Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:45 PM

365 posts, read 231,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
VERY different.
Yeah, according to the violent crime link in 2018 Massachusetts was just about average, in the same neighborhood as New York, Washington State, and Georgia. Frankly, that sounds about right to me (the other list was too generous to MA). The rest of New England is still near the top though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 06:47 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Yeah, according to the violent crime link in 2018 Massachusetts was just about average, in the same neighborhood as New York, Washington State, and Georgia. Frankly, that sounds about right to me.
And tbh that's the first time in a while New York has been above MA in violent crime rate in a while. Idk why property crime is so low in MA

Or why crime has declined in MA so precipitously since 2013. Mystery to me haven't lived in MA full time since 2017.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:38 PM

35,106 posts, read 31,381,963 times
All of this is local.

TN is at the bottom of the rankings. By the typical measures, it deserves the rankings - however, TN's problems are largely contained to Memphis, with some spillover into other bigger cities, and some bad rural areas.

I live in a townhome complex in Bristol. We're adjacent to a huge city park bigger than NYC Central Park and a trailer park on the other side. It's working to middle class - transition between renters on the far side, and the houses overlooking the park on the near side.

I leave my doors unlocked a lot. Never had a problem. I left my garage open for three hours mistakenly while I was working from home - neighbor knocked on my door letting me know my garage was open. Nothing was amiss. The city I live in is national average levels for crime.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:17 AM

1,002 posts, read 920,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
All of this is local.

TN is at the bottom of the rankings. By the typical measures, it deserves the rankings - however, TN's problems are largely contained to Memphis, with some spillover into other bigger cities, and some bad rural areas.

I live in a townhome complex in Bristol. We're adjacent to a huge city park bigger than NYC Central Park and a trailer park on the other side. It's working to middle class - transition between renters on the far side, and the houses overlooking the park on the near side.

I leave my doors unlocked a lot. Never had a problem. I left my garage open for three hours mistakenly while I was working from home - neighbor knocked on my door letting me know my garage was open. Nothing was amiss. The city I live in is national average levels for crime.
Yeah there's certainly a difference between states that have concentrated crime, vs widely distributed moderate levels of crime. Michigan is another state like that. Outside of Detroit and a handful of other cities, there are no unusual levels of crime.

OTOH, where I live in Vermont, my father left the keys in the ignition of his truck, and his garage door open, basically every day for 4 years. Nobody came to tell him the garage door was open because it's just normal to leave your house open even when you aren't home. Crime in many parts here is practically non-existent. That isn't the case everywhere.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Yeah there's certainly a difference between states that have concentrated crime, vs widely distributed moderate levels of crime. Michigan is another state like that. Outside of Detroit and a handful of other cities, there are no unusual levels of crime.

OTOH, where I live in Vermont, my father left the keys in the ignition of his truck, and his garage door open, basically every day for 4 years. Nobody came to tell him the garage door was open because it's just normal to leave your house open even when you aren't home. Crime in many parts here is practically non-existent. That isn't the case everywhere.
I would definitely put Tennessee in the category of "widely distributed moderate levels of crime" over just concentrated.
Memphis is bad, yes, but Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga all have notoriously high crime rates, especially for the sizes that they are. Smaller towns like Dyersburg and Dixon also have elevated crime problems.
It's not just Tennessee, though, it's a regional issue.
That being said, it's not that bad. I mean, people move to the south in droves and seem to like it.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 39,117 times
If you post a list with random values smattered about, and you don't include the website where you got the list from or what the numbers mean; please include the methodology, or I am gonna assume it's bad data. Comparing your list to every other list of state public safety rankings I found online, this list is very fishy. No idea why you'd make it up, or go out of your way to find such bunk numbers.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,171,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillandz View Post
If you post a list with random values smattered about, and you don't include the website where you got the list from or what the numbers mean; please include the methodology, or I am gonna assume it's bad data. Comparing your list to every other list of state public safety rankings I found online, this list is very fishy. No idea why you'd make it up, or go out of your way to find such bunk numbers.
I agree. I asked for a link to this information prior and no one ever posted where this info is coming from.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:39 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 19 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 982,783 times
Why is Maryland so low on the list, when Baltimore only comprises almost exactly 10% of state's population? Do neighboring areas also have major crime issues (Baltimore County)? Or is Baltimore City crime just that high. I'm just saying Maryland looks like it sticks out in the list.

Btw, not bashing Baltimore, I'm just wondering.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:46 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Why is Maryland so low on the list, when Baltimore only comprises almost exactly 10% of state's population? Do neighboring areas also have major crime issues (Baltimore County)? Or is Baltimore City crime just that high. I'm just saying Maryland looks like it sticks out in the list.

Btw, not bashing Baltimore, I'm just wondering.
In short, yes. Prince Georges County in particular, as well as inner Baltimore County + poorer rural locales on the Eastern Shore and in Western Maryland can have high crime rates.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:47 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,081,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Is there a link for the ratings?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

The list is based on 5 year (2015-2019) average homicide rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.