Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 03:43 PM

101 posts, read 82,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Have you looked into Evergreen, CO? It’s a Denver suburb but it’s actually in the mountains. A little pricey though. Also I highly suggest looking into the Dillion/Frisco/Silverthorne area. It’s kinda reminiscent of what you find in the PNW https://goo.gl/maps/w1MfvENP7wg5a8r76
Not yet. Are you a native of CO? We are going to visit possibly next month. What areas would you recommend? What about the Western Slope area although we would prefer to be IN the mountains or less than an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 04:03 PM

113 posts, read 103,852 times
Since you mentioned Colorado, I would suggest Breckenridge, Aspen, Vail areas. It's very beautiful in the summer and winter months for all these areas. You also mentioned Durango, I've never been there but it is a good option as well. I would add Telluride which is in close proximity with Durango. Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:39 PM

994 posts, read 968,129 times
I hear nothing but good things about Telluride. My friends live in Leadville, which is a pretty small mining town in the mountains, though not what you're looking for. Its about a 45 minute? drive from i70 to wherever you need to get to. I have another friend that lives in Ogden,UT . while not immediately what you're looking for either, its just a thought.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:43 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I think I'd be careful with moving to Idaho. That poor state is obviously going to be overrun with population growth and development. Colorado is another one. NM is very dry. Nevada seems out for you also. It's a shame your not up to moving to Maine. It fits some of your needs but yeah on the other side of the country.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
Since you mentioned Colorado, I would suggest Breckenridge, Aspen, Vail areas. It's very beautiful in the summer and winter months for all these areas. You also mentioned Durango, I've never been there but it is a good option as well. I would add Telluride which is in close proximity with Durango. Hope this helps.
Thanks, sounds like we need to explore the whole state!

Old 09-13-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think I'd be careful with moving to Idaho. That poor state is obviously going to be overrun with population growth and development. Colorado is another one. NM is very dry. Nevada seems out for you also. It's a shame your not up to moving to Maine. It fits some of your needs but yeah on the other side of the country.
Yes it's bad. Any places in CO you can think of? We love MT but same issues there. Any other areas in the NE I should consider? Hope to consider it in the future maybe even part time.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:26 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
If you are from Washington, why not an area north of Spokane, or to the east of Walla Walla (Dayton?). Both areas have water and mountains. There is skiing in both locations, along with hiking, hunting and fishing. Walla Walla has great growing conditions for gardening, etc. I'm sure you can find a small town with mountain views, green grass, rivers or lakes, right in your own backyard.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:25 PM

113 posts, read 103,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRusco View Post
Thanks, sounds like we need to explore the whole state!
You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. Let us know how Colorado works out.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Bend / Bozeman "vibe" - of today (lots of restaurants, breweries, events, etc.) - generally goes with pretty big / crowded and much much more expensive than it used to be. The places that are ever are going to be fully like that are generally the places well along to that. It is a lot about location and acceptable access to major populations for customers by road or plane.

It would help to set a population size range. Under 5k, 20k, 50k, over 50k are very different and the number of choices vary.

And have a real estate price range. Of course buying / selling land parcels under $100k in lower level areas or houses under 300k is very different than some resort areas where much of the action is in a much higher range, into the millions to tens of millions.

You might like Kalispell / Whitefish area for "alpine" (most reachable at ski resort or peak of summer and less so otherwise) but not "sun" in winter. The latitude is a big part of this issue.

Hailey Idaho or further up Sun Valley might work for some. Summit County CO. Park City to Heber UT. Steamboat Springs CO is a mid-sized option. Near Cedar City UT might be a lesser known option that might work for some. Expect plenty of competition most places.

Durango to Telluride is 111 miles and over 2 hours on best days and is sometimes impossible for brief periods in winter due to pass closures.
The main local ski resort is Purgatory. If you want lush green into alpine, you'd want areas north, northeast or way east of Durango as opposed to south or generally west, though northwest might work for some. Gardening? Think starter greenhouses and short maturation crops and generally not crops that need lots of sunrays / days. Frost free period is among the briefest in country. But some stuff can be done on good enough land (not just anywhere) with right knowledge, investment, effort.

In terms of size & vibe, Flagstaff is somewhat comparable. More sun and a little alpine with plenty of sub-alpine forest and some small lakes.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-13-2021 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2021, 10:39 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Desert and canyon too. To use or ignore.

Living year round in high snow country is different than just visiting. Know how much winter you can take. 4 months, 6...

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-13-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.