire to move to a place and make it happen if they can. Others are forced into dire circumstances and have little choice but to live or move to/in a certain place.

So, what about you? Did you willingly (out of desire) choose to live in the place you currently live in? Or did you sort of "end up" there due to life circumstances (i.e. employment, family, health, love)?

For me, I ended up in Jacksonville, FL since three years ago after being long term unemployed in CT and was desperate to find a job anywhere in the country. So I finally got a good job offer in Jacksonville and made the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Could'nt wait to move to Chicago and I made it happen many years ago and have loved it!

Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I wanted to move here.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:58 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I always knew I would escape Texas. I'd always wanted to live on the east coast, Seattle and southern California. Looks like I'll make all three come true soon. There were a couple of lovely pit stops as well in Denver and Greenville.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:59 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I was always planning on getting out of Chicago at some point. After I finished college, I had nothing going for me, a dead-end job paying just a tick over minimum wage, and most of my friends had moved on --- so when I happened to see an ad for a coding bootcamp in the DC area, I jumped at the chance to leave that existence behind. I got placed with a contracting firm afterward, so now I move wherever the firm wants me to move. It's been pretty great.

I don't really want to stay in Seattle forever. I'm only in my mid-20s, I figure I have at least a few adventuring years left. But it's a really cool part of the country and I've had a blast here and made some great friends, some of whom I hope to keep talking to for years to come.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
When I needed to move, I chose a region, then narrowed it down to four cities. I went to A and checked it out. Then drove three hours to B, didn't like it, drove back to A and signed the lease. Still love it after ten years. Haven't seen C or D to this day.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Spent months researching, then chose a specific area in the southern Appalachians and asked to be transferred there. The exact location was the result of chance, a combination of available open positions in the area combined with affordable, acceptable (to me) housing. I've been here for ten years and still love it.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I just hate how where I live depends on job availability in my career field, which is very niche and very hard to change. I don't hate where I live now, but if I could live somewhere else, I probably would.

But now I'm 36 years old and have only been with my current employer for 3 years and bought a house last year. So now I'm pretty settled. Still single though (and gay).

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I have been fortunate to live where I’ve always wanted to throughout my life, other than a minor exception in which I had to settle for Orange County instead of LA by 1 employer, following a promotion relocation from San Francisco.

My last 2 moves (San Diego and currently Miami) were requested by me and was aided by the fact I had been with the same company for a long time with trust built up and I worked out of a home based office.

I never had any desire to move up and work out of company HQ’s in Dallas and some of my friends in other fields (one dentist friend in particular) were a bit envious of me knowing they couldn’t just pack up, move to another city, and bring their clients or patients with them. I also traveled a fair amount on business and had a chance to visit Miami 15 times over a 3 year period, including a month long stay, before deciding to move here (with my job, before recently retiring)—so it was a well planned, not spontaneous, move. No regrets after 3.5 years.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-09-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-09-2020, 07:27 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Ended up here. Closer to relatives in Philly, and the job market in my field is more numerous than Pitt(supply chain) with a slightly lower cost of living. But I have no desire to stay in city limits long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.