Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 04:17 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

But found it wasn't as bad as you heard?

There's soooo much info on the internet about cities, and of course forums all have people with different opinions, preferences etc.

Please shared your experiences if you've moved somewhere you might have been apprehensive about because you read that the:

Cold
Crime
Traffic
Bible Thumping
Atheism
Cost of living
Storms
Bugs
Rain
Overcast
Schools
Racism
Hail
Blizzards
Etc. Etc. was horrible and turned out not to be so bad.

Of course this will have a lot of variability on what an individual will tolerate how they adapt to the problems that actually do exist.

For instance I was warned about the constant gloominess and rain of the PNW. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard. I do enjoy rain, but coming from a very dry area, I was a tiny bit nervous to experience the kind of constant drizzle people seem to be annoyed by. One way I adapted was to keep an eye on the hourly weather and go out for walks or local bike rides in-between the rainy parts... and yes sometimes I'd get rained on, but I'm growing webbed feet.
My neighbor on the other hand can't wait to get back to Arizona!

Tell me your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 04:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
My parents were warned not to go to Orlando in 2010. Then they did.

Then they hated it. Horrible weather. Terrible jobs. Middle of the state with very limited things to do outside tacky tourist things and overpriced theme parks.

But the coolest thing was that the house they bought saw a 220% appreciation, a 22% per year appreciation.

So when they think they regretted it they realized how awesome their ROI was on the home.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:32 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
My dad grew up as a conservative Christian in Indiana. He moved to Chicago for school, so I assume he was warned plenty about the city before he moved.

He credits the move with turning him into a progressive, just seeing all different kinds of people on the train together and realizing they were all just trying to survive and make it in life like he was.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:46 PM

557 posts, read 297,410 times
  • Moved to NYC when I was 16yrs old. Detractors made it sound like Sodom & Gomorrah. It was a blast.
  • Commuted from NYC to Chicago for my career for 3yrs. Detractors said I would ruin my marriage, burn myself out, etc... Doubled my salary in 3yrs. Insured my family's financial future AND it was a blast.
  • Moved to a retirement community in Florida. Detractors made it sound like the men in these communities are from Sodom & Gomorrah, That HOAs are run by Nazis, That the heat&humidity would kill me. I love it here, the biggest best blast, yet...
Don't listen to detractors. Life is short. Go for it. If it doesn't work out, move on to the next place.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:49 PM

169 posts, read 127,100 times
I was warned not to move to Boston but I didn’t really care. I had a positive outlook and thought that would defeat the awful weather, horrible, rude people, angry drivers, and racists. I spent 3 years there and it was the single biggest mistake of my life. After shoveling snow and being miserable half of the year from overcast skies, having multiple Masssholes converse with me and blatantly and proudly use the n-word openly, and having not one but TWO vehicles totaled which were not my fault, I got out of there as quickly as my finances would allow me.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:28 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Moving to dc from Texas. “Why would you want to be around them east coast libs?”

Old 08-11-2021, 08:19 PM

169 posts, read 127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When was this.. 1967?

Also why the hell did you have a car in Boston?
1967? I don’t get it. Is that because of the racism comment I made? If so, then no. I left in 2014. Racism in Boston is alive, well, and thriving. Racism happens everywhere, it is what it is. But like it’s not frowned upon in Boston. It’s overt, liberal, and almost out in the open in some places.

Coworkers would assume I was like them — low-key racist — and would say stuff to me like, “I don’t have a problem with my daughter dating a black man. There’s a difference between an educated black man and a n-word. I wouldn’t let her date a n-word.” People around would nod and agree, like what was just said wasn’t unbelievably offensive. I even left that school and went to another thinking this was a richer, smarter area and therefore people wouldn’t be so lowbrow. But it was much of the same. “I’m not a bigot but have you noticed the type of students who cause all the trouble here?” Things like that said almost every single day.

Just a distasteful experience imo. Lots of rude, angry, miserable people in miserable, gloomy weather. Like Philly, but colder. Boston winters are hell on earth.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:28 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
1967? I don’t get it. Is that because of the racism comment I made? If so, then no. I left in 2014. Racism in Boston is alive, well, and thriving. Racism happens everywhere, it is what it is. But like it’s not frowned upon in Boston. It’s overt, liberal, and almost out in the open in some places.

Coworkers would assume I was like them — low-key racist — and would say stuff to me like, “I don’t have a problem with my daughter dating a black man. There’s a difference between an educated black man and a n-word. I wouldn’t let her date a n-word.” People around would nod and agree, like what was just said wasn’t unbelievably offensive. I even left that school and went to another thinking this was a richer, smarter area and therefore people wouldn’t be so lowbrow. But it was much of the same. “I’m not a bigot but have you noticed the type of students who cause all the trouble here?” Things like that said almost every single day.

Just a distasteful experience imo. Lots of rude, angry, miserable people in miserable, gloomy weather. Like Philly, but colder. Boston winters are hell on earth.
My perception of Boston is when you misgender or used the term “African American” you are in the HR office. What part of Boston did you live in? This isnt Boston specific at all and does not sound right. Im white but I have a last name that looks hispanic to most people if you drop as and add a z. The only five places iveoutwardly heard the N Word be used by white people in public settings were Orlando, Charlotte, various places in Indiana, Syracuse and NYC (but the guy was a crackhead).

You also left before the big boom and at the beginning of the restructuring of the city of Boston. Im assuming a lot of your experiences were int he late 2000s. Boston in 2021 is a completely different city then in 2010.. but really, where did you live? Even for that time it just sounds strange.

When I went to school in Florida and they found out my moms surname, they said “oh youre one of them puerto ricans... i thought you were white. Too bad.” And “oh you are going to school in NY? WIth all those n lovers?” Among other comments.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:29 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
My perception of Boston is when you misgender or used the term “African American” you are in the HR office. What part of Boston did you live in? This isnt Boston specific at all and does not sound right. Im white but I have a last name that looks hispanic to most people if you drop as and add a z. The only five places iveoutwardly heard the N Word be used by white people in public settings were Orlando, Charlotte, various places in Indiana, Syracuse and NYC (but the guy was a crackhead).

You also left before the big boom and at the beginning of the restructuring of the city of Boston. Im assuming a lot of your experiences were int he late 2000s. Boston in 2021 is a completely different city then in 2010.. but really, where did you live? Even for that time it just sounds strange.

When I went to school in Florida and they found out my moms surname, they said “oh youre one of them puerto ricans... i thought you were white. Too bad.” And “oh you are going to school in NY? WIth all those n lovers?” Among other comments.
This was in Orlando?

Old 08-12-2021, 08:53 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
I'm moving to the suburbs of Detroit soon. I've heard both sides of it, read the statistics and have reason to believe the suburbs are significant different. I still have my reservations. We'll see how it goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.